docs needed for St. Martin

xray

We are planning on going to the downtown area in St. Martin. Will I need my US passport or will my drivers license with pic and ship ID with pic be enough to get thru port security?

I really do not want to take our passports off ship.

I believe a passport is not required to fly within the US and that a DL with pic and a Certified Birth Certificate will allow me to get thru the airport security and also board the ship? Is that correct? I was asked this by a co-worker and wanted to be sure before answering. This is for a closed loop FLL to FLL sailing and we're US Citizens.

Thanks,

Xray

We are planning on going to the downtown area in St. Martin. Will I need my US passport or will my drivers license with pic and ship ID with pic be enough to get thru port security?

I believe a passport is not required to fly within the US and that a DL with pic and a Certified Birth Certificate will allow me to get thru the airport security and also board the ship? Is that correct? I was asked this by a co-worker and wanted to be sure before answering. This is for a closed loop FLL to FLL sailing and we're US Citizens.

Thanks,

Xray

When in St. Martin, all you need is DL and your ship seapass to get back on the ship.

When in St. Martin, all you need is DL and your ship seapass to get back on the ship.

I don't recall they've ever asked for anything but a seapass getting off and on at St. Martin, but you may as well take a drivers license. No need for a passport.

As for you co-workers question, yes a DL and birth certificate should be OK. If I were them though, I'd want to verify any questions like that myself with the cruise line rather than rely on a strangers reply on a message board:D

Edited by bouhunter

I was just in St. Martin last week sailing on the Freedom of the Seas. We were told to bring our SeaPasses and a photo id (either drivers license or passport) when we left the ship, but the only thing that was ever checked (by Royal Carribbean or the Port Authority) was our SeaPass.

In San Juan they told us the same thing, take your drivers license (or passport) and SeaPass and when we returned to the ship there was a Port Authority officer checking every single person's SeaPass and photo ID just get through the gates to the pier.

For the cruise my wife was traveling with her DL and a birth certificate and I traveled with my Passport, either is acceptable for a closed loop cruise originating and ending at a US port.

As far as flying, it is possible to fly with no photo ID at all.

Every time we have been in St. Maarten, probably 10 cruises, our taxi has been stopped as we enter the port area and we have been required to show seapass & DL. The taxi drivers have all given us a heads up as we approach to have them ready for security.

Sherri:)

The cruise compass will tell you what to bring when you go ashore. As to flying you do need a govt issued photo id. I always suggest to.friends that they take a passport because in an emergency if you need to.fly home from a foreign port you need your passport.

Okay, I'll say it... I would never set foot outside the U.S. without having my passport with me. Leaving the passport on the ship out of fear of losing it is, in my opinion, a mistake. Driver License, Cruise I.D.... these might get you on and off the ship alright, but neither carries any official weight. Neither is necessarily going to be recognized or accepted for anything. A passport is the single most powerful document you can travel with. If it gets wet, it get bent/mangled, so what? The thought of being on foreign soil anywhere, without the ability to prove beyond a doubt who I am? That scares the heck out of me!

Many cruise lines (not RCI) actually hold ones passport when you board the ship. So, you don't take it with you. Only exception are the few places around the world who require you to carry the passport with you or if you are checking into a hotel.

To me it is very simple. I truly believe that there is a much higher chance that I would lose the passport or have it stolen rather than the benefit of carrying it with me. I have traveled the world for business and for pleasure and never carry it with me except for the exceptions I mentioned.

Keith

Okay, I'll say it... I would never set foot outside the U.S. without having my passport with me. Leaving the passport on the ship out of fear of losing it is, in my opinion, a mistake. Driver License, Cruise I.D.... these might get you on and off the ship alright, but neither carries any official weight. Neither is necessarily going to be recognized or accepted for anything. A passport is the single most powerful document you can travel with. If it gets wet, it get bent/mangled, so what? The thought of being on foreign soil anywhere, without the ability to prove beyond a doubt who I am? That scares the heck out of me!

Completely agree!! If you aren't on native soil, carry your passport. It's the one safeguard you have when the unthinkable happens.

Absolutely agree 100%.

Many cruise lines (not RCI) actually hold ones passport when you board the ship. So, you don't take it with you. Only exception are the few places around the world who require you to carry the passport with you or if you are checking into a hotel.

Actually, RCI does. It's not certain cruise lines, it's certain destinations, where C&I boards the ship and reviews documents in advance.

This is being a little paranoid.

The Caribbean isn't exactly like going to Beirut or Lebanon.

Your more likely to lose it than need to use it.

You will be fine with your S&S and drivers license..

This is being a little paranoid.

The Caribbean isn't exactly like going to Beirut or Lebanon.

Your more likely to lose it than need to use it.

You will be fine with your S&S and drivers license..

I don't find it to be paranoid at all. I travel regularly, and just can't see the wisdom behind not carrying a passport out of fear of losing it.

You are correct, if you uncomfortable leaving your passport on the ship, by all means take it with you. However many folks feel uncomfortable taking it with them and feel it's safer in the safe in their cabin. No one is right or wrong.

I guess TSA will make exceptions, but this statement is pretty much WRONG. Bad advice to say the least.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/acceptable-ids

My statement is not wrong, it's absolutely correct and the link that you posted validates my statement. Furthermore, I did not give advice about using or not using a photo ID when attempting to fly, I simply stated that it's "possible", which is EXACTLY what the information on the link you posted says.

I'll give you some advice though, if you're going to try and prove a person wrong don't post information that proves yourself wrong. :D

That TSA page covers U.S. domestic flights only.

A passport is required to enter the United State via airplane. If, for some reason, the ship leaves port without you, it'd be to your benefit (to put it mildly) to have your passport in your possession.

You are correct, if you uncomfortable leaving your passport on the ship, by all means take it with you. However many folks feel uncomfortable taking it with them and feel it's safer in the safe in their cabin. No one is right or wrong.

Well, that's a nice warm and fuzzy way to look at it. However, there are times when life is a little more black and white. I stand by my statement that choosing not to carry one's passport is a mistake.

I believe a passport is not required to fly within the US and that a DL with pic and a Certified Birth Certificate will allow me to get thru the airport security and also board the ship?

You will not need the birth certificate to get through airport security, just your DL and boarding pass. The DL and birth certificate will both be needed to get on the ship, in the absence of a passport.

Actually I believe it's more a matter of where the cruise is headed. I've never heard of any cruise line keeping passports for Caribbean cruises, and can say with certainty that RC, Celebrity, Princess and Carnival do not hold them on these itineraries.