Any point in asking?

voyageur9

We're in a BB GTY on a 7-day Western Caribbean cruise in March.

Anyone on CC have experience with or suggestions about whether it's worthwhile or even possible to voice a preference to HAL and/or the TA who booked the cruise about cabin location.

For instance, if one prefers port or starboard (for this particular itinerary) or forward over aft, does it make sense to let HAL know. And, if so, how?

While I fully understand the perils/merits of booking a GTY, any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance

If you don't ask, you don't get. Might as well give it a shot; the worst that happens is HAL ignores your request.

If I were to book a guarantee, I would have my TA note my preferences, and give HAL the opportunity to fill my request.

I did book a guarantee once, because by the time I booked there were no cabins in a suitable location. I was assigned a cabin in my booked category, and it was in a horrible location---meaning far too much walking for my ability. I asked my TA to see what she could do, and HAL did switch me to another cabin in my category, but at least aft of the forward elevator.

Edited by RuthC

As others have said, no harm in asking.

But who should you ask? In other words, who exactly is responsible for making cabin assignments. I have the impression that the Hotel Mgr. on the ship can make those decisions or change those decisions. On our last collector's voyage followed by a back to back TA on the Prinsendam the day before start of the TA we were told that we had to move to a different stateroom. Same category, one deck higher. We complained as we didn't want to spend the day in Civitavecchia moving to basically the same stateroom and didn't appreciate being told about it with one day's notice. The front desk said they needed to get permission from Seattle for us to stay in the same outside cabin and a few hours later they said OK, you don't have to move. Still don't know who decided we should move and who decided we didn't have to.

But who should you ask? In other words, who exactly is responsible for making cabin assignments.

Cabin assignments are made in Seattle, prior to the cruise boarding. That's why the OP was directed to the TA, so the record could be noted.

Now, whether or not anyone pays attention to the notation is another matter.

But who should you ask? In other words, who exactly is responsible for making cabin assignments. I have the impression that the Hotel Mgr. on the ship can make those decisions or change those decisions.

The Hotel Mgr has nothing to do with cabin assignments.. Seattle

does that..

On our last collector's voyage followed by a back to back TA on the Prinsendam the day before start of the TA we were told that we had to move to a different stateroom. Same category, one deck higher. We complained as we didn't want to spend the day in Civitavecchia moving to basically the same stateroom and didn't appreciate being told about it with one day's notice. The front desk said they needed to get permission from Seattle for us to stay in the same outside cabin and a few hours later they said OK, you don't have to move. Still don't know who decided we should move and who decided we didn't have to.

Where did you get the impression that the Hotel Mgr. has the last say in cabin assignment?

I believe that Seattle has always assigned cabins & has been responsible for asking Psgrs to move.. If you book with a Travel Agent ask him/her to have HAL make a note of your cabin preference.. If you book directly with HAL ask the Agent who took the booking to make that note..

However, IMO you would be much better booking the exact cabin yourself unless here are no cabins in your preferred category..

Betty

Where did you get the impression that the Hotel Mgr. has the last say in cabin assignment?

I believe that Seattle has always assigned cabins & has been responsible for asking Psgrs to move.. If you book with a Travel Agent ask him/her to have HAL make a note of your cabin preference.. If you book directly with HAL ask the Agent who took the booking to make that note..

However, IMO you would be much better booking the exact cabin yourself unless here are no cabins in your preferred category..

Betty

Not the last say, but the ability to make changes when there are vacant cabins onboard. We were once moved mid-cruise when our cabin flooded and I have noticed passengers asking at the front desk for different cabins when boarding a ship with vacant cabins. I had assumed that authority would have been delegated to the Hotel Manager.

We were once moved mid-cruise when our cabin flooded and I have noticed passengers asking at the front desk for different cabins when boarding a ship with vacant cabins. I had assumed that authority would have been delegated to the Hotel Manager.

Moving someone from a flooded cabin is an emergency situation that is properly dealt with on board.

Asking to move to another (typically higher category) cabin on embarkation comes with the additional charge that category brings. That is also dealt with on board.

But initial assignment of cabins is done in Seattle as a standard procedure.

If you book guaranty you are rolling the dice... what you are guaranteed is a cabin in the category you chose. If you have a preference you should bite the bullet and pay for what you want.

To me the beauty of booking guaranty is the possibility of getting a free upgrade to a better category. So far I've been lucky...with the worst experience being stuck in the cabin under the dishwasher on the Maasdam. Once on board we complained and were offered another cabin but I'm sure they were aware of the issue and expected us to say something.

It seems like the larger ships have more upgrade opportunities.