What makes it special for a guy?

Jane2357

As my 20th Anniv. cruise finally draws near after 2 years in the planning, I am asking for your help. DH is turning 60 on Jan. 3 - and is an amazing guy to have put up with me for this long. :p Land vacations are his thing but he has learned to like cruising because I love cruising. :D I'd really like to find something this cruise that will make it really special for him because let's face it - it is usually about me ;) He never asks for anything and for once I'd like to have it be about him. We are not Elite so no invites to a sail away on the heli pad - although would it be in poor taste to ask? I'm just racking my brain about what a guy would think is cool? I've ordered his fav beverage for the in cabin bar setup - we have some nice excursions booked but I'm thinking WHAT CAN I DO FOR ON SHIP? I do think he'd like the wine tasting so will check into that. A massage? Guys - what would you be happy with if your wife tried to find a way to give you a great time?

Edited by Jane2357

Hi Jane,

I know my husband likes to learn\see how things work. I read somewhere on celebrity boards that you can purchase a visit to the bridge and kitchen, My hubby would be in his glory. He would see how the boat drives, the kitchen is able to serve soo many people and to have a sit down meal in the kitchen. Heard they only sell a few tickets, so if you think it would be of interest call Celebrity. Happy Anniversary and a Happy B-day to your DH.

Is he a foodie? What about the Chef's table? This is a very special dinner held in the galley if there are enough to sign up for it (8 people, I think). Here is a thread about it

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1848730

neverbeenthere and I were typing at the same time!

Edited by YVR cruiser

If every male would be honest and not try to give the right or so called correct answer this is what they say.

Give me the drink package and then leave me alone and don't complain about me drinking too much. 🍸🍻

If every male would be honest and not try to give the right or so called correct answer this is what they say.

Give me the drink package and then leave me alone and don't complain about me drinking too much.

We just did a TA with the package, I like it when she was with me :D

Also one drink means more then one

Edited by Airbalancer

I set my DH up with a deep sea fishing excursion that I did not go on. He got to fish all day and not worry about whether or not I was having a good time. I took advantage of having the day to myself and booked a spa day while in port (discounts!) and got pampered all day! It was a win-win! He enjoyed his MAN day, I enjoyed my girlie day, and it made for a great reunion that evening! The best part was hearing his exciting stories of the fish caught that day!

Not sure if they have this on Solstice class ships but we did the couples Rasul (sp?) on Summit last summer. You get a private room to slather mud and other treatments on each other, steam room, shower, etc. After that, they take you to a special jacuzzi tub for two in another private room, filled with nice bath milk water and relaxing lighting. You are alone, just the two of you, the entire time. You could do that before or after a couple's massage. For the couple's massage, they have the massage tables for both of you side by side with two therapists. Don't know if he's into spa stuff...but if he is... ;)

Not sure if they have this on Solstice class ships but we did the couples Rasul (sp?) on Summit last summer. You get a private room to slather mud and other treatments on each other, steam room, shower, etc. After that, they take you to a special jacuzzi tub for two in another private room, filled with nice bath milk water and relaxing lighting. You are alone, just the two of you, the entire time. You could do that before or after a couple's massage. For the couple's massage, they have the massage tables for both of you side by side with two therapists. Don't know if he's into spa stuff...but if he is... ;)

Guy here and that all sounds great to me! Am planning on Rasul on our next cruise.

Balcony time :p is always fun and if he's a poker player maybe buy him an entry into a tourney if there is one.

I assume most all realize each 'guy' is different and when being honest, the answer won't be give me drinks and leave me alone.

I enjoy the talks by highly knowledgeable speakers Celebrity has on many cruises.

I enjoy reading up on some special thing of a port and taking that in, so let your guy pick a tour that he really wants.

I enjoy hitting the outside grill and hogging down a freshly grilled hamburger with everything on it and gulping a special beer

I enjoy getting into that Tux and walking up to the Bar, leaning over and ordering a Gin Martini, shaken not stirred, with a minimum of 3 olives.

I enjoy meeting new people or hanging with old friends and playing cards.

But the reason I cruise is to be with my wife with minimal distractions: family, TV, telephones, work, obligations, honey-do's, news.....

All of that is very subjective.

But I will recommend one thing most 'guys' would appreciate - a veranda. I don't really think this is just me, but it takes me 2 minutes to get ready to go and it takes my wife, shall we say, a bit more time. So get a veranda so we 'guys' can sit out there watching the sea run by, time the flying fish or just gaze at the horizon instead of standing around in the SR fidgeting and 'helping' the wife get ready.

Den

Edited by Denny01

I assume most all realize each 'guy' is different and when being honest, the answer won't be give me drinks and leave me alone.

I enjoy the talks by highly knowledgeable speakers Celebrity has on many cruises.

I enjoy reading up on some special thing of a port and taking that in, so let your guy pick a tour that he really wants.

I enjoy hitting the outside grill and hogging down a freshly grilled hamburger with everything on it and gulping a special beer

I enjoy getting into that Tux and walking up to the Bar, leaning over and ordering a Gin Martini, shaken not stirred, with a minimum of 3 olives.

I enjoy meeting new people or hanging with old friends and playing cards.

But the reason I cruise is to be with my wife with minimal distractions: family, TV, telephones, work, obligations, honey-do's, news.....

All of that is very subjective.

But I will recommend one thing most 'guys' would appreciate - a veranda. I don't really think this is just me, but it takes me 2 minutes to get ready to go and it takes my wife, shall we say, a bit more time. So get a veranda so we 'guys' can sit out there watching the sea run by, time the flying fish or just gaze at the horizon instead of standing around in the SR fidgeting and 'helping' the wife get ready.

Den

Great post and spot on.:D

My husband likes port intensive cruises. He views the ship as more of a way of transport that's really nice, and the ports as the real destination. We had a lovely cruise we go off of yesterday but hubby was disappointed with the only one port stop at princess private island.

So we are now booking an 11 day Panama Canal tour that visits 6 different countries

As my 20th Anniv. cruise finally draws near after 2 years in the planning, I am asking for your help. DH is turning 60 on Jan. 3 - and is an amazing guy to have put up with me for this long. :p Land vacations are his thing but he has learned to like cruising because I love cruising............
As land vacations are his thing, just pick a port intensive cruise.

That way you can easily book him special excursions at the various ports that provide the types of activities he would enjoy on a land vacation.

There are all sorts of possibilities depending on his interests, for example helicopter flights, zip lining, BOSS underwater scooters, segways, scuba diving, deep sea fishing, visits to forts or museums or ruins or other historical sites, horseback riding, rain forest or mountain hikes, to name a few.

Then you can accompany him on the excursions that also appeal to you, skip the ones that don't and go do your own thing instead on those days.

That way it should be a very enjoyable vacation for both of you.

As land vacations are his thing, just pick a port intensive cruise.

That way you can easily book him special excursions at the various ports that provide the types of activities he would enjoy on a land vacation.

There are all sorts of possibilities depending on his interests, for example helicopter flights, zip lining, BOSS underwater scooters, segways, scuba diving, deep sea fishing, visits to forts or museums or ruins or other historical sites, horseback riding, rain forest or mountain hikes, to name a few.

Then you can accompany him on the excursions that also appeal to you, skip the ones that don't and go do your own thing instead on those days.

That way it should be a very enjoyable vacation for both of you.

I agree. I just booked a surprise cruise that sails 9 days after hubbies birthday and am going to surprise him , it's all ports he likes except princess cost, so we will just stay on the uncrowded boat that day and enjoy

I've bought him massages and such in the past and he's just given them to my daughter so I never bothered with that again.

Also most men like history maybe you can surprise him like I'm planning to with a little history I was thinking for presenting the suprise tickets that way to him with a history abut the ports maybe a book and also a picture of his family waiting echo I will surprise him with them meeting us at port in Puerto Rico !

If he is into watersports - my husband absolutely loved the time on the Americas Cup sailing boats in St. Maarten. This was a 1/2 day tour offered by Celebrity. One could just be passenger or also get a chance to steer the boat or help with the sailing, etc. Drinks were also provided.

DH likes his choice for tours, gambling when he feels like it, a special dinner, and all the storage space.

He'd rather I not book a spa appointment on his behalf.

Better to give him a coupon for the spa to use at his discretion and leisure.

Same with dining and gambling, he'd rather choose those.

A book he'd relish and time sitting with me beside him on the promenade make him happy. He'd like a coupon book and surprises in the verandah cabin. He'd be thrilled to find me agreeable to his cruise time choices as most things are a compromise.

-Marisa

Edited by USVI-4-me

Does he like technology?? I would get him a new tablet, on Ipads, you can make an imovie which my hubby does for me EVERY year. You could buy it before, load it up with books, websites that he loves, do a bunch of music and pictures from the years. It would take some time, but its the gift that keeps on giving.

I know my guy loves having the newest thing. He is big time into our ipad/iphone/mac etc. Those are his weakness.

Hope you guys have a fantastic time.

Happy Anniversary.

Chass

The only thing I would find special would be a shore excursion that I would want to do but wouldn't feel comfortable spending the $ on.

I don't know what your husbands interests are but I love motorcycles and cars. In Monte Carlo a few years back I should have taken a Ferrari for a drive. I also think some of the islands have Motorcycle rentals/tours. Either would work for me. If he's in to golf see if there is a nice golf course and treat him to a day on the course.

It sounds however that your husband is fine with the old adage, "Happy Wife Happy Life" which may be all he needs. Don't force or pressure him into doing anything, if he's like most men he'll let you know if he wants something special.

+1

My hubby loved couples Rasul, but I've not seen it offered on the S-Class...it is TRULY AWESOME though!! They had Hamas on the Reflection which was very nice, but the steam rooms on the Eclipse or Silhouette were not as large for this. My hubby totally loved the time I booked for him for the facial and close shave....with the exception of the hard sell at the end (which I now wish I would have dealt with before he got it!). Having said that, my hubby would love having the drink plan or some sort of cool electronic (he's a geek!) as a gift. I do wish that the S-Class ships were designed with Rasul in mind....we took advantage of it on the Norwegian Pearl and it was really amazing!

We own Miatas and we love them, but I have to say the Exotic Car thing would rock his world as well!

Edited by islandgirlejfan