yes, I know its weird but...

The average aussie toilet is fine, you won't have a problem with it.

Mind you, a few years back, we took 2 young American girls to see the penguin parade at Phillip Island. It is a popular tourist spot. The girls used the loo and one came out and commented on how unusual they were. Mine had been perfectly normal but apparently hers had been Asian style. I would say management had put in a few Asian toilets to cater for the tourists but they should have had signs on the doors to warn people!!

Now this is very interesting and good to know.

Thanks, we will have to check!

ML

Just back from the Celebrity Solstice Aukland to Sydney; we also spent two days in Hong Kong. Without exception, all of the toilets encountered were cleaner and the bathrooms as a whole -- even in food courts, airports, etc. -- were more modern and well-kept than those in my home-town and birthplace, NYC.

We had good luck in Hong Kong too but not the rest of China (except our 5 star hotel in Beijing, as noted previously).

I grew up in the Bronx and some NYC bathrooms are quite...eccentric ;)

ML

There is a myth that the water in the toilet bowl flushes a different way in the northern hemisphere to the Southern Hemisphere......... In Hawaii I watched the water flush away & could not see any difference....

The toilets in Australia & nz are of world standard. Public toilets are yuck (visit mcdonalds if you need to go). Unlike Europe you don't need to pay to pee in Australia.

I added the color for emphasis. Yes, it is a quaint little custom they have in Europe. I can't figure it out--often they still aren't very good?

I have heard that south of the equator the water circulates opposite of north of the equator but never had a chance to check it out!!

ML

Good point, like down here in Batemans Bay, 6 motels all built in the 1960's/70's, top rating probably 3 star, so KarateMan would be stuffed. But no worries the toilets are ok.

Yes there are some shocking loos around the world, some of the worse I have seen are the ones on the motorways in Europe, when one is on a coach tour and you stop at a servo (gas station to the Americans) with 20 other coaches.

We had 50 coaches at one stop.

The locals get know what time they all arrive and know that the toilets get crowded...

the pickpockets have a field day , and its not until the coach is well on its way again that someone realises that their wallet is missing..:eek:

I have heard that south of the equator the water circulates opposite of north of the equator but never had a chance to check it out!!

ML

This is true, but you won't get much chance to check it out. I think this difference in motion would only be noticeable in a perfectly circular bowl with the liquid added in such a way that it didn't influence the result.

As a funny aside, the first time we flew to the northern hemisphere our young boys went to the bathroom in the plane and tried to test out the theory about the water. Obviously, this experiment didn't work on a moving plane where there were a lot of factors affecting the movement of the water, but full marks to them for thinking of it and trying it out.

I added the color for emphasis. Yes, it is a quaint little custom they have in Europe. I can't figure it out--often they still aren't very good?

ML

Yes its quite true...:D...just like when you cross the equator on a cruise ship...the Captain has to speed up a bit so he can get over the "bump" as he crosses the line.:D:D

Yes its quite true...:D...just like when you cross the equator on a cruise ship...the Captain has to speed up a bit so he can get over the "bump" as he crosses the line.:D:D

But what about at night???-- when he can't see the line???

Barry

We had 50 coaches at one stop.

The locals get know what time they all arrive and know that the toilets get crowded...

the pickpockets have a field day , and its not until the coach is well on its way again that someone realises that their wallet is missing..:eek:

And in the coach carpark the Gypsies (sorry, called travellers these days) throw their babies at you whilst another of their species picks your pocket.

LOL! Can't wait to feel this for ourselves ;)

Thinking of remodeling our bathroom--lots of good ideas here! :D

This is true, but you won't get much chance to check it out. I think this difference in motion would only be noticeable in a perfectly circular bowl with the liquid added in such a way that it didn't influence the result.

As a funny aside, the first time we flew to the northern hemisphere our young boys went to the bathroom in the plane and tried to test out the theory about the water. Obviously, this experiment didn't work on a moving plane where there were a lot of factors affecting the movement of the water, but full marks to them for thinking of it and trying it out.

Did you really mean to use the word motion or was it just a typo :D:D:D

It wasn't a typo. We were discussing which way water goes down the plughole in a handbasin in the northern hemisphere compared with the southern hemisphere.:)

So that would be the DIRECTION of the motion:rolleyes::rolleyes::D

NoWhiners,

Not sure if you are aware of a bathroom website, it may be of help during your travels around the world.

You may wish to add to the listings.

www.thebathroomdiaries.com

erewhon

This very cool and helpful--thanks!! I did bookmark it, so no more threads required to ask.

Thanks and happy New Year

ML