Miami hotel battle: Holiday Inn vs. Hampton Inn

ClassyGame

I'm looking for opinions from people who have stayed at one or both of these downtown hotels. I know the Holiday Inn is much closer to the port, but the Hampton Inn is updated and modern.

Taking into consideration that we'll be flying in three days before the cruise, want to do some sight-seeing, and probably won't be renting a car, which would you recommend?

Edited by ClassyGame

With no question the Hampton Inn. It is quite a bit newer and a nice hotel and includes a very nice breakfast.

It is located right near Mary Brickell Village which to me has a much nicer array of restaurants and shopping than Bayside which is where the Holiday Inn is located. There are so many restaurants to choose from at different price points and also a Publix Grocery store right nearby as well as a Pharmacy.

There is quite a bit that you can walk to if you like to walk and you also have taxis and public transportation.

Without a doubt, I would select the Hampton Inn.

Keith

With no question the Hampton Inn. It is quite a bit newer and a nice hotel and includes a very nice breakfast.

It is located right near Mary Brickell Village which to me has a much nicer array of restaurants and shopping than Bayside which is where the Holiday Inn is located. There are so many restaurants to choose from at different price points and also a Publix Grocery store right nearby as well as a Pharmacy.

There is quite a bit that you can walk to if you like to walk and you also have taxis and public transportation.

Without a doubt, I would select the Hampton Inn.

Keith

Thank you so much! I didn't realize Hampton had free breakfast - that's great! Saves us some money in the morning.

I saw somewhere that there is a monorail from the airport that drops you off about a block from the Hampton Inn - is this true?

There is the Metromover right nearby but I believe its stops are all downtown.

http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/metromover-stations.asp

There is also a train to the airport but best for someone local or more familiar with it to comment.

If you have a lot of luggage using a taxi would likely be easier.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

There is the Metromover right nearby but I believe its stops are all downtown.

http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/metromover-stations.asp

There is also a train to the airport but best for someone local or more familiar with it to comment.

If you have a lot of luggage using a taxi would likely be easier.

Keith

I thiiiiink the orange line on the map on the link is the Metrorail, and I think it goes to the airport. I'll check more into it though. Thank you for your help, Keith!

It appears that you are cruising in November when prices should be lower -- instead of any downtown hotel for a 3-day stay I would stay in Miami Beach, as close to South Beach as possible. Beach, dining, shopping, people watching, nightlife, etc.

Hey cool cruiser...

Acknowleging that you are a young couple (judging by your photo) and you want to do some sightseeing whilst in Miami, I'd presume that you would want something modern like you hinted on. I've stayed at the Hampton Inn since it's "revival" but I'm gonna break from the norm here and suggest a different hotel alltogether the JW Marquis Marriot will be more suited to you. It's cool and hip, usually expensive but you can often book via the likes of Reservation Scanner for a serious discount. That's exactly what we did over Christmas and the savings allowed us to have an awsome party VIP weekend :)

Keith, does the Hampton Inn offer a shuttle service to the port? If so, do you know what it costs? We have reservations for next Sept. pre-cruise & looking forward to our stay after reading the many positive comments.

Not Keith but I have read someplace here there is a shuttle for $8 pp

taxi is probably about the same total price

Will report back we are staying there on the 12th

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

Reservation Scanner for a serious discount. That's exactly what we did over Christmas and the savings allowed us to have an awsome party VIP weekend :)

It may work for some properties I checked for the Haqmpton Inn it was more than what I paid booking direct with the hotel

So do compare before you commit

Hey cool cruiser...

Acknowleging that you are a young couple (judging by your photo) and you want to do some sightseeing whilst in Miami, I'd presume that you would want something modern like you hinted on. I've stayed at the Hampton Inn since it's "revival" but I'm gonna break from the norm here and suggest a different hotel alltogether the JW Marquis Marriot will be more suited to you. It's cool and hip, usually expensive but you can often book via the likes of Reservation Scanner for a serious discount. That's exactly what we did over Christmas and the savings allowed us to have an awsome party VIP weekend :)

What revival did the Hampton Inn Brickell have? It's fairly new.

It's actually a fairly hip hotel itself.

I'm looking for opinions from people who have stayed at one or both of these downtown hotels. I know the Holiday Inn is much closer to the port, but the Hampton Inn is updated and modern.

Taking into consideration that we'll be flying in three days before the cruise, want to do some sight-seeing, and probably won't be renting a car, which would you recommend?

While I have not stayed at the Holiday Inn, I have stayed at the Hampton Inn in the last 1 1/2 years while looking for condos on Brickell. I live within spitting distance of the Hampton Inn when I'm in Miami and can tell you it's a great area.

I am over by the Holiday Inn all the time as I go to the Heat games a lot and also bar hop and dine over in that area. I do much more in the Brickell area however as I live there. There are tons of restaurants and bars as well as nightlife over in Brickell. Actually a new gastropub called Batch Gatropub is about to open right at the bottom of The Hampton Inn. The nightlife is big in this area and is a young crowd, especially late at night. Some of the bars are open until 5 am.

By myself I wouldn't walk over by the Holiday Inn at night, but i walk all the time over on Brickell.

It costs me about $12 to get to the port from the area. And my husband and I walk home from the area around the Holiday Inn all the time. It's only about 1.3 miles from one hotel to the other.

Keith, does the Hampton Inn offer a shuttle service to the port? If so, do you know what it costs? We have reservations for next Sept. pre-cruise & looking forward to our stay after reading the many positive comments.

I see that your question has been answered.

If it is two of you I would go with the taxi.

It is a short ride to the port. I would say around 10 minutes.

Keith