Celebrity's Dress Code

ladyjane550

With all the rhetoric about formal nights, do the cruise lines do anything different for the passengers in the MDR on these nights? I am confused with an earlier post about respect for the Captain and his officers. Their role for which they would be well paid is to provide "service" for the "Paying" passengers. Respect does not come into it. If 3000 passengers decided to move to another cruise line they would be out of a job.

The crew will move with the times and the times they are changing. Dinosaurs once walked the earth, perhaps today some sail the seas.

With all the rhetoric about formal nights, do the cruise lines do anything different for the passengers in the MDR on these nights? I am confused with an earlier post about respect for the Captain and his officers. Their role for which they would be well paid is to provide "service" for the "Paying" passengers. Respect does not come into it. If 3000 passengers decided to move to another cruise line they would be out of a job.

The crew will move with the times and the times they are changing. Dinosaurs once walked the earth, perhaps today some sail the seas.

Maybe it would be nice to get at least one cruise under your belt before offering your expert opinion on how things are on a cruise ship. I hope you enjoy your first cruise and have a wonderful time enjoying the unique experience that cruising provides. Part of it can be a few nights in the main dining room with a lovely formal ambience. For those who don't care to participate Celebrity offers many smart casual options or you can even dine in your PJs in your cabin.

Dinosaurs once walked the earth, perhaps today some sail the seas.

SPOT ON!!! :) *T*H*O*S*E* were the GOOD OL' DAYS! ;)

When every CULTURED T-REX wore a TUX! :cool:

...before that asteroid gave rise to all these pesky MAMMALS... :mad:

...and their CASUAL WEAR ruined the FORMAL ambiance of the entire planet! :D

Edited by teecee60

SPOT ON!!! *T*H*O*S*E* were the GOOD OL' DAYS!

When every CULTURED T-REX wore a TUX! :cool:

...before that asteroid gave rise to all these pesky MAMMALS... :mad:

...and their CASUAL WEAR ruined the FORMAL ambiance of the entire planet!

I enjoy dressing formally for the formal nights as well as for other special occasions when on board. :D

I suppose that makes me a dinosaur, I must be a PLEASURECRUISEUR.:eek:

IMHO, when serious issues such as mental and spousal abuse are brought into dress code discussions ............frankly while you may well be entitled to your opinion, if you don't know what you are talking about your opinion really does not matter.

After going through several long court battling divorce proceedings, believe me she will bring it up that you embarssed her in public while not dressing formally on a formal night on a cruise and she was in formal attire and as a result(according to her lawyer and her on stand tearful testimony) suffered severe emotional and mental abuse resulting from embarrassing stares from her fellow passengers. So yea, it's my honest opinion that it can happen. With my 3rd wife I never fail without hesitation to go full tux on formal nights. I can't afford to loose another 1/2 of a house and still maintain my cruising lifestyle that I have become accustomed too. Mental abuse of a spouse is a silent killer.

I will be traveling with 2 girlfriends on the March 6th Panama Canal Cruise. I love the atmosphere of a lovely restaurant, people dressed beautifully, and nice service. I am from New Orleans, a retired stewardess (not flight attendant), and someone that wants to keep certain traditions alive. I am so happy that we have the choice to dress or not. The Girls and I may or may not bring formal clothes. In the least I will search out those that are dressing, and wish them a beautiful, unforgettable night.

My wife and I both live in New Orleans as well. (I'm a native, DW a 20 year Ohio transplant). It doesn't take much of an excuse to get one of us to dress for a party. I even wear my tux to the Audubon Zoo (Zoo-To-Do). I love to get dressed up in my tux, but I could give a damn if someone is not dressed formally. I do it for myself and because my wife loves to dress up as well and take lots of pictures. The past two cruises have been on the Summitt and there were still a lot of gentlemen dressed in tuxedos and nearly everyone else in Blue had on a suit. I wear my seersucker suit or navy jacket when dining at Normandie on nonformal nights. I am in the minority there, but I don't care because like I said, I'm doing it for DW and myself. My take on the whole subject is: Come as you are and Laissez les Bon Temps Rouler.

my wife and i both live in new orleans as well. (i'm a native, dw a 20 year ohio transplant). It doesn't take much of an excuse to get one of us to dress for a party. I even wear my tux to the audubon zoo (zoo-to-do). I love to get dressed up in my tux, but i could give a damn if someone is not dressed formally. I do it for myself and because my wife loves to dress up as well and take lots of pictures. The past two cruises have been on the summitt and there were still a lot of gentlemen dressed in tuxedos and nearly everyone else in blue had on a suit. I wear my seersucker suit or navy jacket when dining at normandie on nonformal nights. I am in the minority there, but i don't care because like i said, i'm doing it for dw and myself. my take on the whole subject is: Come as you are and laissez les bon temps rouler.

'who dat'.;)

Would this qualify as T Rex in Tux?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQp4Twl_D9X00FI1IdEBFOCUl9oPWs-A1laINGlGfudkR_E_W86Vw

Cheers,h

have fun

Love THIS!! Have to admit, I am NOT

a real fan of "cruising", never been, I DO however ADORE the islands, the sun and the people there. I started out on lots of Windjammer ships and trips to various islands, very casual. BUT, my husband now loves everything that big posh cruising offers, and now we've been on a few! I've enjoyed myself but I have to admit I LOVE getting dressed up at night for dinner, EVERY night! Lol! We did it on a 2 week Christmas cruise in 2010, and going again! I've found THAT makes it fun for me, takes the sting out of being on a massive ship with little pools and thousands of people and bingo. Lol

Its sad that soo many take this so seriously that they get mad, sick or judgemental about it. Just go with the flow, make lemonade and have FUN with it!! Its a VACATION!

Bang a gong and get it on!

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

jy9a3egu.jpg

Really greatful I have a hubby that likes playing dress-up with me lol! Didn't bat an eye when I packed 9 pair of dress shoes on our last Celebrity 2 weeker :cool:

You both look gorgeous! My H doesn't mind, either, and it's so much fun to dress to the nines on occasion. I have one dress that, if I say so myself, is quite a headturner and I got a ton of sweet compliments when I wore it on our cruise. You can bet I'll be packing it again, lol! Even old ladies like me enjoy being dressed up and pretty!

My husband says I can pack as many shoes as I like too, provided I carry my own bags!

Now, I only take three pairs...

Thank you! I LOVE to get dressed up, always have, so I've come to a new found "fondness" of the cruising experience in that I have at least 12 opportunities to do it! :sly: I also LOVE meeting new people, so I think this cruise will be sweeter for me than in the past... ;)

(before, it was just a means of transportation to each island to me lol, thats really where my heart was!)

I think the attitude as outline above is a mere reflection of society as it is today. Formal at one stage was tuxes for men and long dresses and gloves tiaras,diamonds etc for women but over time dress codes relax. A pants suit at one stage would never have been acceptable for women but our Prime Minister of a few years back wore a pants suit to a state dinner with the Queen. Some criticised her others praised her. The Queen seemed non plussed about the affair.

Business attire for many men especially is now more informal than it was even 10 years ago. A suit and tie was once the business norm but for many the tie has long disappeared and an open neck shirt has become the norm.

Whilst there are some that are sticklers for days gone past I think one should also face reality today.

With dressing down becoming more the norm a "formal night" should in my view at least ensure that one at least puts on a change of clothing and a jacket / tie for men for dinner especially as a pant suit as allowed for ladies can be worn as either formal or informal.

If one wants to take the opportunity to get dressed up in one's finery then that is great but if I was dressed to the nines and someone was sitting next to me in a pair of slacks, sports jacket and open necked shirt it wouldn't worry me in the slightest. We pay our cruise costs to enjoy ourselves not worry about what Joe on the next table is doing.

I used to be in the Real Estate game and have yet to see a suit and tie or a tuxedo sell a house.

Life is too short to get hung up on such trivialities

When I come on my Celebrity Cruise and I am turned away with my sports jacket and open necked shirt then I will dine in one of the other myriad of restaurants on board. I will wear long pants and shoes though.

Beanb---Thank you for taking the time to express yourself so beautifully. I couldn't agree more with everyting you said! Let's all just do the best we can with what we have and focus more on relaxing, enjoying our time with family and friends....this is what leads to a great cruise on X. Finding fault in others just makes us miserable.

~Wendy

• 6 months later...

Here I am lol!!! I brought 9 pair of dressy shoes, 2 casual sandals and a pail of nice Rocket Dog flip flops on our last 14 day X Caribbean . I had my wardrobe all planned out to dress up every nite (love it!) And I wore every pair, some more than once!

I say it's vacation, to some that means to be FREE of being dressed up because they have to be to some extent every day. To others, being dressed up is a treat as it happens very rare, so vacation is a chance to pig out lol! Either way, enjoy!!!!!

We are attending a wedding in two weeks. It is on the beach and it will be very warm. Shirt, tie, suit? Not a chance.

We will be doing an independent land trip for 8 weeks prior to our next cruise. Dress shirt, tie, jacket, dress shoes? Not a chance. Not for a few hours for 3 or 4 days. They won't fit into our carry on.

Edited by iancal

We are attending a wedding in two weeks. It is on the beach and it will be very warm. Shirt, tie, suit? Not a chance.

We will be doing an independent land trip for 8 weeks prior to our next cruise. Dress shirt, tie, jacket, dress shoes? Not a chance. Not for a few hours for 3 or 4 days. They won't fit into our carry on.

Sounds like the perfect vacation for you!!! just hang loose !!! enjoy! [emoji14]