Celebrity's Dress Code

ladyjane550

It's so impressive that you have been on 30 cruises. We can all see your list. Three of them have even been on Celebrity ships. I don't find the need to broadcast how many cruises I've been on but let's just say it's many more than you have and most of them have been on Celebrity ships. What does that have to do with it. Ridiculous.

Your statement does indeed sound like you are broadcasting...

...and I agree... "What does that have to do with it."

I also agree that "Ridiculous." sums it up quite well.

Edited by teecee60

Don't be silly. I am scum of the lowest order and I feel perfectly at home on Celebrity :D

I remember Dress Code threads on this forum from years ago, but they seemed to have escalated. I also get the feeling from some of those posting that they'd be just the kind to give me the evil eye for not adhering to their idea of Formal Night. I just came off of two weeks aboard Royal Princess and never once wore a tie or jacket, much less a tux. But I also do not eat in the MDR for dinner, ever. I prefer the more casual dress down options.

I remember Dress Code threads on this forum from years ago, but they seemed to have escalated. I also get the feeling from some of those posting that they'd be just the kind to give me the evil eye for not adhering to their idea of Formal Night. I just came off of two weeks aboard Royal Princess and never once wore a tie or jacket, much less a tux. But I also do not eat in the MDR for dinner, ever. I prefer the more casual dress down options.

Nah, don't worry about it. Celebrity is really no different to any other mass-market cruise line. There are some people on these boards who either:

a) Feel their cruise experience threatened by the increased casualness

or

b) Feel threatened by those in category a)

Both sides love to ramp up the drama but once on-board everyone gets along.

This topic is completely ridicules. This will be on our third 14 night cruise ( 2 on Hal, and this one on X. I refuse to be dictated as to what other people wear.....who the hell cares?.. We have done formal nights without the gowns and tux's, and have never felt out of place, or turned away, a nice outfit with some bling does the trick. We've never been turned away or received strange looks, as a matter of fact, one night a sweet elderly lady (dressed to the nines) made a point of coming to our table and complemented me on my jewelry. I guess she hadn't read the rules !! :)

We just go on a cruise to enjoy, and I won't let anyone else rain on my parade, no matter how we are dressed.

I just may be the one at the next table spoiling someone's " ambiance ". ;). And if so, so be it !!

I see your first cruise will be on the Solstice in Feb. 2015.

"I haven't worn a tie in over 15 years and that includes weddings and funerals so if by not wearing a tie means I can't attend a formal night in the MDR then I will have to get used to the buffet menu."

My question to you is, will you try to enter the diningroom underdressed or will you assume you're underdressed on formal nights and go to a specialty restaurant or buffet? On your 35 night cruise, you'll have at least 6 formal nights. Your post about not wearing a tie seems a bit hostile, so I'm curious what your intentions are. Will you be traveling with others, like a wife, life partner or friends that will want to attend a formal dinner in the MDR? Please elaborate.

SDT

Yep will front up at the MDR

And this is exactly the problem . . . it is FORMAL night - not BUSINESS night as decreed by Celebrity. While I admire that you and your husband dress appropriately for business - it has nothing to do with dressing for formal night - where a "sport jacket and simple dress" is not within the requested dress code. So if you chose to not bring formal wear - then perhaps it would be a great night to experience a specialty restaurant, buffet or room service. What we want to happen is for the stated dress code to be enforced - otherwise before long we will be dining with people in their pajama pants. It is a down hill slide.

I am sorry to disagree with you, and your interpretation of Celebrity's suggested guidelines. In this post, from a very recent cruise, http://www.thepreismans.com/ecarib_reflection_dailies.htm#day_1 (check at the bottom of the itinerary)

you will see that Celebrity defines formal for gentlemen as tux, suit or jacket and slacks. So, a sports jacket and slacks complies with the suggested dress code. For ladies, a dress or pantsuit is acceptable.

Edited by itsjb1

I doubt the denim tux was a serious suggestion. That would be a modern twist on those awful leisure suits that were popular in the '70s.

I wouldn't wear a bathing suit and wife beater to the dining room for dinner even on a casual night. I wouldn't even wear that for lunch. That is pretty bad.

The guy was about 6'-7" tall. He had a "NYFD" tatoo on his arm. Trust me, he wasn't a member of the fire dept. He was just some boorish slob out to cause a scene. Well, sorry, but I gave it to him. We never saw him in the MDR for the rest of the trip!

I am totally amazed at the nastiness of some posts about formal wear. Since we travel by plane to the cruise port we are conscious of luggage limitations. So to save room we rent a tux for my husband & I wear a black skirt or black slacks with a dressy top. And I do not have a different top for each formal night! We are adhering to the posted dress code from celebrity as noted by the previous poster. We fully intend to dine in the MDR all nights & we will look as dressed up as probably 98% of other guests.

Sounds as if he did it as a joke. It's a shame he was apparently too embarrassed to change and come back and enjoy the MDR for the rest of the trip.

I found out from his tablemates( a group of embarassed Brits)that he planned this as a stunt to thumb his nose at the dresscode. They were so glad someone took a stand. His close to 7 ft. height gave them pause. I had no problem getting him booted out. Noone ever saw him there again. Actually we never saw him in any of the buffets,either. With his height he was pretty easy to spot in other parts of the ship..always dressed like a slob. You never saw him at night, though. We all figured he just ordered roomservice at night.

Settle down! I was just joking (tounge in cheek, so to speak). I attached a quote from another poster who was joking around about different colored tuxedo options. Way to serious dude.

I'm not over the top. I know it was a joke,but some don't take it as such. You'd be surprised at some of the outfits I've seen tried on on Cunard. We did have this cowboy outfit a few cruises ago. Really out of place, but as a cowboy outfit goes it was "Formal" in style. I actually didn't object because it really looked kind of cool. Also it "worked" on the person wearing it. He generally does RCCL, but decided to do Cunard in 2010. A lot of posters on CC were aghast that he was going to wear it. You certainly knew where he was!

I am sorry to disagree with you, and your interpretation of Celebrity's suggested guidelines. In this post, from a very recent cruise, http://www.thepreismans.com/ecarib_reflection_dailies.htm#day_1 (check at the bottom of the itinerary)

you will see that Celebrity defines formal for gentlemen as tux, suit or jacket and slacks. So, a sports jacket and slacks complies with the suggested dress code. For ladies, a dress or pantsuit is acceptable.

Thank you for bringing this to the attention of everyone on these boards who are so accusatory those who are supposedly breaking the rules. As is quoted on the daily for gentleman "jacket with slacks." My goodness ... What do the rule enforcers have to say now about their previous criticisms that sport coats, pants, shirts and ties are not considered formal wear?

To have a wonderful cruise on a great ship on an amazing itinerary. Judy, I am sure that you will too.

Take care Nicola

Thank you Nicola. Looking forward to cruising in March. From one Canadian to another ... Happy cruising to you!

And the passengers who are not dressing to your specifications are setting trends too :D

LOL! I participate in a rollcal for every cruise we do. I find that generally the people I don't care for online, I hit it off with in person. I'd bet you'd be one of those people! Maybe one day we will cruise together. :D

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Forums mobile app

Thank you for bringing this to the attention of everyone on these boards who are so accusatory those who are supposedly breaking the rules. As is quoted on the daily for gentleman "jacket with slacks." My goodness ... What do the rule enforcers have to say now about their previous criticisms that sport coats, pants, shirts and ties are not considered formal wear?

The dress code on the web and in other written materials states "dinner jacket and slacks," which I think you can agree excludes a sport coat. On the ship, and fairly recently, the dress code in the dailies has on some occasions eliminated the word "dinner." Moreover, it's also pretty clear, that to the extent that it's enforced, the code is enforced as merely jacket required. Be careful, however, how much you read into this. If you do some searching on here, you'll see other threads where the ships have said that the formal dress code applies in the theatre, in the specialty restaurants, or throughout the ship (which it doesn't in the written materials). In other words, don't hold your breath waiting for an apology as those in support of the dress code as written see it as Celebrity being consistently inconsistent.

I would also urge some understanding on all sides here. The nastiness of the dress code supporters likely stems from the fact that something they enjoyed (formal night) is headed for the dustbin of history. The luxury lines have already eliminated it. Celebrity has continuously weakened it over the last 5 years. The number of men wearing actual formal wear (as opposed to a suit, which is semi-formal) has decreased drastically and ladies are, for the most part wearing cocktail attire at best. Don't we all know where this is going?

I would like to see Celebrity enforce Formal night strictly. No tux, no suit, no entrance. "Ma'am, where's your gown?" How long do we think that would last before Celebrity changed its code to permit blazers and sport coats?

To be clear, I comply with the code as written. I wear a suit. I would rather bring and wear a blazer or sport coat as it's way more functional. Thus, I advocate that the code be changed by Celebrity to reflect the way that they enforce the code on the ships.

Edited by BKFlowerMound

The nastiness of the dress code supporters likely stems from the fact that something they enjoyed (formal night) is headed for the dustbin of history. The luxury lines have already eliminated it. Celebrity has continuously weakened it over the last 5 years.

Still wondering when we're going to hear, either the phone ring, or, from a lawyer. ;) :D :rolleyes:

Taking the high road.......

I discovered light weight blazers from Cabelas and LLBean to be great for proper attire on smart casual nights. Also I regularly do not wear a tie (sun burn ya know) on business casual nights.

On formal nights we partake in the elegance the night deserves. Tux or my dark suit and tie. Wife loves to do her thing as well. It is a beautiful feeling to have this tradition and for folks to care enough to dress nicely. Of course there is always some undesirable person walking around during photos or pre-dinner cocktails in shorts and flip flops. Not bad on Celebrity but RCCL and Carnival - well, the formal wear seems like a bad off-Broadway burlesque.

Being at Elite level and above you do get breaks with laundry.

I just hope some things will not end up on the "trash heap of history". It takes all of us to honor tradition. Party ships have their place for those that want that sort of thing. Cruising began for the very rich and than became affordable for all. For us, it may be a bit of a struggle to get into a tux or fuss with hair and such, but it is kind of fun once you see others having fun too. Making believe, for a few nights, we are the Vanderbuilts is great!

Taking the high road.......

I discovered light weight blazers from Cabelas and LLBean to be great for proper attire on smart casual nights. Also I regularly do not wear a tie (sun burn ya know) on business casual nights.

On formal nights we partake in the elegance the night deserves. Tux or my dark suit and tie. Wife loves to do her thing as well. It is a beautiful feeling to have this tradition and for folks to care enough to dress nicely. Of course there is always some undesirable person walking around during photos or pre-dinner cocktails in shorts and flip flops. Not bad on Celebrity but RCCL and Carnival - well, the formal wear seems like a bad off-Broadway burlesque.

Being at Elite level and above you do get breaks with laundry.

I just hope some things will not end up on the "trash heap of history". It takes all of us to honor tradition. Party ships have their place for those that want that sort of thing. Cruising began for the very rich and than became affordable for all. For us, it may be a bit of a struggle to get into a tux or fuss with hair and such, but it is kind of fun once you see others having fun too. Making believe, for a few nights, we are the Vanderbuilts is great!

Making it special is why I enjoy the formal nights.:D

Don't care one way or the other. We usually dress casual and dine somewhere else on formal evenings. We usually build land trips around a cruise and we have no intention of packing clothes that are only used for a few hours.

What we have noticed when we have attended formal evenings is that fewer and fewer people are wearing long dresses, tux, or dark suits. More and more business casual dress included a jacket of some sort for men.

I think the trend is away from formal wear on mass market lines like Celebrity, HAL, etc. Perhaps because of the changing demographics.

On our 2 Europe cruises this summer there were tons of Tux's followed by dark suits. Sports coats and blazers were in the definite minority and were noticeable. We had a week in Rome, a week in Paris and two 14 night cruises and DH packed a Tux and looked wonderful:)

Edited by Christine Frances

On our 2 Europe cruises this summer there were tons of Tux's followed by dark suits. Sports coats and blazers were in the definite minority and were noticeable. We had a week in Rome, a week in Paris and two 14 night cruises and DH packed a Tux and looked wonderful:)

On my 12 night European cruise this summer dark suits were the majority. A minority wore tux or sports jackets. Everyone, no matter which of the above they wore looked fine.

Don't care one way or the other. We usually dress casual and dine somewhere else on formal evenings. We usually build land trips around a cruise and we have no intention of packing clothes that are only used for a few hours.

What we have noticed when we have attended formal evenings is that fewer and fewer people are wearing long dresses, tux, or dark suits. More and more business casual dress included a jacket of some sort for men.

I think the trend is away from formal wear on mass market lines like Celebrity, HAL, etc. Perhaps because of the changing demographics.

The trend in our culture has been toward more casual dress. That is going to be reflected on cruise ships.

The Vanderbilts of today ( tech billionaires) wear t -shirts or untucked shirts.

Edited by Charles4515

The trend in our culture has been toward more casual dress. That is going to be reflected on cruise ships.

The Vanderbilts of today ( tech billionaires) wear tee shirts or untucked shirts.

Yep, trending to dress down. Unshaved, messy hair and baggy pants around their knees.:D

David please don't let these silly threads turn you off to X. The S class ships are wonderful. I haven't taken a suit on a cruise in at least fifteen years. On a seven night cruise we dine in specialty dining usually five nights including both formal nights and depending on itinerary we will dine the other two evenings ashore, Oceanview cafe or on the balcony. I take a sports coat for formal nights as that only the MDR is formal dress on formal nights. Specialty dining is considered smart casual. A jacket is not required. Same can be said for other areas such as the Ocean-view cafe or Bistro on Five.

I read that you're considering the Silhouette. I suggest giving it a try. I adhere to the dress code suggestions by not dining in the MDR on formal nights and let those that enjoy the formal atmosphere have at it but you can still cruise in a casual atmosphere on X. :)

Edited by cruisingator2