Celebrity's Dress Code

ladyjane550

Depends on what you mean by "require."

It's in their dress code. So I suppose you mean it depends on whether you are willing to comply with the code, or just do what you want and hope it passes. Most people dress appropriately. I have seen maitre d's refuse entry to people who aren't following the dress code.

I can't understand why this question keeps popping up as a new thread. There are hundreds of responses to this question on these boards. A simple search will bring all these threads up for anyone who has a question about dress code.

I have stated a number of times before that the dress code as written on Celebrity's website and the reality of what takes place on a cruise are two different things. Over the last three years and multiple Celebrity cruises I have observed less and less enforcement of a dress code in the MDR on formal nights. More and more men are in the MDR without a jacket.

Yes, a tux, suit, or dinner jacket (not sport coat) with slacks. All if the aforesaid with appropriate tie. But this does not apply to Blu, specialty restaurants and the buffet.

Jack's response is technically correct however in reality you will not be denied entry with a sport coat.

Edited by dkjretired

I have not cruised for a couple of years. Do they still require a suit for formal night, or will a shirt and tie be okay?

Here's a link to Celebrity's website, which should answer your questions. Happy New Year !

http://www.celebritycruises.com/planAndBook/beforeYouGo/tabLanding.do?pagename=before_you_go_gateway&tab=before_you_go_getting_ready%2FplanAndBook%2FbeforeYouGo%2Fchickletpanel.do%3Fpagename%3Dbefore_you_go_getting_ready

I can't understand why this question keeps popping up as a new thread. There are hundreds of responses to this question on these boards. A simple search will bring all these threads up for anyone who has a question about dress code.

I have stated a number of times before that the dress code as written on Celebrity's website and the reality of what takes place on a cruise are two different things. Over the last three years and multiple Celebrity cruises I have observed less and less enforcement of a dress code in the MDR on formal nights. More and more men are in the MDR without a jacket.

I think the attitude as outline above is a mere reflection of society as it is today. Formal at one stage was tuxes for men and long dresses and gloves tiaras,diamonds etc for women but over time dress codes relax. A pants suit at one stage would never have been acceptable for women but our Prime Minister of a few years back wore a pants suit to a state dinner with the Queen. Some criticised her others praised her. The Queen seemed non plussed about the affair.

Business attire for many men especially is now more informal than it was even 10 years ago. A suit and tie was once the business norm but for many the tie has long disappeared and an open neck shirt has become the norm.

Whilst there are some that are sticklers for days gone past I think one should also face reality today.

With dressing down becoming more the norm a "formal night" should in my view at least ensure that one at least puts on a change of clothing and a jacket / tie for men for dinner especially as a pant suit as allowed for ladies can be worn as either formal or informal.

If one wants to take the opportunity to get dressed up in one's finery then that is great but if I was dressed to the nines and someone was sitting next to me in a pair of slacks, sports jacket and open necked shirt it wouldn't worry me in the slightest. We pay our cruise costs to enjoy ourselves not worry about what Joe on the next table is doing.

I used to be in the Real Estate game and have yet to see a suit and tie or a tuxedo sell a house.

Life is too short to get hung up on such trivialities

When I come on my Celebrity Cruise and I am turned away with my sports jacket and open necked shirt then I will dine in one of the other myriad of restaurants on board. I will wear long pants and shoes though.

I think the attitude as outline above is a mere reflection of society as it is today. Formal at one stage was tuxes for men and long dresses and gloves tiaras,diamonds etc for women but over time dress codes relax. A pants suit at one stage would never have been acceptable for women but our Prime Minister of a few years back wore a pants suit to a state dinner with the Queen. Some criticised her others praised her. The Queen seemed non plussed about the affair.

Business attire for many men especially is now more informal than it was even 10 years ago. A suit and tie was once the business norm but for many the tie has long disappeared and an open neck shirt has become the norm.

Whilst there are some that are sticklers for days gone past I think one should also face reality today.

With dressing down becoming more the norm a "formal night" should in my view at least ensure that one at least puts on a change of clothing and a jacket / tie for men for dinner especially as a pant suit as allowed for ladies can be worn as either formal or informal.

If one wants to take the opportunity to get dressed up in one's finery then that is great but if I was dressed to the nines and someone was sitting next to me in a pair of slacks, sports jacket and open necked shirt it wouldn't worry me in the slightest. We pay our cruise costs to enjoy ourselves not worry about what Joe on the next table is doing.

I used to be in the Real Estate game and have yet to see a suit and tie or a tuxedo sell a house.

Life is too short to get hung up on such trivialities

When I come on my Celebrity Cruise and I am turned away with my sports jacket and open necked shirt then I will dine in one of the other myriad of restaurants on board. I will wear long pants and shoes though.

Thank's, sums it up for me.

LadyJane,

Please read this thread for everything to ever wanted to know about the dress code....and every snippy comment you'd want to read as well

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1953874

Well ALMOST...

...it seems that the "snippiest" (is that a word?) comments, all get deleted. ;) :p :rolleyes:

Could someone kindly explain what a sports jacket is to a confused Brit?

This is what we call a sports jacket in my neck of the woods, I can't imagine this is what's being suggested as an alternative to a suit jacket.

http://makebelievecostumehire.co.uk/the-1980s/80s-shellsuit-harry-enfield-scouser/

I do joke, but is a SJ what we might call a blazer? E.g:

http://www.stylebistro.com/lookbook/Prince+William/hp_5jJEUsb-

Dear OP:

New Hampshire is correct. Lots of threads on this topic. Just search for "Locked Threads" and you will find 99% of them.;)

I'm sure glad Santa brought me a mega jar of popcorn.:D

Let's see.....MY definitions follow:

- A tux is (usually) worn with a bow tie and has satin lapels and down the pants. Can have tails.

- A dinner jacket is the tux jacket, but does not have tails. Can be of a different color than the pants.

(Tux and Dinner Jacket are really the same thing, but originated in different areas, thus the different names)

- A suit has pants and a jacket that are made out of the same fabric, usually worn with a coordinating tie

- A blazer/sports coat is just a coat - does not match the pants. May or may not be worn with a tie

Wonder what the fashion police would say if you showed up in a purple tux....would THAT be 'allowed'??? :p

Just off the Eclipse Christmas two week cruise. On formal night from my

vantage a point, dress was all over the place from tux, black suit, some ill fitting, sports coat, shirt and tie to yes god forbid jeans and a T shirt LOL. For women, a few gowns that looked out of place to modern designer clothes to just a basic dress with a some decorations, lets not forget about outfits, just because they make it in your size maybe you should not wear it, lets not forget designer jeans LOL.

I took sport coat and shirt and ties, do not own suit, and never will, and designer t shirts. I wore the shirt and tie once put them away and went to the designer T shirts and sport coat was MORE than comfortable and fit in just as well as the formal dressers( they may not think so LOL) some people just love to dress to the nines or what they think are the nines. A comment, it was amazing to us to see a several gentleman dress to the nines in formal wear and the lady beside him just in mundane plain clothes.

On formal night dress nice, nicer than usual, or as elegant as you want, you will be happy.

Originally Posted by Ma Bell

By the way, this doesn't seem to say the dress codes are "suggested". December 7th, this year on Reflection from the daily.

http://www.thepreismans.com/ecarib_reflection_dailies.htm#day_11

Let's see.....MY definitions follow:

- A tux is (usually) worn with a bow tie and has satin lapels and down the pants. Can have tails.

- A dinner jacket is the tux jacket, but does not have tails. Can be of a different color than the pants.

(Tux and Dinner Jacket are really the same thing, but originated in different areas, thus the different names)

- A suit has pants and a jacket that are made out of the same fabric, usually worn with a coordinating tie

- A blazer/sports coat is just a coat - does not match the pants. May or may not be worn with a tie

Wonder what the fashion police would say if you showed up in a purple tux....would THAT be 'allowed'??? :p

The links provided by Host Wall and Ma Bell (from another thread) illustrate part of the problem faced by passengers. While the Celebrity website states that men's formal wear includes a "dinner jacket", the Reflection's Celebrity Today uses the term "jacket" without qualification. As CaroleSS points out, a tux and a dinner jacket are for all intents and purposes the same garment, whereas a "jacket" is a broader term that might include blazers, sports coats, etc.

So, does one follow the ship's published formal dress code or that of corporate HQ? As the ship's crew is responsible for enforcing the code, it seems logical that passengers follow the ship's code. It's probably also worth considering that every passenger receives a copy of Celebrity Today onboard, while most probably haven't looked at that part of the website.

There are so many posts that refer to "the code", so it's probably useful for us to realize that there are at least two versions.

Blazer and dress pants, shirt & tie works for me. Luggage space at a premium these days, no room for things like suits etc given they are worn so infrequently (a couple or three evenings) whilst on board..;)

A suit consists of a jacket and dress pants, so how it takes up more space in your luggage than a blazer and dress pants is a mystery to me.

.....for all intents and purposes.....

Fouremco, you get a HUGE gold star!!

It gripes me when people say "for all intensive purposes" and YOU have said it correctly!! You are da-bomb!

Now if we could only have people learn the difference between there, their and they're......

Fouremco, you get a HUGE gold star!!

It gripes me when people say "for all intensive purposes" and YOU have said it correctly!! You are da-bomb!

Now if we could only have people learn the difference between there, their and they're......

Aw, shucks, Ma’am, ‘tweren’t nothin’. :o