Celebrity's Dress Code

ladyjane550

I totally agree with you, Jane....I am amazed by the number of cruisers who ignore basic guidelines, I just got off the Silhouette where I saw grown men wearing BALL CAPS in the dining room at dinner!! Dress code should be respected as closely as possible so as not to ruin it for others.

How is it all possible that someone wearing a "BALL CAP" could possibly "ruin it for others"? Ruin what???

Personally I choose not to have anything in my life ruined by another person's choice of headgear.

Edited by gek

How is it all possible that someone wearing a "BALL CAP" could possibly "ruin it for others"? Ruin what???

Personally I choose not to have anything in my life ruined by another person's choice of headgear.

"BALL CAPS" only annoy me when they wear it backwards or cocked to the side. It just ruins my dinner. :eek:

My husband and I are doing our first Celebrity cruise in March after doing 5 cruises on other lines. I don't want this post to sound rude or I don 't want to offend anybody. However, for the past few months, these discussions around dress code seem out of control. I understand that Celebrity has guidelines for dress but there are so many judgements going on here that it is unbelievable. My husband and I are both professionals and we dress appropriately to do presentations, attend meetings etc. For my husband, that means a navy sport coat, grey pants, and tie. For myself, it is usually a simple dress with nice shoes. We will wear these clothes on our cruise. As in the workplace, there will be people who dress better than us but there will also be those who don't have as much confidence or fashion sense and will dress differently. It will not impact on my cruise. I am very discouraged by the negative and judgemental comments on these discussions. Although, I understand that there are rules, so much time can be spent by staff trying to enforce this rule, that other service can be impacted. Is this really what you want to happen..?

What you describe fits perfectly for smart casual or above nights in the main dining room.

I've been sailing on Celebrity ships since 1994 and until recently they seldom had to "enforce" the dress code because people had the consideration to abide by the dress code. It's a pity that people find it necessary to justify poor manners and accuse others of being judgmental. The passengers don't make the rules, the cruise line does. Celebrity provides alternatives for those whose sensibilities cannot abide dressing up for a couple of nights. It's not judgmental to expect gentlemen and ladies to make a choice that fits their desires for comfort, whatever they may be.

How is it possible that people can't just behave like grownups and do what's expected?

Edited by Ma Bell

And this is exactly the problem . . . it is FORMAL night - not BUSINESS night as decreed by Celebrity. While I admire that you and your husband dress appropriately for business - it has nothing to do with dressing for formal night - where a "sport jacket and simple dress" is not within the requested dress code. So if you chose to not bring formal wear - then perhaps it would be a great night to experience a specialty restaurant, buffet or room service. What we want to happen is for the stated dress code to be enforced - otherwise before long we will be dining with people in their pajama pants. It is a down hill slide.

This is precisely the problem. The judgements made here are disturbing. . I can dress in a black dress with nice jewellery and be considered appropriate to present to a judge and my husband is considered to be dressed appropriately to present to high government officials but we are judged to be inappropriate to attend formal night in the dining room?

Judy, you and your husband will be absolutely fine in the dining room and you will find lots and lots of people dressed in exactly the same way. Jane is just scare mongering and so is Ma Bell. There is ABSOLUTELY no reason to eat elsewhere on formal night. Truly, after 30 cruises, I have seen it all. There are a few purists who are hanging on by the skin of their teeth...they are becoming the minority.

Enjoy your cruise and don't give your dress code another thought.

Have a great cruise.

Nicola

Edited by Theodorable

My husband and I are doing our first Celebrity cruise in March after doing 5 cruises on other lines. I don't want this post to sound rude or I don 't want to offend anybody. However, for the past few months, these discussions around dress code seem out of control. I understand that Celebrity has guidelines for dress but there are so many judgements going on here that it is unbelievable. My husband and I are both professionals and we dress appropriately to do presentations, attend meetings etc. For my husband, that means a navy sport coat, grey pants, and tie. For myself, it is usually a simple dress with nice shoes. We will wear these clothes on our cruise. As in the workplace, there will be people who dress better than us but there will also be those who don't have as much confidence or fashion sense and will dress differently. It will not impact on my cruise. I am very discouraged by the negative and judgemental comments on these discussions. Although, I understand that there are rules, so much time can be spent by staff trying to enforce this rule, that other service can be impacted. Is this really what you want to happen..?

Don't worry about these dress code threads. Every one of them follows the same path to destruction and is eventually closed. Just read the dress code guidelines, decide what u want to wear (many people Consider the the baggage fees and weights in decision process) pack accordingly and have great cruise.

When u get on board it really isn't a big deal.

What you describe fits perfectly for smart casual or above nights in the main dining room.

I've been sailing on Celebrity ships since 1994 and until recently they seldom had to "enforce" the dress code because people had the consideration to abide by the dress code. It's a pity that people find it necessary to justify poor manners and accuse others of being judgmental. The passengers don't make the rules, the cruise line does. Celebrity provides alternatives for those whose sensibilities cannot abide dressing up for a couple of nights. It's not judgmental to expect gentlemen and ladies to make a choice that fits their desires for comfort, whatever they may be.

How is it possible that people can't just behave like grownups and do what's expected?

Formal night has always been voluntary. It was introduced originally because that's what most passengers wanted. If a majority of passengers no longer wish to follow the guidelines, there's no real way to enforce it. People who are paying a lot of money for a vacation don't want to be told what's expected when it's at variance with what they actually wish to do on their vacation.

Arguing it about it here is ridiculous. When most people apparently don't wish to do something, it's a losing battle to try to force them.

This is precisely the problem. The judgements made here are disturbing. . I can dress in a black dress with nice jewellery and be considered appropriate to present to a judge and my husband is considered to be dressed appropriately to present to high government officials but we are judged to be inappropriate to attend formal night in the dining room?

Again - you are talking about work - we are discussing FORMAL. You will not have a problem getting into the dining room in the clothing that you describe - you will not however be within the formal night guidelines.

Judy, you and your husband will be absolutely fine in the dining room and you will find lots and lots of people dressed in exactly the same way. Jane is just scare mongering. There is ABSOLUTELY no reason to eat elsewhere on formal night.

Have a great cruise.

Nicola

Thank you so much for your reply Nicola and I have no doubt that we will be dressed appropriately for the dining room. It is unfortunate that others reading these boards may be discouraged by this. As we have seen on other cruises, there may be people who follow the "rules" for dressing on formal night but sometimes they forget the " rules" for good attitude, actions and respect of others.

Judy, you and your husband will be absolutely fine in the dining room and you will find lots and lots of people dressed in exactly the same way. Jane is just scare mongering and so is Ma Bell. There is ABSOLUTELY no reason to eat elsewhere on formal night. Truly, after 30 cruises, I have seen it all. There are a few purists who are hanging on by the skin of their teeth...they are becoming the minority.

Have a great cruise.

Nicola

"Scare mongering"? How am I scare mongering? Laughable. I've said that a man wearing a sports coat will still be admitted to the dining room - although he is not following Celebrities request for FORMAL dress. I didn't make the rules - I'm not the one posting the dress code - that would be Celebrity. Why book a cruise on a line that is ASKING you to dress formal or eat some place beside the main dining room if you have no desire to comply? When Celebrity changes the dress code - then I will gladly follow their request but they haven't changed it yet. And yes - it will come because of the dumbing down of society and the "it is all about me mentality".

It truely amazes me why this issue gets so many people in a lather. The rules (or guidleines or code) are there in black and white.

People can choose to follow them or not. Why do the people who do not want to follow the rule, then try and justify it?

To me, it doesn't matter if the rule is enforced or not ( I wish that they did) it is about a personal choice of how you want to live your life. :D

Edited by MicCanberra

They've paid their money and they can do as they please as long as they don't hurt anybody. And that's exactly the mentality. Unfortunately the cruise lines are slowly, but surely changing, and that's just not fast enough or good enough for some. It's funny how many different definitions there are for formal wear on Celebrity, when actually there's only one. And that's what Celebrity defines as formal wear. I've never noticed "Business Formal" as a type of evening dress either. :confused:

A ball cap should NEVER be worn at the dinner table, let alone in a fine dining establishment, I don't care what your beliefs, religion or rules are that is just completely brutal and in bad taste. Unless you want to eat at an outdoor BBQ or picnic it has no place at a dinner table. I don't understand how anyone can think otherwise.

Jane, you will be absolutely fine with what you describe. No need to dress like you are going to the Oscars for example, a black dress and jewellery and a sport coat, shirt and tie is how most dress on formal nights.

Nothing like a little black dress and some fun jewellery and shoes to dress it up!

Enjoy your cruise!!

Well, that is not how I live my life. My friends have many different interests and principles. Different political beliefs, religious beliefs and social issues beliefs. I don't have a litmus test for friends on the above. My only test is that they are not criminals, evil or obnoxious.... Adherence to dress rules and regulations is not something I consider significant. It does not threaten anyones safety or health.

Chuck, I judge people by the they way they adhere to rules in society and the way they treat animals. When I know exactly what the dress code is on a cruise ship and I see someone underdressed, I don't judge them based on what they are or are not wearing, my judgement of them is based solely on the fact that they are not dressed properly.

A ball cap should NEVER be worn at the dinner table, let alone in a fine dining establishment, I don't care what your beliefs, religion or rules are that is just completely brutal and in bad taste. Unless you want to eat at an outdoor BBQ or picnic it has no place at a dinner table. I don't understand how anyone can think otherwise.

Jane, you will be absolutely fine with what you describe. No need to dress like you are going to the Oscars for example, a black dress and jewellery and a sport coat, shirt and tie is how most dress on formal nights.

Nothing like a little black dress and some fun jewellery and shoes to dress it up!

Enjoy your cruise!!

Thank you Shoppergirl. I find these threads rather amusing. I now throw out this question. What do the fashion police think should be done when a woman shows up at formal night in a formal dress that could be considered inappropriate ( ie exposing breasts ).

No need to dress like you are going to the Oscars for example, a black dress and jewellery and a sport coat, shirt and tie is how most dress on formal nights.

You're making a few people's point here! The Oscars? That's formal dress. Celebrity has formal dress nights. What's the difference? How many times have you seen sport coats at the Oscars, aka a formal affair? Will anyone that dresses in a sport coat and/or little dress with "fun jewellery" be ok? Yes. But are they dressed properly for a formal night? No.

Chuck, I judge people by the they way they adhere to rules in society and the way they treat animals. When I know exactly what the dress code is on a cruise ship and I see someone underdressed, I don't judge them based on what they are or are not wearing, my judgement of them is based solely on the fact that they are not dressed properly.

From time to time rules in society should not be adhered to..... but that has nothing to do with cruise line dress on formal night.

As far as whether they are dressed properly that is your opinion.Like your wearing long ties with your tux. My opinion is that you are not dressed properly in a tux unless you have a bow tie. That is traditional. I know exactly that you are not dressed properly that way. But it won't ruin my dinner seeing you dressed that way. My only judgement might be that you are slavishly copying what you saw some celebrity wearing.

From time to time rules in society should not be adhered to..... but that has nothing to do with cruise line dress on formal night.

As far as whether they are dressed properly that is your opinion.Like your wearing long ties with your tux. My opinion is that you are not dressed properly in a tux unless you have a bow tie. That is traditional. I know exactly that you are not dressed properly that way. But it won't ruin my dinner seeing you dressed that way. My only judgement might be that you are slavishly copying what you saw some celebrity wearing.

I already told you once I am a celebrity. I set trends, I don't copy them. :D

Have a great cruise.

Nicola

Scare mongering? You really have a way with words. I never said you or anyone else wouldn't be able to eat in the dining room. Of course you won't stand out like a sore thumb, but you won't be dressed formally according to Celebrity's definition. It's so impressive that you have been on 30 cruises. We can all see your list. Three of them have even been on Celebrity ships. I don't find the need to broadcast how many cruises I've been on but let's just say it's many more than you have and most of them have been on Celebrity ships. What does that have to do with it. You come making threats of confrontation as if any passenger would ever say anything to you or your husband. Ridiculous.

No one is hanging on to anything by the skin of their teeth. If they change the dress code it won't bother me one bit but I and many others do enjoy the formal evenings. The point is it is in place now and may be around for a while. According to recent polls right here on the Celebrity forum there are still a great majority who enjoy the formal nights. Celebrity has gone out of their way to provide many options for people who don't care to join in. Apparently that's not enough for some who's sense of "I'll do as I please" is so overwhelming they can't stand it.

There are certainly some people who will be admitted to the dining room wearing whatever they like. They'll be able to "get away with it". As I've said before, you can't legislate good manners.

It's threads like this, and the formal night dress code scaremongering, that keep me away from Celebrity Cruises. As much as I would love to come back, and for once try a Solstice-class ship, I would feel out of place, and out of my social class.

It's threads like this, and the formal night dress code scaremongering, that keep me away from Celebrity Cruises. As much as I would love to come back, and for once try a Solstice-class ship, I would feel out of place, and out of my social class.

Don't be silly. I am scum of the lowest order and I feel perfectly at home on Celebrity :D

We like Celebrity. We often combine cruisea with land trips. We will not bring along formal wear for two or three nights. We are light packers and have no intention of dragging along our entire closet.

We usually stick to casual and eat in alternate venues. When we do attend formal evenings, it is strictly a dark jacket and tie. Though on the last three cruises we saw many diners doing te same but without a tie. No issue whatsoever. Don't sweat the small stuff. Just go and have a great time on the cruise.