Is It Worth Purchasing Specialty Restaurant Package?

Fouremco

We have an upcoming first Celebrity cruise on the Eclipse. We are interested in dining in each of the specialty dining rooms and I'm considering the 3 restaurant package. There are some dated threads with posts suggesting that it might be cheaper to book each one separately once aboard rather than to purchase the package in advance as there are frequently reduced price offerings. Can anyone comment if that is still the case, and if so, whether you can purchase for your choice of nights or only specific nights of their choosing?

If I do buy the package in advance, can I make my reservations at the time of purchase?

Any other comments on the package, pro or con, would be appreciated.

This is a tough question, because the situation will vary on every cruise depending on supply/demand. When demand is not that great, one can sometimes "negotiate" a discount. On our recent 14 day Eclipse cruise we were in Aqua Class. Our food in Blu was so good that we only ate in an alternative restaurant on one night. That was Murano on the first night...when Aqua Class can often get 2 for 1 (which is what we got). Once night we happened to stop at Qsine to look at the menu and the hostess came over to chat and asked if we wanted a reservation. DW told her "only if we can have 50% off." The hostess smiled and said we should ask later in the cruise and maybe yes or maybe no....but she did offer us 30% off right away (we declined).

We did not try to get a discount in the Tuscan Grill on our latest cruise, but on previous cruises it was pretty easy to get 30% - 50% off. Our technique is to simply approach the Maitre d when they are not busy (and nobody else is nearby) and simply ask if he/she is offering any 2 for 1s. The worst that happens is they say no....but many times they will make a counter offer.

Hank

One thing to consider is the Ultimate Dining Pack that is $29/day pp. It allows you to have all of your meals in the alternative restuarants.

We are not big eaters as we don't live to eat, we eat to live and have found that dining in those restuarants while very nice make us over eat.

For most of our cruises on X we have booked AQ that allows us to dine in Blu which is a compromise between the MDR and a specialty restuarant. On the first night for AQ passengers you can also dine in a special restuarant for 1/2 the cost.

They also offer man other discounts throughout the cruise as sometimes it seems as if they are begging for customers.

Another thing to consider is if it is your first time on X just enjoy the MDR as the food and dining is nice and save those other dining alternatives for another cruise.

Stay away from any package that requires more than one night in Qsine. you could have fired a cannon into that place on our December cruise and not hit anybody. Try it once for the experience and you'll probably have had enough. Personally, we like Murano the best, though our meal in the Tuscan Grill was very good up until the main course. But, this was on the Eclipse; other ships may offer a different experience. Besides, tastes differ, so try each for yourself and the three meal package is probably the safest bet.

We have an upcoming first Celebrity cruise on the Eclipse. We are interested in dining in each of the specialty dining rooms and I'm considering the 3 restaurant package. There are some dated threads with posts suggesting that it might be cheaper to book each one separately once aboard rather than to purchase the package in advance as there are frequently reduced price offerings. Can anyone comment if that is still the case, and if so, whether you can purchase for your choice of nights or only specific nights of their choosing?

If I do buy the package in advance, can I make my reservations at the time of purchase?

Any other comments on the package, pro or con, would be appreciated.

I tried to do a 3 rest. deal. Unfortunately the time for the first one came up at 8:30. I then booked Murano & Quisine at 7PM seperately.

I see no reason to accept the tiny savings by prebooking the packages offered on the website since you don't get to choose the restaurants. Besides, on our recent cruise, offers were made frequently and the MDR maitre 'd ended up getting us $30/pp for Qsine instead of $45! I know this can vary by the sailing and how full the specialty dining is, but I'd take the gamble and wait.

I would not do it again, lots of reasons, but if you are a foodie, it might be for you. Qsine was our favorite, LOL i guess we are food travelers, and enjoy cuisine from around the world Qsine gave us a fun, food experience from many countries. Our service in there was great.

I wouldn't book the package on the eclipse because we really don't like silk harvest....it's "sort of asian" rather than anything approaching good or authentic asian food. Tuscan Grill and Murano are both great though and each worth a meal on any cruise. I would not book in advance. I have not been on a recent cruise (we did 4 last year) where they haven't offered us discounts during the cruise....generally on the order of $30 for a $45 restaurant.

I've seen several references to Aqua class cabins getting Qsine for 50% off the first night. Is that something you have to book when you get on the ship or can you book that ahead of time and get the 50% rate? I've tried to book it ahead of time since we're in an Aqua class cabin and it still shows full rate. Thanks for any help!

I've seen several references to Aqua class cabins getting Qsine for 50% off the first night. Is that something you have to book when you get on the ship or can you book that ahead of time and get the 50% rate? I've tried to book it ahead of time since we're in an Aqua class cabin and it still shows full rate. Thanks for any help!

We have booked the 3 night package for our upcoming Infinity cruise. After reading some of the comments maybe we should have waited but I will try and remember to post back here on how it went.

Finally decided to book Tuscan Grill and Murano, as we wanted specific dates and didn't want to risk not getting them for the sake of the few dollars saved if we waited. May try Qsine if there's a good price onboard, but it's not high on our list of priorities.

Thanks for the input!

You can't book the discount in advance. Wait until you get on board and see if they are making an offer. If they aren't being proactive, ask them if they would give you a discount if you ate in Qsine the first night. My bet is that they'll be glad to do so.