Welcome to NE Germany - happy to help you enjoy

Hi Travelanni,

I looked at your website and need some clarification to be sure that I purchase the correct tickets. I am embarking/disembarking in Warnemunde and staying in Berlin. I am a solo traveler and in an earlier posting you mentioned buying a standard ticket.

Would I purchase 1 Quer-Durchs-Land ticket (each way) at EUR 44 each way? Does this ticket include the connection between Rostock and Warnemunde or would I need to purchase another ticket for that segment? Just asking because the connection would take place during the time period (9am-3 am) allowed for the ticket.

Also, once I check-in at the ship, I plan to tour Rostock and then return to Warnemunde to tour. Will the Q-D-L ticket still be good since it is in the time alloted? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to double check that I am understanding what I need to do.

All your help is greatly appreciated!

We are getting on a Princess ship in Warnemunde in July. Prior to the cruise we will be in Berlin. I'm thinking of renting a car in Berlin, going to Wittenburg and then up to Stade (Hamburg) to visit relatives and then to the cruise docks. Have you found that renting in one city and dropping off in another is acceptable and not more expensive? I also figured that we could rent a car for around $44 a day which would be cheaper to do for three people on the way back from Warnemunde to Berlin than train or Princess transfers? What are your thoughts ?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Travelanni,

I looked at your website and need some clarification to be sure that I purchase the correct tickets. I am embarking/disembarking in Warnemunde and staying in Berlin. I am a solo traveler and in an earlier posting you mentioned buying a standard ticket.

Would I purchase 1 Quer-Durchs-Land ticket (each way) at EUR 44 each way? Does this ticket include the connection between Rostock and Warnemunde or would I need to purchase another ticket for that segment? Just asking because the connection would take place during the time period (9am-3 am) allowed for the ticket.

Also, once I check-in at the ship, I plan to tour Rostock and then return to Warnemunde to tour. Will the Q-D-L ticket still be good since it is in the time alloted? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to double check that I am understanding what I need to do.

All your help is greatly appreciated!

Hi, thank you for your appreciation.

As I said in the earlier post, a standard return ticket is the best value for a SOLO traveller. The Quer-Durchs-land ticket is only best value for two or more people. (ie.1 standard return ticket=85.90 euro or 2 (1 each way) Quer-Durchs-land tickets=88.00 euro.) The standard ticket is also valid at any time of day provided the return journey is within 3 months. This is in spite of dates, times etc. you put into the computer if you buy on-line. The program will simply not allow you to proceed without this information. In the case of a standard ticket there is no real advantage to buying on-line, you can just as easily buy from a machine or the ticket office. The number of standard tickets is unlimited, these trains are never full and you cannot reserve a seat in any case.

Just be sure, however you book, that you choose the direct train between Berlin and Rostock.

Either type of ticket includes the Rostock Hbf - Warnemünde Hbf section of the journey - Quer-Durchs-land ticket as often as you like in the one day, the standard ticket only once in each direction. However, if you want to visit Rostock city centre from Warnemünde there is no cost difference as with a Quer-Durchs-land ticket you would still need to buy a 1.90 euro tram ticket from Rostock Hbf to Rostock city centre whereas a local transport ticket between Warnemünde and Rostock city centre, valid on both train and tram, costs exactly the same. Please note that the distinction here is between Rostock Hbf and Rostock city centre. :confused:

In brief for a SOLO traveller - a standard rail ticket + a local transport ticket will save 2.10 euros and give more flexibility.:D

Happy cruising :)

Anni.

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

BTW

The 1.90 euro ticket between Warnemünde and Rostock city centre is valid on both the train and the tram, the one ticket covers the entire trip. There is no such thing as a return ticket, you should buy 2 singles. Do not let anyone tell you that a Day ticket is the same as a return ticket. It is only good value if you intend to make more than 3 trips on local transport.

Edited by Travelanni

We are getting on a Princess ship in Warnemunde in July. Prior to the cruise we will be in Berlin. I'm thinking of renting a car in Berlin, going to Wittenburg and then up to Stade (Hamburg) to visit relatives and then to the cruise docks. Have you found that renting in one city and dropping off in another is acceptable and not more expensive? I also figured that we could rent a car for around $44 a day which would be cheaper to do for three people on the way back from Warnemunde to Berlin than train or Princess transfers? What are your thoughts ?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi,

Excellent plan! As well as being less expensive it will give you much more flexibility and better use of your precious time pre-cruise.

Pick-up and drop-off in different cities is acceptable to all the larger car hire companies but they do make a charge for this service. I have used it on many occasions in both Europe and UK and have always found the convenience to be worth the extra cost when travelling to more than one place or when time is at a premium.

However, as the train journey from Warnemünde to Berlin takes roughly the same time as by road and the cost can be as little as 60euros for a group of three, (Quer-Durchs-land ticket, see http://www.bahn.com/i/view/GBR/en/prices/germany/quer-durchs-land-ticket.shtml for details) it may be worthwhile to compare the precise costs for your post-cruise journey.

Happy cruising,:)

Anni

Hi Travelanni,

Thank you for the quick response. One more question I forgot to include in the previous posting. What are the rules for luggage on the train? I am only traveling with a 4-wheel carry-on & a 25 inch 4-wheel suitcase. Since I am a solo traveler, I travel light. With a standard ticket, do I need to drop off my luggage at a particular area/baggage car or do I take the luggage on board with me next to my seat since there are no seat assignments?

Hi Travelanni,

Thank you for the quick response. One more question I forgot to include in the previous posting. What are the rules for luggage on the train? I am only traveling with a 4-wheel carry-on & a 25 inch 4-wheel suitcase. Since I am a solo traveler, I travel light. With a standard ticket, do I need to drop off my luggage at a particular area/baggage car or do I take the luggage on board with me next to my seat since there are no seat assignments?

Hi, there are no luggage restrictions on any DB trains and you just take your luggage on board with you. You will be travelling on a Regional Express train which is double deck. There are generous overhead racks on both decks and and space for luggage behind/between the seats on the lower deck. I travel solo, usually with similar luggage, and find no difficulty.

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

Hi Travelanni,

Something came up and I may need to change my original cruise date. Should I have to do that and my embarkation/disbarkation is on a Saturday or Sunday, what is the frequency of the trains between Berlin and Rostock/Warnemunde on weekends? In addition, what is the frequency between Rostock and Warnemunde?

Thanks.

Hi Travelanni,

Something came up and I may need to change my original cruise date. Should I have to do that and my embarkation/disbarkation is on a Saturday or Sunday, what is the frequency of the trains between Berlin and Rostock/Warnemunde on weekends? In addition, what is the frequency between Rostock and Warnemunde?

Thanks.

Hi, on Saturday and Sunday the basic RE service (Berlin Hbf to Rostock Hbf) is exactly the same as on weekdays ie. every two hours, with the addition of one train direct from Berlin Hbf. to Warnemünde Hbf departing at 8:14 and making the return at 18:07. However, I would be wary of this train as it is a summer special specifically aimed at Berliners visiting Warnemünde for the day, uses older rolling-stock and is generally very full.

The s-bahn service between Rostock Hbf and Warnemünde Hbf is the same 7 days per week.

Anni

Edited by Travelanni

My husband and I will be in Berlin pre-cruise at the end of August. We are planning to rent a car the day before embarkation and make our way up to Warnemunde, stopping and looking around along the way. We know we want to see Schwerin but are looking for other suggestions? We would like to explore "authentic" towns, not tourist traps. Can you make suggestions for a route for us, and maybe an interesting place to spend the night before heading to Warnemunde and boarding the ship? Many thanks!

My husband and I will be in Berlin pre-cruise at the end of August. We are planning to rent a car the day before embarkation and make our way up to Warnemunde, stopping and looking around along the way. We know we want to see Schwerin but are looking for other suggestions? We would like to explore "authentic" towns, not tourist traps. Can you make suggestions for a route for us, and maybe an interesting place to spend the night before heading to Warnemunde and boarding the ship? Many thanks!

Hi, the quickest route between Berlin and Warnemünde is via route E26/19 but a) it does not touch Schwerin and b) like all motorways it skirts the towns and is not very interesting.

There are two other possible routes.

• 2. Take Route 5 all the way up to Ludwigslust. This is the old road and runs through several towns of varying size including Nauan, Wusterhausen, Perleberg, Karstadt and Grabow, as well as many villages; all typical and right off the tourist route.

The route between Ludwigslust and Schwerin is through very flat, typical Mecklenburg farming country.

From Schwerin take Route 14 to Wismar. A UNESCO heritage town and a good place to spend the night.

From Wismar you can take either Route 20 direct to Warnemünde or the back roads along the coast.

Depending on which way you choose Berlin to Wismar is about 3-4 hours drive and Wismar to Warnemünde about 1 hour.

I hope this helps with your planning. If you have any specific questions please ask, especially as regards Ludwigslust.

Anni

Edited by Travelanni
Web site will not let me preview post before submitting

Thanks to another person posting your link, travelanni, I've pretty much decided to spend my port day visiting Schwerin (satisfying my girly castle side) and Ludwigslust (for the WW II history buff side of me) via train on my own. It sounds like a full yet very relaxing day? Your site was so useful, I just wanted to say thank you for your time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh dear! Now that I've immersed myself in this excellent thread I'm ....

1. Now thinking I may just want to spend the day inWarnemunde enjoying the beach and fish OR Schwerin/Ludwigslust. I am guessing all three is asking a bit much?

2. I'm now a bit confused about the best way to purchase tickets as a solo? (The world sure does punish you for being alone! single supplements, higher train prices, I need to find more friends with time and money and no children at home - ignore all this if you don't like a sarcastic sense of humor, being Valentine's Day here and all is making me feel bad for not being part of a family or couple all the more as this is my first trip abroad solo. Assuming the Warnemunde to Ludwigslust then Schwerin plan, what is my best transportation plan ticket-wise? Any tips on Ludwigslust other than what you've shared on your site, which is what convinced me I want to make that a priority.

I will be there as a cruise stop for one day in early June and we are to be in port from 0700 to 2200.

Thank you for your time, Audrey

PS: if you ever find yourself in the American southwest, I'm here to help!

Thanks to another person posting your link, travelanni, I've pretty much decided to spend my port day visiting Schwerin (satisfying my girly castle side) and Ludwigslust (for the WW II history buff side of me) via train on my own. It sounds like a full yet very relaxing day? Your site was so useful, I just wanted to say thank you for your time.

Hi, thank you very much for your appreciation.

I hate to spoil your plans but I'm afraid that the direct route between Schwerin and Ludwigslust will be closed from approx 24th May to 13th July due to track work. The alternative route will take about 30mins longer and involve 1 change of train so you may not feel it is worth while.

I could cry to have to tell you this as I have been trying to attract visitors to Ludwigslust for a long time, pointing out how easy it is to combine Ludwigslust with Schwerin and now the railway company decides to do track work right in the middle of the cruise season.

If you, or anyone else, still want to make the journey to Ludwigslust please contact me and I will explain the alternative route in detail.

Sorry that my page misled you, I have only just found out about the closure and was actually in the process of changing the information on the web site when I read your post.

Anni

I knew I'd made up my mind to easily. I usually overthink all the options and plan too much. If it is still do-able in the amount of time I have in port, I'd still like to try. Seeing the castle is a priority, then exploring Ludwigslust, and at least a brief time to check out Warnemunde fish markets or beach would be nice. Any suggestions you have for making it possibly work are appreciated!

The world sure does punish you for being alone! single supplements, higher train prices, I need to find more friends with time and money and no children at home -

I know the feeling. Every time I am in the same situation so in 2014 I decided to put out the additional money and travel solo. No regrets! I enjoyed the freedom & flexibility plus saved money with accommodations/meals because it just had to meet my standards. Traveling solo again this year, didn't even bother searching or asking for a travel partner.

Join the roll call for your sailing; I met a lot of nice CC people who I met up with for shipboard activities as well as on shore last year. Cruisers are a great, fun, bunch in general & it is easy to connect with people.

I knew I'd made up my mind to easily. I usually overthink all the options and plan too much. If it is still do-able in the amount of time I have in port, I'd still like to try. Seeing the castle is a priority, then exploring Ludwigslust, and at least a brief time to check out Warnemunde fish markets or beach would be nice. Any suggestions you have for making it possibly work are appreciated!

Hi, the best ticket, even for a solo, if you want to travel further than Rostock is the Mecklenburg Lander Ticket. See my web site for details.

Re your wish to visit Schwerin, Ludwigslust and Warnemünde. Normally this would be easy but I'm afraid that with the re-scheduling of the trains which I mentioned, at the very best you would be able to have three hours in Schwerin, two hours in Ludwigslust ( or the other way round) and about an hour in Warnemünde immediately before you sailed. Total travel time of around five and a half hours. :(

If you are still interested I can give you an exact itinerary and maybe even meet you in Schwerin to help you get to Ludwigslust. No ulterior motive here, just a desire to promote my home town and help a fellow solo traveller!

We also have a Schloss here but it is under renovation at the moment. Some of the rooms are still open but a lot of the contents are away for restoration ready for the re-opening of the main rooms in 2016. The Schloss Park, the Church and the town itself are very interesting.

BTW the actual fish markets in Warnemünde only operate on the weekend but the 'fishy-snack' stalls and retaurants are there all the time.

Anni

Thank you very much for your kind, generous offer. I've decided that it must not be in the cards to visit your town on this trip. Hopefully, I will return to the area some day. With the more time-consuming logistics and remodel of the Schloss, it does not seem the best use of limited time. I sincerely appreciate your honesty and do hope to visit in the future.

I am not sure if I should make this a separate thread and I apologize if this has been asked.

Right now, my son and I are planning on taking the ships transportation from Rostock to Berlin (via a van). I am trying to understand approximate driving times so I can figure out how long to plan our visit.

I think we will visit the Gemaldegalerie for 1.5 hours and then arrange a quick tour - but not sure for how long. (3 hours?) We arrive in Rostock at 7am.

Edited by FlyawayK
Typos

Thank you very much for your kind, generous offer. I've decided that it must not be in the cards to visit your town on this trip. Hopefully, I will return to the area some day. With the more time-consuming logistics and remodel of the Schloss, it does not seem the best use of limited time. I sincerely appreciate your honesty and do hope to visit in the future.

Hi, thank you for your appreciation.

Whilst it would have been nice to welcome you to LWL, in the circumstances you have made a wise choice.

Hopefully you will get to this area again and more people will be encouraged to visit us when the Schloss is fully reopened in 2016. A lot of the art works, tapestries, furniture etc. now on display in Schwerin are originally from Ludwigslust and will be moved back here. Look for updates on my Ludwigslust web page.

Enjoy your day in Mecklenburg.

Anni

Are trains more frequent from Hamburg to Rostock or from Berlin to Rostock? Trying to decide to fly into which city for our cruise June 29 departing from Warnemunde .

Hi, please see the reply to this question on your other thread.

Anni

I am not sure if I should make this a separate thread and I apologize if this has been asked.

Right now, my son and I are planning on taking the ships transportation from Rostock to Berlin (via a van). I am trying to understand approximate driving times so I can figure out how long to plan our visit.

I think we will visit the Gemaldegalerie for 1.5 hours and then arrange a quick tour - but not sure for how long. (3 hours?) We arrive in Rostock at 7am.

Hi, in my experience the driving time direct to Berlin via the Autobahn is approximately 2hrs 30mins depending on the traffic once you hit the Berlin suburbs but I don't know how fast you will be driving or how many rest stops will be made.

It would be better to get this information, plus exactly how long you will have at your disposal in Berlin, from the cruise line.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Anni

Edited by Travelanni