Cruising in january. Cold?

mnjennfl

We left Miami one early Jan. and the outside muster was cancelled and we were still wearing our gloves and heavier coats worn down to Fl from the midwest. We left port when it was in the forties. Took until the second full day that we could feel really warm! More info from you is needed.

Edited by eandj

We left Miami one early Jan. and the outside muster was cancelled and we were still wearing our gloves and heavier coats worn down to Fl from the midwest. We left port when it was in the forties. Took until the second full day that we could feel really warm! More info from you is needed.
All the more reason to like Princess and inside Muster where you're warm and comfortable.

Florida weather will be more variable but as you cruise south (if that's what you're doing), it'll be warmer and less variable. Pack the jeans as you may find you need them. Once you're out of Florida, chances are you won't be shivering although it can be quite cool inside the ship even when it's very warm out.

When we left Miami this same weekend in 2010, it was pretty chilly and windy up on deck for sail away. Our Boston friends didn't wear heavy jackets. I had a hood on mine. It warmed up the more south we got (Eastern Caribbean, plus Roatan Honduras). HOWEVER, when we returned, it was FRIGID that year. It almost seemed like snow was falling in the wee hours when coming into port. I was out of the balcony a couple of minutes for a picture.

What we remembered were folks waiting to be picked up after the cruise or going to the garage in shirt sleeves. They must have had some internal warming mechanism (;)-or "anti-freeze" because it was downright cold. Hubby was even freezing walking to the garage. It was the coldest temperature down there in many years.

It is 47-52 degrees here in Central Florida right now, with a couple of days of warm-up coming, but with low temps at night. Then, another, colder front will be coming through.

This is the long answer to your short question, lol. But, yes, I would pack some jeans or warm sweats/pants. It can be cool on the ship in general, at night.

I hope this helps. Lynne

It is 47-52 degrees here in Central Florida right now, with a couple of days of warm-up coming, but with low temps at night. Then, another, colder front will be coming through.

You know, most people in other parts of the country are probably thinking that sounds downright warm compared to where they are. ;)

Also, if the OP is sailing on the CB out of Houston - as we are in a couple weeks - we've been hearing that Houston has been a bit chilly (not to mention foggy), and that the first day out from Houston and the last day back to Houston has been a bit chilly on a few cruises this season. We're definitely planning on bringing a pair of jeans and maybe even a sweatshirt (which we have NEVER done when sailing to the Caribbean from Florida.) Also, here are links to the AccuWeather January forecast for Ft. Lauderdale and the AccuWeather's January forecast for Houston, for what it may be worth. The longer range forecasts are very speculative, of course, but they still might give you an idea of temperature ranges. You can do a search on the same AccuWeather site for your ports of call. Hope that helps.

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere

Also, if the OP is sailing on the CB out of Houston - as we are in a couple weeks - we've been hearing that Houston has been a bit chilly (not to mention foggy), and that the first day out from Houston and the last day back to Houston has been a bit chilly on a few cruises this season. We're definitely planning on bringing a pair of jeans and maybe even a sweatshirt (which we have NEVER done when sailing to the Caribbean from Florida.) Also, here are links to the AccuWeather January forecast for Ft. Lauderdale and the AccuWeather's January forecast for Houston, for what it may be worth. The longer range forecasts are very speculative, of course, but they still might give you an idea of temperature ranges. You can do a search on the same AccuWeather site for your ports of call. Hope that helps.

Happily, out of Houston you'll quickly be in the Caribbean! :)

LuLu

~~~~

We sailed out of Galveston in February last year. A little cool for the first two days and my wife did not enjoy our rear facing balcony as a result. After that, fine. January may be a bit nippy.

Edited by philv

We usually sail around this time & the Caribbean is warm. As one poster mentioned 2010 was an anomaly. It was 30F in Miami when we sailed. It was snowing in Tampa on our way home. It is unseasonably cold in FL right now & in the northeast so maybe one warmer outfit would be good. You need something to wear home anyway.

Happily, out of Houston you'll quickly be in the Caribbean! :)

LuLu

~~~~

We sailed out of Galveston in February last year. A little cool for the first two days and my wife did not enjoy our rear facing balcony as a result. After that, fine. January may be a bit nippy.
We sailed out of Galveston in February of 2007 on the Grand. Weather in Galveston was nice but it was cool/cold the entire first day cruising the Gulf of Mexico until we reached the Yucatan peninsula. We watched the Oscars on MUTS bundled in a blanket. Weather in Costa Maya, Belize, Roatan and Cozumel was nice and warm. The last day in the Gulf was again cool and windy.

It will be -15 here tomorrow. I envy you cruising tomorrow!

I do bring a pair of jeans with me to the Caribbean - most of the time I have them on when I fly down there. Once you leave FLL, it is usually warm. Enjoy!

While the Caribbean certainly is warmer than most of the US in January, it IS still winter there and often it's the breeze (or just plain wind!) that makes it feel colder than we'd like while the ship is at sea. I always bring a light cotton sweater and that takes the chill off for me when walking around outside on the decks.

You know, most people in other parts of the country are probably thinking that sounds downright warm compared to where they are. ;)

Here is the biggest understatement on this board!!!

Outside last night -29C or -17F. So for us in 3 days anything above freezing will feel like a heat wave!!

The Queen Mary 2 was in NY Harbor yesterday and folks have shared some pretty incredible pictures over on the Cunard board. There is a reason that most cruise lines don't cruise out of the Northeast in January!! Where ever you go in the Caribbean, I think you'll all be fine. :)

Qm2.jpg.0feb8c7672cade0b55474e09de475046.jpg