2014 Whisper World Cruise Live Blogging Segment 1

CanadianKate

Hello all my fellow cruisers and for those arm-chair cruisers following along at home!

I'm ensconced in my hotel in Long Beach, counting down the hours until I board! Got some shopping to do (sunscreen is number one on the list!) It is lovely to have +20*C weather after leaving home in well under -20*C temperatures. We ended up having to bring long underwear just to get to the airport!

I'll be aboard for the first two segments of the world cruise blogging along the way. I'm not a World Cruiser so it will be up to those on segments after Sydney to take up the mantle.

Just a reminder for those on the first segment, I have confirmation from Cruise Critic that a Meet & Mingle is in place, am now just waiting for word once I'm on-board as to the details. I'm sure the World Cruisers also have special events organized but they are welcome at this M&M as well.

If you are interested in joining in, please register to attend a Meet & Mingle (it is a red link in the box above the posts in this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1946653)

Thanks Kate for starting this WC Segment(s) thread. Look forward to vicariously--from my comfortable arm chair--cruising along with y'all on the Whisper. If you get the chance please pass our (Ida and I) warm regards along to Captain Corsaro and the CD, Fernando.

:confused:

Looking at Whisper's itinerary --thinking about perhaps hooking up near the end of WC -- there's an unexplained gap in the schedule posted on the SS website.

April 21 - 9 days Istanbul-Barcelona

(we're at April 30 now)....

Next listing:

May 7 - 9 days Lisbon-Southampton

I can't believe a charter is booked for the April 30-May 7 portion -- any ideas?

Mary Ann

It's good to see you back onboard a SS ship Kate. I know what you mean by those crazy cold temps... it was -30 Celsius this morning in Minneapolis. Bad business trip scheduling on my part for sure.

Have a great trip! I look forward to following your reports.

Smooth sailing, rocky start.

We are underway and the ship is moving smoothly so far, although I'm a little woozy. Don't drink so will have to blame the location of my cabin. My fault (I agreed to the last minute change of cabin) and hopefully I'll get use to it.

Other things are not my fault and taking me by surprise and/or sadness that things haven't got better since our last cruise 2 years ago.

First (and most important to me) no hypo-allergenic toiletries. I'm violently allergic to the other offerings so this won't do. I do wish they'd stop advertising they carry them since for many of us, this isn't a matter of liking one brand of scotch more than another, it is a health issue. Fortunately, I learned from our Africa cruise two years ago and have enough of everything with me for the cruise, except soap but will have more than enough to last to our first port of call at the end of the week. I intend to present SS with the bill for the soap requesting the amount be credited to our account.

Second: no fruit on arrival (although our butler asked and it is here now, after dinner.) I was famished, so really missed it. There was a nice box of chocolates, though. Which are now missing many. So much for my plan to eat healthy and lose weight.

Third: no sparkling anything in the cabin. We don't drink alcohol but were kind of hoping for the Sutter Fre. That was offered at dinner. No bottled water in the suite either.

Fourth: of course, none of the things we had requested to be in our cabin were there. Seriously, why offer the space for requests on the dang form that we must fill in online if our requests won't be acted upon. Pillows were eventually found and brought to the cabin. The bed was made up as we requested so I suppose I should be grateful for small mercies. All the things we requested that can be provided are now in place after dinner. But rather than having us ask for them twice (once online and then again when we meet the butler), it would have been nice to have our first request honoured.

Fourth: No umbrella in the suite. Not sure if they have all been removed or just ours. Binoculars are still there. This is just whining, I have my own umbrella with me, it just looks like a decrease in service.

Fifth: The new tvs don't have a mute button. We like to have the bridge cam or the weather update on but no music or to mute the tv when the butler comes to the room. Now we have to grab the remote and raise the volume manually each time. This sort of little thing will irritate me multiple times per day.

Sixth: someone in the terrace suite put a chair outside their cabin. Had to walk around it during the muster drill. Hope they are flogged. Or at least realize now that the area outside their suite is the emergency route and can't be cluttered up with furniture. Although I was shocked it was left there and not removed by the crew who were conducting the drill. I fought back the urge to toss it overboard on my way past. Just as well because that would have broken the “don't throw anything over the side” rule.

Seventh: check in. This time it was Silversea's fault, not the port. There was a long lineup and only one person checking documents. It was 40 minutes from the time we got to the top of the escalator until we were onboard with a glass of punch. And then another short queue for the pictures and registering our credit card. About 30 minutes of that we were standing still in a lineup. The only fun part was watching the confused looks of those arriving and seeing the lineup and assuming it was for another cruise line and asking where to go for Silversea. On the plus side, once SS added enough personnel to deal with the crowd, the backlog was cleared out in 10 – 15 minutes. So arriving at 12:25 was a bad idea.

Ninth: THIS IS HUGE FOR US: The internet charges have changed. There is 200 minutes for $99, or unlimited for a single charge. Per day. Of $22 if you buy a single day, $20/day if you buy 5 days in a row or $18/day if you buy for the whole cruise. This has added about $200 to the cost of internet for us for the cruise. We used to buy 1000 minutes and then top up with another 200, averaging about 40 minutes per day. On the plus side, now I don't need to be irritated when I'm burning through minutes because the internet is so slow. That's the only plus side – you still can't have two devices online at once.

On the plus side:

First: our luggage arrived quickly

Second: Nice sail away

Third: food is still good by our standards. Service is a bit sloppy but that will improve, I try not to judge by day one because it is such a chaotic day.

Fourth: crew is still hardworking

Fifth: our fellow passengers are as interesting as ever.

Sixth: it's been a long time since we've been on the Shadow/Whisper and our memories seemed to have mixed up the ships. Thought there was more storage in the suite (must have been thinking of the Spirit). On the other hand, thought the gym was much smaller and don't recall the yoga room. Both were pleasant surprises.

Thanks Kate for the candid post of your rocky start on Whisper's WC embark day. Also, do hope the service challenges with y'alls suite improve significantly and soonest. Hopefully, your Butler has now fixed fresh fruit replenishment daily, water choice and maybe in coord. with HD, can get the hypo-allergenic soap u need for your next port(Lahaina). Disappointed to hear of new internet charges; @ first blush seems like another Silversea policy change to just gain revenue w/o increased service. Hope your first sea day is enjoyable. Looking forward to reading more about your WC seggie adventures.

Thank you for your 1st day report. Hope things straighten up soon as there are some significant issues going on.

I am not allergic to any soaps, cosmetics, etc, but they really do need to stop advertising that they offer hypoallergenic stuff if they don't. Like you say, it isn't that you just prefer one brand over another, it is a health thing.

And the internet thing is huge.

Two other new things:

1. Slippers are different style. More a flip-flop, thong, slipper (depending on your country's word for the style where there is a post between the big toe and the second toe. I can't wear those due to stubby toes (and didn't bring slippers because I didn't need them, SS provides.) Luckily we saw our butler walking by with a pair of the old ones and she got me a pair as well.

2. New menu. Completely new. This is also disconcerting as I was looking forward to the penne off the always available menu. It isn't there now. And the new choices are less exciting to me (except for the salmon.) On the other hand, they list the available sides and sauces (which I like) and, being SS, seem willing to make adjustments for taste. It will be interesting to hear what others say about the new menu.

The next-day's menu sheet delivered the night before (optional now), only has one item listed under each category except the main. So that is new too.

update on Silversea Internet policy as it stands now:

a. Per Silversea Travel pro at their Ft. Lauderdale HQ, internet packages have not changed. She did tell me that it's possible the World Cruise set a unique pricing package.

b. Per Silversea website, here is what the price of using the internet on board is:

http://www.silversea.com/faq/

What is the charge for Internet service?

Whether accessing the Internet via your own laptop computers or via the Internet Café computers, the same rates apply. All charges are posted directly to your onboard account. No credit is given for unused Time Plan minutes. Rates shown are in US dollars and are subject to change.

Basic Rate: $0.50 per minute (pay as you go)

Time Plan 1: 100 minutes for $45 ($0.45 per minute)

Time Plan 2: 250 minutes for $85 ($0.34 per minute)

Time Plan 3: 1000 minutes for $250 ($0.25 per minute)

Wes: we were told it was special pricing for the world cruise. We were also told there were no minute packages but when we signed in, that was an option (but at 50 cents per minute so not economical since we need 1200 minutes minimum.)

It seems to be a screw over the rich folks because they won't notice policy. My next long segment to finish our cruising goal is on Crystal. Haven't tried them before but at this point am looking forward to it since SS is doing nothing to encourage my loyalty.

Suffice to say the website lies. Internet pricing is different and no hypo allergenic toiletries.

Spent the day slowing down. It is hard work to leave behind the frantic month of December (I'm a preacher.)

Up early due to not having adjusted to this time zone. Enjoyed the view of an amazing sunrise over the ocean from the comfort of my bed (we sleep with the drapes open.)

Got to the sunrise walk almost on time in order to live up to my vacation goal of taking care of myself after ignoring my body for far too long. Followed on with exercise bike and physio stretches as I continue to recover from being bedridden over a year ago and then again this past summer.

Pedicure (I'm from the north where paying for a pedicure and then putting on socks and boots is not conducive to long lasting results)

Then quiet time in the cabin, lunch, reading on the pool deck snuggled together under blankets with dh (sunny but cool wind, high in the 60's, then a nap (went to bed at 12:30 last night) and then a lovely time at tea and fun time at trivia.

I'm getting my sea legs slowly. The headache is almost gone. Still tired but then again I'm keeping strange hours.

Now I'm waiting for our pre-dinner snacks of cut veggies for me, and sushi for dh. Then dress for dinner and the concert after.

We have an excellent butler, our best yet – no training or getting into the rhythm of each others' patterns needed, we seem a perfect fit from the first day.

Dave, the IT officer is working very, very, hard and asking headquarters to go back to offering the 1000 minutes. Once again, there's the disconnect between corporate and on-board staff. Corporate see us as revenue generating units, on-board treat us like valued guests.

Edited by CanadianKate

Sigh.... Another mix-up.

While the Chronicle didn't highlight it, the Restaurant is closed to the general ship population for a World Cruiser event. The only clue from the Chronicle was that there are no hours for dinner at The Restaurant. Our butler told us to go to La Terazza, without reservations, since it is the only restaurant open to the remaining passengers. No problem. Arrived early since there could be up to 200 passengers dining there. It was empty.

Turns out the menu for today we were given last night is the set menu for the World Cruisers. We spent the whole day looking forward to Roasted Prime Kansas Beef but were handed today's menu at La Terazza. That was what was being offered. Unfortunately, while we eat there when invited by compelling hosts, Italian food is not generally to our liking and not our choice.

So it was back to the cabin.

The in-suite menu is still the old "always available" menu (yay!) so I was settling for my old standard (and favourite) starters and salmon. By the time we went to place the order, word had been sent from La Terazza to room service that we would be calling in and they offered us the set menu. So I'm getting my favourite starters along with the roast beef.

The plus: I'll probably enjoy this dinner more than the set menu. The minuses: I won't be dining with others, plus I got dressed up and put on makeup unnecessarily (although I'm not changing back but staying dressed up for the concert tonight.)

BTW: our stop at Fanning Island (a Silver Experience) has been canceled due to infrastructure damage. I'm a curse to my fellow passengers (on the 2011 WC segment, our Silver Experience at the Great Barrier Reef was canceled and on our 2012 Wind voyage up, the Dinner under the Stars in the Desert was not offered, after years of offering it, and despite the WC doing it.)

Edited by CanadianKate

Turns out the menu for today we were given last night is the set menu for the World Cruisers. We spent the whole day looking forward to Roasted Prime Kansas Beef but were handed today's menu at La Terazza. That was what was being offered. Unfortunately, while we eat there when invited by compelling hosts, Italian food is not generally to our liking and not our choice.

So it was back to the cabin.

The in-suite menu is still the old "always available" menu (yay!) so I was settling for my old standard (and favourite) starters and salmon. By the time we went to place the order, word had been sent from La Terazza to room service that we would be calling in and they offered us the set menu. So I'm getting my favourite starters along with the roast beef.

Thanks for your very interesting posts. I do not gainsay your frustration about not having access to The Restaurant for the evening. I see no evidence that you threw a tantrum in La Terazza. I assume you simply expressed disappointment that you wouldn't have the prime rib and said that you would order from the in suite menu. What I find remarkable -- and so characteristic of most SS folk -- is that the maitre d' (or someone) took the trouble to call room service and alert them to your forthcoming call and that they offered (suggested?) the roast beef. Though I understand that the WC is a special beast and the evening was a special evening for WC cruisers, I think that one can *always* order room service from that day's lunch and dinner menus during regular meal hours.

During the discussion at La Terazza (where I'll admit to being bitter) it was stressed over and over that the set menu was for the World Cruisers and we should never have seen it and our butler would be spoken to for causing the confusion.

That seemed unfair to me because through the day our butler had been negotiating a special appetizer for dh to go along with the roast beef and no-one told her the roast beef wasn't being offered to us. So there are definite on-board communication problems. (The appetizer wasn't available because of the lack of 24 hours notice but, of course, we don't know what meals are being served the next day until after dinner each night so can't possibly match special requests to entrees on offer - but that is another issue we are working through with the staff.)

On the other hand, in-suite dining took our order and then asked if we'd prefer to have the set menu instead. So yes, that was proactive on the part of staff, once our displeasure had been made known.

One of the biggest issues I have with such mix-ups is that they occur when I'm at low blood sugar. I'm used to eating by 6 so going for dinner at 7:15 and discovering that it will be 8:20 before someone shows up with food for me is not going to bring out my sunny personality. So, despite a pretty good day at sea, my memory from the day is getting all dressed up for a dinner to top off a great day, being seating, then having to leave the dining room, then having to sit in the cabin, waiting an hour for my meal to arrive. We eat virtually every dinner sitting at large tables and dinner is the social highlight of the day for us. That was ruined for us last night through a chain of mistakes (both policy decisions made to offer world cruisers a special event at the expense of other passengers, plus miscommunication through the ranks.)

Edited by CanadianKate

A bit discouraging to hear that there seems to be a different level of service for the world cruise passengers vs segmenters. I understand they want to offer extra special events for the world cruisers, but this seems to not be handled very well.

Interestingly, when I inquired last year (twice) about booking one of the segments of the WC that you are on, I was told in no uncertain terms that they would NOT be booking segments. My TA, who books a lot of Silversea, was told the same. When they did announce that segments could be booked much later, we couldn't do it because we had already made other plans as I have to plan my schedule a year in advance.

I've had no problem booking WC segments, just getting cabin assignments. Those don't come for me until the day of final payment and only if I kick up a huge fuss. Understandable but frustrating since on a cruise with 2 5+ stretches of sea days, happiness with a cabin is crucial to enjoyment.

For years I've been claiming Vistas are wonderful. And they are. But today is a perfect day for a Verandah cabin. My knee needs lots of physio in prep for an upcoming hike and to do it on our balcony is true luxury and makes me resent the time spent on physio a bit less.

This is my second cruise with WCers and they aren't the same sort of annoyance as a regular large group. My surprise is that my menu was changed due to their event, not that I had to move to another restaurant.

I'm not Duct Tape so I don't have the official numbers but unofficially through my butler:

~170 World Cruisers

~300 pax on board for this segment, full house from Auckland to Sydney

Edited by CanadianKate