Great Info From LauraS

Agreed. Speaking as a moderator, we only have two eyes. It's impossible to read every thread. It's the members of the Cruise Critic community that police the forums by reporting rude posts, or posts that violate the Community Guidelines. If you see a questionable post, don't hesitate to click on the red triangle and file a report.

Thanks for jumping in Kewlguy! I appreciate all you Mods do and agree that the members need to become more proactive in identifying problem posts. Happy New Year!!!

Agreed. Speaking as a moderator, we only have two eyes. It's impossible to read every thread. It's the members of the Cruise Critic community that police the forums by reporting rude posts, or posts that violate the Community Guidelines. If you see a questionable post, don't hesitate to click on the red triangle and file a report.

I always thought you mods would think we are being pests so I generally try to nicely defend myself (or others) from unwarranted attacks. Although I suppose all attacks are unwarranted, aren't they? :)

I always thought you mods would think we are being pests so I generally try to nicely defend myself (or others) from unwarranted attacks. Although I suppose all attacks are unwarranted, aren't they? :)

That's the benefit of our fine mods, like Kewlguy, having previously been regular ole joes like us. ;) There's been a couple sour apples with agendas, one in particular on another board (previously), but ours is...well...pretty"Kewl."

Edited by Aquahound

. Some users really need to be scrutinized for their habit of being rude.

Can we report someone for rudeness. I know we can for being abusive, but, one poster just rankles me with his answers, especially to newbies. I know he thinks he's hilarious, but, I don't! :mad:

My pet peeve? People who start a new thread simply saying that they have either booked a cruise, made a final payment on a cruise, have xx days to go before their cruise or something like that without any other information included. If they have posted a "just got back" message with a review then that is a different story, but to create a new post just to announce to the world that they have made a reservation is wasted bandwidth.

But imagine if everyone posted one of these messages three times before taking a cruise? The board would be basically loaded with these threads and have no useful information.

Now before anyone says, no I am not envious of anyone or the like. I just would like the signal to noise ratio to be better.

Wow, isn't this kind of going in the opposite direction from being helpful and friendly? My very first post was right after booking my very first cruise. I was so excited, and everyone was so nice about it. :)

Can we report someone for rudeness. I know we can for being abusive, but, one poster just rankles me with his answers, especially to newbies. I know he thinks he's hilarious, but, I don't! :mad:

I'm pretty sure we can...and have an idea who you are talking about. Needless to say, I've used the "red triangle" a few times...it's worked.

IMHO, it's really not about not wanting to help someone when a new thread is started and the first line in the post is "I would have done a search, but this is quicker". The "Search This Thread" function can be your friend if you know how to use it and want to take the time to use it.

Just for chuckles and grins I did a search on 4 topics and found the following....

Tipping/Gratuities -- 20 pages

Jeans in MDR -- 19 pages

Alcohol -- 19 pages

Insurance -- 20 pages

I think you are exactly the type of poster LauraS is referring to when she says quit telling people to do a search, especially newbies. In the short time I have been here you seem to be one who says this very often. Not everyone has been on these boards as long as you and certainly most are not on here every day like you.

Much less posting by some on here would make this place much nicer. I personally wish they wouldn't even list the number of posts per member. So many old-timers try to one up each other with how many posts they have. Quantity does not necessarily make quality.

But of course now your "friends" on here will come after me for calling you out. LauraS referred to that bullying problem as well.

I think we all know who you are talking about. I recommend, next time you see him do it, click the triangle, quote the wave season message, and recommend his membership be reviewed.

Speaking from a newbie perspective I can say that the search functionality isn't very user friendly. I may not be using it correctly but when I search for a specific topic, I get many results. I start at the top and more often than not I'm in old threads. It can take a long time to find a recent thread. That being said, I find that I don't often have to ask questions. I just lurk and eventually whatever questions I may have had are answered. Sometimes I think that people ask questions not only to get the information but also because they are excited about their cruise and are looking to engage others...JMHO.

I think you are exactly the type of poster LauraS is referring to when she says quit telling people to do a search, especially newbies. In the short time I have been here you seem to be one who says this very often. Not everyone has been on these boards as long as you and certainly most are not on here every day like you.

Much less posting by some on here would make this place much nicer. I personally wish they wouldn't even list the number of posts per member. So many old-timers try to one up each other with how many posts they have. Quantity does not necessarily make quality.

But of course now your "friends" on here will come after me for calling you out. LauraS referred to that bullying problem as well.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/announcement.php?f=83&a=360

you may want to read # 5 and #8 again

IMHO, it's really not about not wanting to help someone when a new thread is started and the first line in the post is "I would have done a search, but this is quicker". The "Search This Thread" function can be your friend if you know how to use it and want to take the time to use it.

Just for chuckles and grins I did a search on 4 topics and found the following....

Tipping/Gratuities -- 20 pages

Jeans in MDR -- 19 pages

Alcohol -- 19 pages

Insurance -- 20 pages

I believe that you have misinterpreted my post above. In my post, I never mentioned "newbies". I was directing my response to new threads being started by people who do not want to take the time to search for their answer. In my experience, this is done more often than not by established members rather than new members.

Reading and understanding the Community Guidelines is the key to a successful message board. :)

I provide answers to questions with information that I know is correct and can back up. I try to point people in the right direction to find the answer they are looking for. I'm sorry if you feel that is not what I am doing.

I provide answers to questions with information that I know is correct and can back up. I try to point people in the right direction to find the answer they are looking for. I'm sorry if you feel that is not what I am doing.

MOST of us realize that is exactly what you are doing and it doesnt go unnoticed and we appreciate your input very much :)

I consider you one of the most helpful and polite people on this whole forum.

I have never ever seen you be rude to anyone around here.

Not to add fuel to the fire, but I thought cruisenfever raised a valid point. Often there are posters who could get their questions answered with a little searching. Now, I understand the social aspect of the boards, and it is nice to get a human response. Sometimes though, the answer is already there!

Just to note- I'm not a "friend" of cruisenfever's, but I have benefitted from her very helpful posts on balcony discounts and the Radiance (and I'm sure others that I have forgotten). There are definitely some unhelpful folks out there, but from my experience Patti isn't one of them.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Just to note- I'm not a "friend" of cruisenfever's, but I have benefitted from her very helpful posts on balcony discounts and the Radiance (and I'm sure others that I have forgotten). There are definitely some unhelpful folks out there, but from my experience Patti isn't one of them.

This ^

I wouldnt know her if she walked up to me but I agree with everything you just said.

MOST of us realize that is exactly what you are doing and it doesnt go unnoticed and we appreciate your input very much :)

I consider you one of the most helpful and polite people on this whole forum.

I have never ever seen you be rude to anyone around here.

Here here, very well said, and very true. I know I can depend on what Patti posts.:)

Guest maddycat
Here here, very well said, and very true. I know I can depend on what Patti posts.:)

As with your posts. When Patti and Bob post information it is helpful and accurate.

Lilyrosemum-IMHO-both Clarea and Cruisenfever are the two I can always count on for simple answers and just the facts. Cruisenfever has often talked me off the ledge when I come into a heated discussion because she generally understands the point I'm trying to get across and does it with kindness.

Most people do really like, even though we have never met them, the above two posters for the great information they provide.

Now I will agree with you that we have internet bullies here that friends do come and rally to protect them when someone calls them out and those posters get under my skin. I'd love to see those type get a little warning more often but again, not Patti!!;)

Edited by Debde

Patti's one of those people you can always rely on to answer a policy, perks, discount, administrative or procedural question about how RCI does things and how we can benefit from them. Rarely do I see her engaged in an opinionated slugfest. She answers questions and is pretty much always right. We can use more people like her (and Bob!) on these boards.

Plus, I did have the pleasure of cruising with her once, so I also know she's a helluva nice gal. :)

I agree with most of the sentiments posted here, but I struggle mightily with the need to silence people we don't like, and the inability to ignore their posts. These forums would be awfully boring if everything each of us didn't like or were marginally offended by disappeared. In fact we are lucky in this forum compared to some of the other cruise line forums where some of the mods are completely intolerant of any views that differ from their own.

Again, I am happy with civility, but i never think deleting and banning are the real solutions. Deleting posts = good. Deleting entire threads = just means the search feature won't allow the search feature to work. I prefer locking threads with an actual explanation as to why the thread was locked. Banning people = just means they return as a new id and we have to learn all over again that they are jerks. I would always prefer to know the jerk by just seeing his / her name and avatar.

Just my own contrarian opinion on this particular topic.:D

jc

Maybe I'm one of those long time members that doesn't know how to use the search feature and I consider myself to be more tech savvy than most. I get tired of running searches just to have to sort through hundreds of threads or posts, many of which are very old. It's not always easy to sort out when a policy may have changed either. I, for one, am not bothered when someone asks a question that could be answered with a search. That's what keeps this board going. If people didn't keep asking questions, there would be nothing to answer.

For instance, I've sometimes wanted to find out info about a certain room on a certain ship. If I type in 1102 Radiance - every single ship with a number 1102 pops up along with every time a "Radiance" class ship has been mentioned. (over 150 threads and over 200 posts) Now if I search for threads, I have to scroll through what could be a very long thread to find mention of "either" of these words since not just that phrase comes up. Both of the "words" will be found in the search so it's not just radiance class that shows up. If I look for just "posts" and not "threads" then posts are taken out of context. Sometimes this matters, and sometimes not.

I've sometimes looked for a word (can't think of one at the moment) that has multiple meanings so irrelevant threads or posts come up all the time.

Yes, the search "can" be helpful but it certainly isn't always. A new question about the same old thing can bring fresh and current answers. There's nothing wrong with that. For lurkers that are fearful of posting, the search can be entertaining enough. For those who like interaction with others, they should feel free to ask without being told to run a search.

With all the refurbishments and policy changes lately, let's face it, most of the info or photos brought up with a search is not likely to be especially relevant.

Gina

My pet peeve? People who start a new thread simply saying that they have either booked a cruise, made a final payment on a cruise, have xx days to go before their cruise or something like that without any other information included. If they have posted a "just got back" message with a review then that is a different story, but to create a new post just to announce to the world that they have made a reservation is wasted bandwidth.

But imagine if everyone posted one of these messages three times before taking a cruise? The board would be basically loaded with these threads and have no useful information.

Now before anyone says, no I am not envious of anyone or the like. I just would like the signal to noise ratio to be better.

I don't get those posts either and don't read them. However, there are people who want to share their excitment with others who think similarly and that's fine with me. I doubt if everyone reads every post.

Wow, isn't this kind of going in the opposite direction from being helpful and friendly? My very first post was right after booking my very first cruise. I was so excited, and everyone was so nice about it. :)

If you post a question with your "just booked" or "attempting to book" post, then that is certainly a useful and valid post.

So in my mind something like:

"I am thinking about taking a cruise on ship xx and wanted to bring my yy who is zz. What do you think?"

Is a great thing since we will have a bunch of people here who will offer valid opinions on the subject at hand.

But if you post something that says only:

"I just booked a cruise for April 23,2014 and I am excited!"

This is more appropriate for Facebook and not a message board like Cruise Critic.

Maybe I'm one of those long time members that doesn't know how to use the search feature and I consider myself to be more tech savvy than most. I get tired of running searches just to have to sort through hundreds of threads or posts, many of which are very old. It's not always easy to sort out when a policy may have changed either. I, for one, am not bothered when someone asks a question that could be answered with a search. That's what keeps this board going. If people didn't keep asking questions, there would be nothing to answer.

For instance, I've sometimes wanted to find out info about a certain room on a certain ship. If I type in 1102 Radiance - every single ship with a number 1102 pops up along with every time a "Radiance" class ship has been mentioned. (over 150 threads and over 200 posts) Now if I search for threads, I have to scroll through what could be a very long thread to find mention of "either" of these words since not just that phrase comes up. Both of the "words" will be found in the search so it's not just radiance class that shows up. If I look for just "posts" and not "threads" then posts are taken out of context. Sometimes this matters, and sometimes not.

I've sometimes looked for a word (can't think of one at the moment) that has multiple meanings so irrelevant threads or posts come up all the time.

Yes, the search "can" be helpful but it certainly isn't always. A new question about the same old thing can bring fresh and current answers. There's nothing wrong with that. For lurkers that are fearful of posting, the search can be entertaining enough. For those who like interaction with others, they should feel free to ask without being told to run a search.

With all the refurbishments and policy changes lately, let's face it, most of the info or photos brought up with a search is not likely to be especially relevant.

Gina

Very well said. Being told to use the search feature here is about like being pointed to a "Everything .....of the Seas" thread when someone asks about a certain question regarding a certain ship....The threads have been going for 5-6 years, is thousands of posts long and just way too overwhelming to find what you are looking for. Its the same thing with the search engine.

Its pretty much worthless as things change ALL the time with RCI and the cruise industry in general.

JMHO.