Great Info From LauraS

MOST of us realize that is exactly what you are doing and it doesnt go unnoticed and we appreciate your input very much :)

I consider you one of the most helpful and polite people on this whole forum.

I have never ever seen you be rude to anyone around here.

I agree completely!

Maybe I'm one of those long time members that doesn't know how to use the search feature and I consider myself to be more tech savvy than most. I get tired of running searches just to have to sort through hundreds of threads or posts, many of which are very old. It's not always easy to sort out when a policy may have changed either.

Gina

I'm having the opposite problem. Ever since about a year ago, when I run searches, I usually get zero results. I even just did a search using the keyword "smoking" in post titles, and clicked the Royal Caribbean tab to see how many smoking threads come up for this cruise line. It came up with one. I don't know what's going on. I have everything maxed out, such as showing all posts with 0 replies or more, all posts and newer, etc. Is there a setting somewhere that I missed?

Furthermore someone who is new might not know how to work the search function.

Don't really think that, in itself, is a valid excuse. Granted, the search function is "down" periodically, but it's not hard to learn to use it. While we're putting up our lists of what other posters should / should not do ;) -- I think there are a few skills that everyone who regularly posts on CC should take the time to learn:

-- Learn to use the search function (try it, you'll like it);

-- Learn to use the "multi-quote" function -- it keeps you from having to do a separate post for every reply to a question;

-- Learn how to delete your Countdown Clocks, after your cruise (it's not even as hard as building them);

-- Learn to use the "Ignore" function. That way, you can avoid contact with people whose posts you know will annoy you.

And, if you get stuck trying to do something, CruiseCritic has a GREAT technical help board (many people don't even know it's there). Host Kat and the other staff there are very helpful. You can find it at the top of the page, under: Subforums "Need help using the boards, ask here". :cool:

Don't really think that, in itself, is a valid excuse. Granted, the search function is "down" periodically, but it's not hard to learn to use it. While we're putting up our lists of what other posters should / should not do ;) -- I think there are a few skills that everyone who regularly posts on CC should take the time to learn:

-- Learn to use the search function (try it, you'll like it);

-- Learn to use the "multi-quote" function -- it keeps you from having to do a separate post for every reply to a question;

-- Learn how to delete your Countdown Clocks, after your cruise (it's not even as hard as building them);

-- Learn to use the "Ignore" function. That way, you can avoid contact with people whose posts you know will annoy you.

And, if you get stuck trying to do something, CruiseCritic has a GREAT technical help board (many people don't even know it's there). Host Kat and the other staff there are very helpful. You can find it at the top of the page, under: Subforums "Need help using the boards, ask here". :cool:

I've wondered how people were able to quote multiple posts. Thanks for the tip on technical help. I had no idea that it existed.

I'm having the opposite problem. Ever since about a year ago, when I run searches, I usually get zero results. I even just did a search using the keyword "smoking" in post titles, and clicked the Royal Caribbean tab to see how many smoking threads come up for this cruise line. It came up with one. I don't know what's going on. I have everything maxed out, such as showing all posts with 0 replies or more, all posts and newer, etc. Is there a setting somewhere that I missed?

There are multiple locations from where to search. Maybe you are running the search from the wrong place. I'm not crazy about the "advanced search". But if you want to search the Royal Caribbean forum or any for that matter, just go to the main forum page from where that cruise line's threads start. Like for Royal, go here - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

Then Just click on the "search this forum" link in the upper right of the threads right above the announcements. Be sure to select either "show threads" or "show posts".

The newer threads show up first. The problem is that if just one person uses search and responds to an old thread, it is pushed back to the top and then others think it's a new thread. And then there are those people who complain publicly - "Do you know how old this thread is?" Who are probably the same people who complain if someone doesn't use the search feature. Of course THAT very complaint pushed the thread back up to the top so the complainer is not accomplishing anything either.

That's another reason I think a new thread with the same question can be helpful. It's fresh and it's not pushing an old outdated thread to the top. Those threads with hundreds or responses become repetitive in themselves and difficult to sort through for the information one needs.

Gina

Edited by mommabean

I am really happy that LauraS posted this. I get really tired of the jerks and bullies. The vast majority on CC are extremely helpful, but it only takes a handful of nasty people to turn off newbies and lurkers. Heck, it even turns off some veterans.

The "do a search" comments are my biggest pet peeve. If you are not going to help the OP, then just don't post a comment.

Lisa :)

Or simply mention that there is a search function...in the event they are new...which you can tell by the number of posts they have had.

I don't see any problems. All reponses are to the OP's question :confused:

That thread was cleaned up A LOT by the Moderator. It had an argument, which was very much off topic IMO, about carrying antibiotics on board and the misuse of antibiotics in general.

Really nothing to do at all with the subject at hand. :)

Edited by ryano

...and have an idea who you are talking about.

I think we all know who you are talking about.

I see I'm not alone. :D Now, I'm not gonna claim to be perfect by any means, but, I try to be friendly and helpful, have gotten a little snippy at times :o, but I try to be nice. He has no interest in helping anybody, he is just here to make fun of people's questions. it's like he was assigned to CC as community service. He recently had a bad cruise.....:D:D:D...:o

That thread was cleaned up A LOT by the Moderator. It had an argument, which was very much off topic IMO, about carrying antibiotics on board and the misuse of antibiotics in general.

Really nothing to do at all with the subject at hand. :)

Thanks for clarifying. I read that thread earlier today and was completely baffled.

Thanks for clarifying. I read that thread earlier today and was completely baffled.

Yeah. That thread, when I last read it, had entered into a not incorrect, but probably not necessary discussion on the inappropriate use of antibiotics, with the primary contributors clearly being actual physicians.

I didn't see how it evolved before it was pruned, and I'd probably have a hard time moderating something like that (and in another life, on another board, I do), but that's probably a conversation that isn't going to go well in this sort of environment...

AND, I'm all in favor of a kinder, gentler Cruise Critic in 2014! Here's to that as a goal!