Great Info From LauraS

My pet peeve? People who start a new thread simply saying that they have either booked a cruise, made a final payment on a cruise, have xx days to go before their cruise or something like that without any other information included. If they have posted a "just got back" message with a review then that is a different story, but to create a new post just to announce to the world that they have made a reservation is wasted bandwidth.

But imagine if everyone posted one of these messages three times before taking a cruise? The board would be basically loaded with these threads and have no useful information.

Now before anyone says, no I am not envious of anyone or the like. I just would like the signal to noise ratio to be better.

My pet peeve? People who start a new thread simply saying that they have either booked a cruise, made a final payment on a cruise, have xx days to go before their cruise or something like that without any other information included. If they have posted a "just got back" message with a review then that is a different story, but to create a new post just to announce to the world that they have made a reservation is wasted bandwidth.

But imagine if everyone posted one of these messages three times before taking a cruise? The board would be basically loaded with these threads and have no useful information.

Now before anyone says, no I am not envious of anyone or the like. I just would like the signal to noise ratio to be better.

My thoughts exactly. We all know they're excited, but it's not something we need to hear here

Agree! (Where is that "like" button;))

There are a few folks who though they cruise frequently, bully any new poster for asking questions and it's just awful...I do as Laura suggests and don't take the "bait", ignore them, and kill the OP with kindness, so they realize that this is a helpful place!! One of the things DH and I have been searching for as frequent cruisers is a more "balanced" cruising experience. We LOVE cruising with noobs, seeing their excitement and enthusiasm makes us remember what we love about cruising. It's the same here on CC, I like a mix!:D

Agree! (Where is that "like" button;))

There are a few folks who though they cruise frequently, bully any new poster for asking questions and it's just awful...I do as Laura suggests and don't take the "bait", ignore them, and kill the OP with kindness, so they realize that this is a helpful place!! One of the things DH and I have been searching for as frequent cruisers is a more "balanced" cruising experience. We LOVE cruising with noobs, seeing their excitement and enthusiasm makes us remember what we love about cruising. It's the same here on CC, I like a mix!:D

Agree completely! I don't have thousands of posts, but have been here for awhile now. Noobs are what makes it fun!

I honestly have no issue with people asking questions that have probably been answered a hundred times before because as we all know, things change. For example (and I am not trying to start a smoking argument here!), you used to be able to smoke on your balcony before the beginning of this year. So any questions about that topic are basically invalid now.

Furthermore someone who is new might not know how to work the search function.

But I do have an issue with people attacking those who ask a simple question and get attacked from all sides. Some examples are family members who have difficulties of various physical and mental types, people who pack differently than you do, people who vacation differently than you do, etc. We are all different, therefore we all experience the world differently.

But the two things that bother me are:

1) Something has never happened to me, therefore how could it happen to you?

2) I have always been able to do something, therefore everybody can do that something.

Hooray! I hope number 8 applies to bad mouthing crew members, too. I respect that some have had a not great experience with one from time to time but most people haven't and it's not fair to name names of someone working on board who had a bad day.

It will be great if habitual rule breakers are reigned it.

Gina

Edited by mommabean

Hooray! I hope number 8 applies to bad mouthing crew members, too. I respect that some have had a not great experience with one from time to time but most people haven't and it's not fair to name names of someone working on board who had a bad day.

It will be great if habitual rule breakers are reigned it.

Gina

ImageUploadedByForums1389016004.070704.jpg.20ac20ec2ebf4b7bb88596aca1a51545.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I am really happy that LauraS posted this. I get really tired of the jerks and bullies. The vast majority on CC are extremely helpful, but it only takes a handful of nasty people to turn off newbies and lurkers. Heck, it even turns off some veterans.

The "do a search" comments are my biggest pet peeve. If you are not going to help the OP, then just don't post a comment.

Lisa :)

I am really happy that LauraS posted this. I get really tired of the jerks and bullies. The vast majority on CC are extremely helpful, but it only takes a handful of nasty people to turn off newbies and lurkers. Heck, it even turns off some veterans.

The "do a search" comments are my biggest pet peeve. If you are not going to help the OP, then just don't post a comment.

Absolutely - to all of this.

The problem on internet forums is a reflection upon society as a whole. People have no manners.

CC has many people who truly want to help other members get the most out of their cruise experience, but there are also a lot of members that seem to get joy out of bullying or belittling some less experienced cruiser.

I think we need to publicly call them out and also report them to the CC admins.

I so agree. I am so discouraged when people take the whole tone into criticisms of the people expressing views, even to the point of bullying. The other day I wrote a thread trying to raise another pov with regard to how hard cruise staff works, and how blessed we are to take these cruises. I was blasted every which way but Sunday. Feel free to express opinions, but try to be constructive and please don't demean others.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

It is a good post. I would be very happy if some of these guidelines were enforced. There is so much good info on here, and it deteriorates too quickly too often.

It's unfortunate. I've seen several threads deleted in whole due to a couple individuals being rude and belligerent. All the good info disappears all because a few find themselves soooooooo hlarious that they cannot help but get it all over everyone else.

This same (or very similar) announcement was made last year at this time. It's great and I applaud LauraS and CC for this announcement. I only hope that this year, they actually stick to it. Some users really need to be scrutinized for their habit of being rude.

It all looks and sounds good on paper but it if it all goes unenforced, its really not worth the paper its written on.

Much like many of RCI's "rules" :)

The problem with most message forums is the anonymity factor gives people "courage" to say things they would NEVER say to someones face. Keyboard commandos are here to stay Im afraid.

IMHO, it's really not about not wanting to help someone when a new thread is started and the first line in the post is "I would have done a search, but this is quicker". The "Search This Thread" function can be your friend if you know how to use it and want to take the time to use it.

Just for chuckles and grins I did a search on 4 topics and found the following....

Tipping/Gratuities -- 20 pages

Jeans in MDR -- 19 pages

Alcohol -- 19 pages

Insurance -- 20 pages

IMHO, it's really not about not wanting to help someone when a new thread is started and the first line in the post is "I would have done a search, but this is quicker". The "Search This Thread" function can be your friend if you know how to use it and want to take the time to use it.

Just for chuckles and grins I did a search on 4 topics and found the following....

Tipping/Gratuities -- 20 pages

Jeans in MDR -- 19 pages

Alcohol -- 19 pages

Insurance -- 20 pages

You missed chair hogs - 20 pages ;)

The problem on internet forums is a reflection upon society as a whole. People have no manners.

CC has many people who truly want to help other members get the most out of their cruise experience, but there are also a lot of members that seem to get joy out of bullying or belittling some less experienced cruiser.

I think we need to publicly call them out and also report them to the CC admins.

This. I actually feel sorry for the jerks and bullies who twist every innocent comment into something negative or someone's request for help as an opportunity to belittle. It must be exhausting.

This same (or very similar) announcement was made last year at this time. It's great and I applaud LauraS and CC for this announcement. I only hope that this year, they actually stick to it. Some users really need to be scrutinized for their habit of being rude.

I really liked it when she did that last year. Seems like the Mods get worn out policing the problem makers over time.

The mods can't be everywhere either, so we really need to keep the boards in check by using the red triangle, when needed.

My pet peeve...posters that post everywhere with a sentence 6 words or less, offering nothing to the discussion.

The mods can't be everywhere either, so we really need to keep the boards in check by using the red triangle, when needed.

My pet peeve...posters that post everywhere with a sentence 6 words or less, offering nothing to the discussion.

Agreed. Speaking as a moderator, we only have two eyes. It's impossible to read every thread. It's the members of the Cruise Critic community that police the forums by reporting rude posts, or posts that violate the Community Guidelines. If you see a questionable post, don't hesitate to click on the red triangle and file a report.