Ports

When researching ports pre-cruise, what do you most often look for? (Choose up to 5.)  

383 members have voted

1. 1. When researching ports pre-cruise, what do you most often look for? (Choose up to 5.)

• Photos
    • Factoids (language spoken, currency used, what the port is known for, etc.)
    • Things to do
    • Weather
    • Maps
    • Places to eat
    • Local hotels
    • Other relevant info (other ports in the region, links to visitors bureaus, etc.)
    • Something else (Please post it below.)

If it's a port that I've never been to before, I'll check it on the satellite view on Google maps. I then also click on the 'street view' (little man icon) and check out the area right around the pier or any specific location I want to see (though this feature is not available in all locations). When it is available, it gives me an excellent feel for what the place is going to be like. You can also do a 'search nearby' for restaurants, car rental, etc. to see what's in the area. Unless we have an organized tour planned, I print out a map of the area immediately around the pier, as the ship's maps are usually pretty useless.

I have checked general travel info sites for the what count as the best sights to see and perhaps those of special interest to me. For instance, I like parrots and a good collection of them would not make the common lists. Your thing may be vinyl records.

I then check if the excursions offered thru the ship get to what I want. If something of special interest to me draws me away, I will find a way to it. Usually, there is more to see in one day than what I can get to so have to make some hard choice. That is the worst part.

It depends. If it's in Europe, I usually look to Rick Steve's and the CC ports of call forums for some general info. I look for both the major tourist attractions as well as hidden gems and go from there.

Our next cruise is to Tahiti and I've asked a lot of questions in the forum for our cruise line and gotten some very helpful (and some not quite so) advice from people who have been there before. Two other posters in particular seem to have a lot of the same tastes and interests as my husband and I, and they have been a wealth of info that I feel I can count on.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

My OH researched the Norwegian ports with the "little man" icon so much that I told him there was no point in going- he'd seen everything already! :D

I google a port for months. I gotta. I am stuck in the cold of winter. I read and find photos by others. It is not the same as going but does mean I can walk the sights for details. There are always 'wow' moments to be had. Granted, it is my style and need not be for all.

Every Port is treated the same:

What they are known for is researched.

What's a unique item, place or food.

What is Local food and where to get it.

Museum

Culture and people.

We avoid ziplines, beaches, atvs, bars and shops.

Hi guys,

I'm just curious what you all look for when researching ports pre-cruise. What sort of information do you like to see? What's most helpful to you? If you'd care to take my poll, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

closest beaches with chair rentals,food restrooms and taxi to get back to the ship,to just relax

If it's Europe, I'll go online to chk things that we must do....I really don't care where the ship goes in the Caribbean, since we've been there so many times....usually don't get off the ship unless there's a favorite restaurant, etc...

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...