Booking Question

Cruzin with BQ & CQ

Hi All! My DW and I have always wanted to do the partial transit of the Panama Canal. We both still work, so the problem has always been being able to get enough time off to make it happen. This year, 2014, there is a cruise scheduled to leave 11/26/14 which is the day before Thanksgiving. Because Thursday and Friday are holidays for us both, we can make this work by only taking one week of vacation.

When I spotted this opportunity in August of 2013, I monitored the pricing for the same cruise departing over Thanksgiving of 2013. The pricing on a Mini Suite was as low as $1199 PP less than 6 weeks prior to departure. Given where we live, no air flights, do you think it would be wise to wait until the last minute to book this itinerary, or was last year a fluke?

While we would like to do this itinerary, if we were unable to do so due to waiting, we would just book something else. Somehow I think it may be worth the gamble because the current 2014 quote on this cruise is $1999 PP. Thanks to all for your help!!:)

Hi All! My DW and I have always wanted to do the partial transit of the Panama Canal. We both still work, so the problem has always been being able to get enough time off to make it happen. This year, 2014, there is a cruise scheduled to leave 11/26/14 which is the day before Thanksgiving. Because Thursday and Friday are holidays for us both, we can make this work by only taking one week of vacation.

When I spotted this opportunity in August of 2013, I monitored the pricing for the same cruise departing over Thanksgiving of 2013. The pricing on a Mini Suite was as low as $1199 PP less than 6 weeks prior to departure. Given where we live, no air flights, do you think it would be wise to wait until the last minute to book this itinerary, or was last year a fluke?

While we would like to do this itinerary, if we were unable to do so due to waiting, we would just book something else. Somehow I think it may be worth the gamble because the current 2014 quote on this cruise is $1999 PP. Thanks to all for your help!!:)

Book well in advance if you don't want the worst cabin on the ship. You can always book now and then watch for price drops. We have a little 4-day cruise booked for May 2014. We booked it well in advance and then, when there was a price drop, we cancelled and re-booked for a saving of $660.

We used to book way out.

Now I see what you see, great fares close to sailing.

If I did not have to book air I would be in trouble because I would be cruising alot more. :D

There are some cruises that sell out completley but if you have the luxury of waiting then get on the standby email list from Princess.

They send out great deals coming up maybe 2-3 weeks out.

This combined with watching the pricing online for the cruise that you want you can get some really good deals.

Throughout the years I've seen good prices for cruises between Thanksgiving Day & Christmas time which is a slow time for any travel. Like you, I checked the 2013 cruises from LA without any flying; unlike you we're retired & don't need time off from work. So for us waiting for a good deal closer to sailing is an option but maybe not a good idea for those who work.

One thing to consider is that most Princess "sales" come with a nonrefundable nontransferable deposit. My experience has been that I was not able to get future price reductions without losing my deposit. Some have posted having this restriction waived to get a lower price. All my TA could get Princess to do was to give us an upgraded cabin equivalent to the price we paid.

This was a couple of years ago but I still see the NR-NT restriction on "sales" which could affect getting future price reductions without losing your deposit by canceling & rebooking a cruise. I use a $100 FCC deposit so it may be cost effective for me but not for someone with a full deposit.

Do you feel lucky?

We booked NCL Star 6 weeks before sailing on Dec 8 '13, got a midship balcony on Deck 9 for half what it was going for one month later! They say that the holidays are prime sailing dates but it did not appear so for this itinerary.

On the other hand, the only cabins available COULD HAVE been in the innards of the ship, under the pool, or over the theater -- we were VERY LUCKY. But one thing is, you actually don't have to make the decision right now -- you can watch the ship, doing dummy bookings every few days, and see how the cabins are filling.