Opinions on the MUTS

Buck Turgidson

I am soon to sail on my first Princess cruise and my first cruise with a big screen TV in the pool area. What are your thoughts? A welcome addition ? intrusive?

I personally love being able to sit in the sun and watch a movie or concert while tanning. On most ships there is the option of another pool area sit at if this is not your cup of tea. A win win for all!

We never hang around a pool while on a cruise so we've never experienced MUTS during the day. The pools are too small anyway and why would anyone want to sit only inches away from strangers and their children (unless you have children and must be there with them,) or conversations you do not want to be involved in when there are so many other very quite places on the ship to sit with your book or ipod or just napping. I've never experienced a shortage of quiet spots on a Princess ship. The Grand class of Princess ships also have that beautiful aft pool area that is quiet and adults only.

I agree. There are so many other quiet places to spend your time (hello balcony?, adult pool?) that I don't know it bothers so many people during the day.

When we were on the Crown in January they showed the film Splash during the day. Of course we've seen it, but walking by the pool we stopped to watch and ended up spending the afternoon:)

I personally love being able to sit in the sun and watch a movie or concert while tanning. On most ships there is the option of another pool area sit at if this is not your cup of tea. A win win for all!

On many ships, the "other" pool is an indoor pool and on Royal and Regal, the "other" pool is for adults only. So people wanting to be out in the open air, or families who don't want their kids staring at video entertainment while on vacation don't get the "win-win" to which you refer.

I enjoy MUTS at night. IMO, the problem during the day isn't its existence, but its programming. I enjoyed it when they played the NBA finals (which I believe was during the afternoon in Alaska), but could do without the aging rock star concerts. For scenic itineraries, it might be neat if they broadcast a speaker pointing out the scenery, but I suppose that could get annoying just as anything else (I can read to music, but not so much to spoken word).

That's why it's nice that most ships have two pools. If you don't want to listen to MUTS, just go to the other pool.

Exactly. That's what I do. If I want to watch what's on MUTS (got totally sucked in to Casablanca one day :) ) then I can watch (and enjoy the milk and cookies in the afternoon too!). If I want to sit quietly and read I can go to the other pool.

The only place I found MUTS to be horribly intrusive was when I was hanging out with my son in the smoking area on Star Princess. (Bleh - smoking.) The smoking area was between the two pools and MUTS made a kind of "sound tunnel" through that area that was really loud and obnoxious. As a non-smoker (quit 25 years ago) I didn't really have a problem with it. :eek:

That's why it's nice that most ships have two pools. If you don't want to listen to MUTS, just go to the other pool.

Why not stay true to MUTS and make it under the Stars? A Completely Escape should be from the mother of all annoyance, a big screen TV. I remember MUTS went to MADD- Movies All Darn Day.

Please tell me that MUTS shows movies that are currently in theaters!

I remember going to see Toy Story 2 on a Disney ship the night it opened in the US, kind of cool.

Edited by HUNKY

I'm not a great fan of MUTS. We had a mid-ships balcony cabin on Caribe Deck on the Sapphire, and the sound could sometimes be heard when we were out on our balcony.

On the final night of our Alaska cruise we were having a nice get together in the midships area, out of the wind but still outside, when a pod of whales was sighted, and the Captain and Naturalist were giving us commentary.

We couldn't hear a word that was said because of the volume of MUTS. I looked around at both decks where the screen was visible from, and the whole area was empty as people were looking outboard at the wildlife. When I asked a crew member if the volume could be turned down he said that only the Cruise Director could do that.

Perhaps they could publish the schedule of when movies, etc. will be playing but also publish when the decks will be "MUTS-free" for those who do not want to have the intrusion.

Please tell me that MUTS shows movies that are currently in theaters!

I remember going to see Toy Story 2 on a Disney ship the night it opened in the US, kind of cool.

They are definitely not current movies, more in the six-month or so range. On our recent December cruise we saw movies that had come out mostly in the spring or summer. It was fine with us because we had not gone to most of those movies when they were new.

Why not stay true to MUTS and make it under the Stars? A Completely Escape should be from the mother of all annoyance, a big screen TV. I remember MUTS went to MADD- Movies All Darn Day.

Last time I checked Sol was a star...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I love MUTS. I don't watch it much during the day, but it doesn't bother me when I'm in the area during the day. If anything, I wish there were more good movies than all the sports events. I tend to cruise during football season and don't like that there are sometimes more sports than movies. I've never had trouble finding a chair. Some ships are better than other of amenities. Some ships just have popcorn and sell candy. You can get your own ice cream, pizza, etc. On some ships, they pass out milk and cookies; pizza; ice cream...and make it all more fun. If I want quiet I can always find some other quiet spot to sit and read.

I didn't like how they played videos of concerts which weren't cool even when they were recorded in the 1980s (Barry Manilow, I'm looking at you!). If there is a good film in in the afternoon it can be fun to sit out there, under a little shade, and wait for the milk and cookies trolley to come by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or you can go around with a little bag and collect a shoe here and a book there.:D

And my last cruise' date=' I decided to get a movie in (or most of it) before the afternoon hula class started. There was a chair in a shady spot that had a blouse and a book on it. I asked those in chairs next to that chair if there's been anyone sitting there in the last half hour (which is the time limit on the sign on the sun deck), and everyone shrugged and said they've been there for longer than that and didn't see who left the stuff. So I removed the items and placed on a little table nearby, and told the others, "You didn't see that." They laughed. Maybe an hour later, a woman showed up and quietly took the items. Probably realized that she didn't get away with it and wasn't about to challenge me for the chair (and I certainly wasn't going to let her have the chair).

Maybe if more people didn't put up with this kind of behavior...[/quote']

We could rearrange all the shoes and books on different chairs for a game of "find your things". ;)

yeah...like the wake.

Great idea except that you are not allowed to throw things overboard. It would also be destroying someone else's property which would not be nice.

We could split the stuff between several of the men's rest rooms and also several of the women's rest rooms. That might make finding them interesting.

LOL!!

DON

Edited by donaldsc

I like MUTS, but I have only cruised to Alaska and it seems that the MUTS experience is somewhat different there. The best thing is that I've never seen a single football game... or any sporting event, for that matter! :D The volume never seems to be too loud, and in fact, has been too quiet to hear at times. Since the weather is cooler, there aren't as many people hanging out on the pool deck and it's easier to get a seat. One big exception - on our last sea day this past summer, it was sunny and warm, and they were showing Life of Pi. Not a chair to be had anywhere. Luckily, we've seen it before, so we opted to lay out in the sun elsewhere.

Night time movies in Alaska can be quite chilly. I've done it a couple of times, dressed warmly and with a few blankets. Daytime movies are preferable. Alaska ports have noise ordinances, so the only things they show while in port are old silent movies.

I do like MUTS... in Alaska... but I don't know if I'd feel the same about it on a warm weather cruise... or a cruise during football season.

Hi, we're going on our first cruise on the Crown Princess in June. We've a cabin on the Lido deck - are we likely to be disturbed by the noise from MUTS during the day? And will people use the pools in Alaska or will it be too cold?

I have used a pool and/or hot tub on every one of my 6 cruises to Alaska. When we took my teens a couple of years ago, they were in the pools every day. There is one covered pool, but we have also used the outdoor pools. Sometimes the outdoor ones are heated warmer than the indoor one.

Of course, we are from Seattle and are not wussies about cool weather or rain. ;)

Just returned from cruising on the Royal Princess and first time with MUTS. My husband and I found it very annoying. The sound is way too loud if you want peace. Thank God we had the retreat pool area. But then again, we had to get there very early in sea days as people would claim them by leaving their belongings on the chairs. I think the good times of cruising are over!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The part I dislike about MUTS is that they close the hot tubs about halfway through the movie. Several times I have enjoyed watching the beginning of the movie from the comfort of the warm hot tub, only to get kicked out when the hot tub closes for their nightly cleaning. I am one of the few though who really enjoys the nighttime hot tub, so I wished they remained open for the whole movie.

Hi, we're going on our first cruise on the Crown Princess in June. We've a cabin on the Lido deck - are we likely to be disturbed by the noise from MUTS during the day? And will people use the pools in Alaska or will it be too cold?

Many of the Princess ships (aside from the Crown) that sailed that itinerary have a pool under a retractable roof (which probably won't be opened unless it's really sunny for a few days).

I have not been on the Crown, but we sailed on the Golden this December in a Lido deck balcony and did not notice any noise from MUTS. It was a convenient location, and quiet.

Use of pools will depend on the weather--some days in Alaska are quite warm-- and also if the pools are heated. But I would expect fewer people in the pools than normal.

Just returned from cruising on the Royal Princess and first time with MUTS. My husband and I found it very annoying. The sound is way too loud if you want peace. Thank God we had the retreat pool area. But then again, we had to get there very early in sea days as people would claim them by leaving their belongings on the chairs. I think the good times of cruising are over!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So move their stuff. That is what I do.

DON