Dress Code question

bassmaster150

I cannot seem to find this on the Princess website, so I will ask it here:

On nights other than formal night:

Can I wear a nice pair of (non frayed, no holes, etc) jeans in the following:

1. Main dining room

2. Sabitini's

3. Steakhouse

It is not my intention to ruin anyone's dinner or anything like that, but we are from Texas, and a nice pair of jeans along with a nice button down shirt with collar are the norm for any when we visit an upscale steakhouse, etc.

Thanks

Yes, if you notice in my thread, that is what I posted.....however, the jeans part is specific to frayed jeans or ones that have holes in them. I simply asked if I had a pair of jeans that were not frayed, or did not have any holes in them, would they be ok......that is not addressed in the dress code.

1. Main dining room

2. Sabitini's

3. Steakhouse

It is not my intention to ruin anyone's dinner or anything like that, but we are from Texas, and a nice pair of jeans along with a nice button down shirt with collar are the norm for any when we visit an upscale steakhouse, etc.

Thanks

Yes, a nice pair of jeans is acceptable. Having cruised out of Texas several times, we've seen more than one person wearing them. You should have no problem. A lighter pair of khaki's might work better once you get to warm weather ports. We found the jeans worn by my wife were just too warm.

I've even seen a complete western wear outfit (cowboy boots, cotton cowboy shirt, bolo tie, Stetson, jacket, etc.) on formal night, where the whole ensemble was consistent with the wearer - a true western gentleman.

Have a great cruise!

Edited by Times Prince

On my last cruise, I did bring a real nifty pair of black skinny jeans which actually looked spectacular on me (yes, that surprised me too) and wore to a couple of smart casual dinners, paired with a dressy top. As it's a cooler cruise, I did bring a pair of regular jeans for the cool days, but would definitely change to something nicer for dinner. Hubby did the same -- he would change to slacks for any meal in the MDR.

We ate for the first time in a specialty dining room, in Sabatinis, and we did dress up for that, as it looked liked people at the other tables, including my teen and a friend of hers eating with her family at the same table. You could be a little out of place there in jeans, but most likely you won't be kept out.

Don't know about the steakhouse.

1. Main dining room

2. Sabitini's

3. Steakhouse

Thanks

As you know we in Texas and the west wear jeans to everything. If you sail out of Houston or even the west coast, there will be a lot of jean wearing pax all over the ship. We were on the Caribbean out of Houston and the jeans were the predominate pants of choice. On all my cruises it it is cold out I will have jeans on. I can put on a long sleeved shirt and blazer and I am dressed up. That is the way we do it down here.

Happy cruising.

Just got off the Caribbean Princess, which has a lot of passengers from Texas.

There were a lot of nice jeans worn on non formal nights. I mean the nicely fitted type of jeans with a nice shirt, not the baggy ill fitting type or work jeans, but dress jeans.

1. Main dining room

2. Sabitini's

3. Steakhouse

Thanks

Dress as you please. Most people seemed to on my recent Princess cruise. Jeans with holes, thongs (flip flops) and even a singlet (wifebeater) were seen on formal nights.

It was a disturbing juxtaposition between well dressed passengers and those who looked like they were dressed to wash their cars or do some gardening.

About half the passengers dressed according to the official dress code. I was rather shocked and it did downplay the elegance of evenings on board.

1. Main dining room

2. Sabitini's

3. Steakhouse

Thanks

Yes you can. People even did so on our Transatlantic Cruise. We also saw it in Alaska.

Dress as you please. Most people seemed to on my recent Princess cruise. Jeans with holes, thongs (flip flops) and even a singlet (wifebeater) were seen on formal nights.

It was a disturbing juxtaposition between well dressed passengers and those who looked like they were dressed to wash their cars or do some gardening.

About half the passengers dressed according to the official dress code. I was rather shocked and it did downplay the elegance of evenings on board.

Please note that we would NEVER do this. I believe that there are very tasteful ways to dress with jeans, and as you have stated above, very distasteful ways as well.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and clarity.

1. Main dining room

2. Sabitini's

3. Steakhouse

Thanks

Short sweet and simple - YES you can.

... but we are from Texas, and a nice pair of jeans along with a nice button down shirt with collar are the norm for any when we visit an upscale steakhouse, etc.

Thanks

As stated, yes you can. But this raises an interesting question. Does one follow the dress code from where you're from, or where you are? On the ship, you'll have no problem. But I can think of lots of other circumstances where: "But we're from Texas. This is what we wear there" wouldn't fly. And vice versa. I can imagine a person from Park Avenue looking pretty silly in tux when he walks in to a steakhouse in Ft. Worth.

As stated, yes you can. But this raises an interesting question. Does one follow the dress code from where you're from, or where you are? On the ship, you'll have no problem. But I can think of lots of other circumstances where: "But we're from Texas. This is what we wear there" wouldn't fly. And vice versa. I can imagine a person from Park Avenue looking pretty silly in tux when he walks in to a steakhouse in Ft. Worth.

Follow the norms of where you're going, not where you're from.

Honestly, I did not even see this on Carnival. I am mentioning Carnival because of the more casual dress code and it was my last cruise. Few times I read something and think I really don't beleive, since I try to take things at face value.

What ship and sailing?

Pauline

Edited by Blk_Amish

Yes, if you notice in my thread, that is what I posted.....however, the jeans part is specific to frayed jeans or ones that have holes in them. I simply asked if I had a pair of jeans that were not frayed, or did not have any holes in them, would they be ok......that is not addressed in the dress code.

Well, it is addressed in the dress code implicitly. If jeans weren't acceptable, period, there would be no reason to mention fraying or holes.

Just got off the Caribbean Princess, which has a lot of passengers from Texas.

There were a lot of nice jeans worn on non formal nights. I mean the nicely fitted type of jeans with a nice shirt, not the baggy ill fitting type or work jeans, but dress jeans.

We were recently on a FLL to Panama cruise and many people wore jeans on non-formal nights. I was surprised because I usually wear casual slacks but it seemed to be no problem at all for the MD's. Next time I am bringing my jeans. :)

BassMaster - just make sure your Skoal ring isn't too pronounced and you've removed all the fishing lures hooked in the belt loops. Well, maybe you can keep the really pretty lures as they could be considered "bling".

That's how it's done here in Arizona. :D

I haven't seen the above IN the MDR on any cruise's formal night. After dinner hour and in the buffet, you might see some of the more casual clothing. No rules about public areas of the ship.

In the "old days" of cruising, I remember that public areas too were covered by MDR dress codes. Of course too there was informal AND formal nights along with the casual. Made packing quite crazy as I recall.