Best advice/tip

Cruisin 4 Ever

Most cruises start with a Fun Day at Sea - do not let yourself or your family/children get sunburned. This will put a damper on your cruise from the very beginning.

Put your swimsuits and SUNSCREEN in your carry-on bag so you can hang out at the pool before, during, and after the sailaway party - way before your luggage even thinks about getting to your room :D

Edited by 2bthereagain

To generously tip your room steward and waiter at the main dining room on the first day. I have always received exemplary service and a willingness to go the extra mile by doing so.

Many who have been on several cruises do not this and get excellent service. I believe the key is that if you haven't removed the autotip, they know they'll get at least their share and possibly more. So treat your staff nicely and not like your personal servants (especially as they are serving other tables and cabins). In additional to any extra tips to your steward and waitstaff, you can also reward any crew member that goes beyond the call of duty by filling out whatever kind of "made a difference" cards your ship has.

Bring a power strip as outlets in the cabins are limited

Bring zip lock bags to take a couple small snacks on excursions

Bring a refillable water bottle since drink stations with filtered water are usually only located up near the buffet. (but use fill a cruise ship glass or two then pour into your bottle, never fill your bottle directly from the water fountain.)

Put a piece of paper with your name and cruise reservation number inside your suitcase in case the tag gets pulled off

I missed this one. In many ports, you are not allowed to remove food from the ships. But in some of those ports, you can take unopened factory-sealed snacks such as Power Bars. You can check out the various agricultural laws for each country you'll about to visit for more info. I've read that some countries such as Australia even forbid taking any kind of food of the ship. Usually there will be an announcement in the day's ship newsletter for each port about these laws. Some countries will take these very seriously for good reason (we in California understand the reasons all too well).

My own #1 piece of advice for someone planning their first cruise: unless you live a quick, easy drive from the embarkation port, plan to arrive at least a day ahead of your cruise. Even booking an early morning flight on the same day may not work, if your flight gets cancelled for weather, mechanical, or other reasons.

My #2 piece of advice (that others have mentioned too) is not to overly schedule your days on your cruise, whether sea or port days. Too many people obsess about trying to squeeze in an activity into every minute or book multiple excursions on the same day. Maybe that particular ship or itinerary enthalls you so much that you consider doing a repeat in the future rather than your usual vacation.

It's impossible to do all the scheduled activities while you are on your cruise. Pick the activities that you are comfortable with and enjoy them. On my first few cruises it was non stop action from morning till night. Now that I am in my mid fifties my energy levels are not what they used to be. I still have a great time with my family, but I have slowed down a bit. Sitting near the pool with a bottle of wine or a bucket of beer is what I call a great day.

My top suggestion is keep an open mind - we travel to learn, don't we? Don't be afraid of how people dress or act or talk, both in the ports and on board. Open your mind and your ears and listen and observe.

One of my most humbling moments on a cruise was when my daughter and I inserted ourselves in a hot tub, and our fellow boilers said they were religious missionaries in Haiti. I just wanted to escape, but my daughter followed up with questions that led to a fascinating discussion, with no prosletizing, about that unfortunate country.

As the novelist Henry James said, "Never think you know the last word on any human heart."

The best advice EVER was to fly in the day before the cruise. Our very first cruise was in 1995, and I had no idea. We flew in that day and... of course... we were delayed! Now, this was WAY before I had a cell phone, so as everyone is shuffling off figuring out what to do, I'm on the pay phone (there's ya a blast from the past) calling the cruise line and making sure we wouldn't get left!

We barely made it. They'd already done muster, but still let us on (again, this was a long time ago, I guess they wouldn't be able to do that now with security as it is). I still have NO idea how our luggage made it on the ship, but it did.

We were SO stressed that it took a while to calm down. Now, I get there the day before and we just wake up leisurely, grab a cab and let the adventure begin!

I always pack one of those Icy Hot or hot packs that you tape on in case I have a sore back, neck, etc. I have never had to use them but I wish I would have had one on one of my first cruises. We were on a shore excursion, walking to a waterfall and I tripped on the path. When I caught myself from falling, I wrenched my back a bit.

When we got back to the ship, I went to the spa and had a hot stone massage and that helped somewhat, but I feel I could have done more for myself with just the hot pack. Now I always throw one in when I travel. (Couldn't hurt! No pun intended!)

I always pack one of those Icy Hot or hot packs that you tape on in case I have a sore back, neck, etc. I have never had to use them but I wish I would have had one on one of my first cruises. We were on a shore excursion, walking to a waterfall and I tripped on the path. When I caught myself from falling, I wrenched my back a bit.

When we got back to the ship, I went to the spa and had a hot stone massage and that helped somewhat, but I feel I could have done more for myself with just the hot pack. Now I always throw one in when I travel. (Couldn't hurt! No pun intended!)

Now that's something I wouldn't have thought of. At home I would just hop in a tub of hot water and soak but can't do that in a shower. Think I'll add that to my packing list.