Making Pinnacle reservations on board

hedy7813

For us mere mortals who are not on the Explorer4 program or have Mariner status or any other special package....it is almost impossible to get reservations at the Pinnacle Grill. We just returned from a Eurodam cruise and experienced the reservation problem first hand.

We were unable to make reservations online and on phoning the HAL customer service we were told to make our reservations on board. I knew the drill and went right to customer service to make the reservation. We were able to get a 9PM for Sunday night (first night on board) and an 8:30PM for Saturday night (last night on board). All other nights were full. Maybe the ships need another excellent restaurant for mere mortals!

But....the food was excellent and the service was excellent!

For us mere mortals who are not on the Explorer4 program or have Mariner status or any other special package....it is almost impossible to get reservations at the Pinnacle Grill. We just returned from a Eurodam cruise and experienced the reservation problem first hand.

We were unable to make reservations online and on phoning the HAL customer service we were told to make our reservations on board. I knew the drill and went right to customer service to make the reservation. We were able to get a 9PM for Sunday night (first night on board) and an 8:30PM for Saturday night (last night on board). All other nights were full. Maybe the ships need another excellent restaurant for mere mortals!

I don't think this is an issue for mere mortals only :D

When we were on the Prinsendam, I had booked a couple of reservations and wanted to make more. I managed although not the time we would normally go, but in less than 3 days of the start of our 31 day cruise, the PG was completely sold out:D It just seems to depend upon the cruise and the passengers on board.

Why weren't you able to make reservations on line in advance? HAL doesn't have a policy of limiting those who are able to book on line, or a time frame in which they can, as some lines do. It's first come/first served.

Except for some special nights, such as Christmas, Valentine's Day, or when the Pinnacle is converted to Le Cirque, evenings are open for booking. They do fill up, though. I made my reservations for my 2014 cruises as soon as bookings opened.

We are Platinum with HAL (over 700 actual days), were in a Neptune Suite, have sailed Maasdam over 30 times and could not get a Pinnacle reservation one night.

We had prereserved for other night but wanted to add an additional dinner and could not.

Has nothing to do with 'mere mortals'. :D

We have seen times where they are booked as well but usually it is not a problem. Sometimes we wait to see the dinner menu which is usually available around lunch time. If nothing strikes our fancy we usually can still get in Pinnacle.

The main problem that I have encountered is that they understaff the PG. This was admitted to me by the restaurant manager on the NA. Looking around at a half empty restaurant and him turning folks away. He told me that they don't have enough servers to run a full restaurant. I encountered the same thing on the Eurodam as well. Very strange.

I made my reservations for my 2014 cruises as soon as bookings opened.

So Ruth, do you pay full-price up-front when you make your PG reservations from home and then get a 50% credit on your on-board account?

So Ruth, do you pay full-price up-front when you make your PG reservations from home and then get a 50% credit on your on-board account?

Yes, full credit for the first two dinners, and 50% credit for the rest.

I know I will have at least that much in on-board expenses anyway, since the HSC adds up fast, so there's no reason not to pay in advance.

Yes, full credit for the first two dinners, and 50% credit for the rest.

I know I will have at least that much in on-board expenses anyway, since the HSC adds up fast, so there's no reason not to pay in advance.

Exactly. That is how it works for us, too.

We have never had any difficulty getting the appropriate credits applied to our on board account.

I agree I boarded the Eurodam 12/29 to 1/12 I already made a few Pinnacle

reservations but wanted to make some more I went to the Neptune lounge and was told they were sold out for the whole cruise. I also had an Amex dinner the first night which I often change but could not and if I wanted to

use it I would have to eat at 5:30 not for me. I asked Ann the Pinnacle hostess what was going on and she did agree that the explorer 4 has caused some problems.

I have to admit I'm getting concerned when I read posts about the difficulties people are having getting Pinnacle reservations because of the Explore4 program.

Typically we eat at at Pinnacle most nights...and when I sail solo I eat there almost every night. But I rarely ever made reservations. I just showed up, usually around the same time every night so I think the Maitre D' just came to expect me.

After reading the past few posts, it sounds like that is no longer an option. Maybe I should do what you do, Ruth, and reserve in advance from home. I had avoided that in the past because of having to pay up-front...plus wanting to avoid the hassle (if there even is one) of having to get 50% credits on my on-board account.

Edited by Aruba

After reading the past few posts, it sounds like that is no longer an option. Maybe I should do what you do, Ruth, and reserve in advance from home. I had avoided that in the past because of having to pay up-front...plus wanting to avoid the hassle (if there even is one) of having to get 50% credits on my on-board account.

If I wanted to dine in the Pinnacle every night, I would reserve in advance and worry about getting the refund (never had a problem) on board.

In the past, I have had a fairly easy time as a single getting a last-minute reservation at a time I liked. But with Explore 4 taking up the seats, I wouldn't risk it if dining in the Pinnacle mattered.

I agree. I make at least a few reservations in advance but may add some once we board. At least I know we'll have a few dinners reserved. I don't mind paying in advance but do not understand why HAL cannot adjust their program to charge the correct amount. We have to log in in order to make reservations so the system should be able to apply appropriate discount.

I don't mind paying in advance but do not understand why HAL cannot adjust their program to charge the correct amount. We have to log in in order to make reservations so the system should be able to apply appropriate discount.

I couldn't agree more. Adjusting their computer program to charge the correct amount for 3-, 4-, and 5-star Mariners is probably VERY low on HAL's priority list though. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know how they will handle "double booking"? We booked 2 nights in the Pinnacle Grill online, and 1 night for Le Cirque and 1 night (sea day) in Canaletto. We also have the Explore 4 promotion so there is one additional night in the Pinnacle they will assign. Is it possible they could assign us the free night in the Pinnacle on a night we already have reservations?

DITTO - but my Mariner Status, And staying in a Neptune Suite, did not help me.

Talking with the Pinnacle staff, they didn't seem happy with the Explore program.

I did try to book online for a couple of months prior to my cruise (Just got off the Westerdam), but continually got a message saying they were not accepting online reservations, and I should book onboard. Tried booking within minutes of boarding, but could only get embarkation night.

Edited by gwesq