those always available items in the MDR

Camelia-

I know that there are choices on the menu that are always available but I'm curious as to whether there are items available that aren't mentioned as well. For instance, I really stay away from creamy dishes or sauces so do they have a red marinara sauce handy at all times that I could ask to be a substitute for the cream sauce? A vegetable soup to replace the cream soups? It's not such a huge issue that I need to ask for a special consideration and I normally just don't order anything with cream in the description but I'm just curious as to my options!

Many thanks,

Camelia

It really depends on the item and how it is prepared/plated. For example, soups are cooked hours in advance, so if you need something special there you need to pre-arrange. Pastas however are usually sauced to serve so it all depends on what they are making that night. Meats can vary based on if cooked in the sauce or sauced after. It never hurts to ask, the chefs will do reasonable requests where they can.

I know that there are choices on the menu that are always available but I'm curious as to whether there are items available that aren't mentioned as well. For instance, I really stay away from creamy dishes or sauces so do they have a red marinara sauce handy at all times that I could ask to be a substitute for the cream sauce? A vegetable soup to replace the cream soups? It's not such a huge issue that I need to ask for a special consideration and I normally just don't order anything with cream in the description but I'm just curious as to my options!

Many thanks,

Camelia

They have a pasta on the children's menu which has a marinara sauce every night, so I'm pretty sure that would not be a problem. The soup depends on what they are serving that evening. They usually have two soups, with one being a creamy one. I'm sure you will be fine.

If you have Traditional Dining, you can speak with your servers on a "day before" basis to see if anything can be done for the following day. And if you have Anytime Dining, you can ask to speak with the Head Waiter for that dining room and do the same thing. Can't make any promises, but they do aim to please. Also, keep in mind that the ship's galley is nothing like a typical kitchen at home, or even in a restaurant. Everything is "super-sized" for cooking in great volume. At a regular restaurant, a chef can whip out a 10 inch skillet and whip something up on the cooktop. In the galley, it is not as easy to find the space or time to do that. Take the galley tour sometime if you haven't already. Even for those who have spent half a lifetime in a kitchen, professional or private, the galley is a whole 'nuther world. But again, you can ask, and yes, they will work with you.

I often order menu items without sauces and find that the dish can be much better! It's far less salty and better for me. :) I also often pre-order items but sometimes, I order things that while they're not on the menu, can be easily prepared. An example is a salad with grilled chicken as my entree. Or, I'll order an entree-sized appetizer.

Basically ask your waiter the night before you want something different and you likely get it. I am very partial to Cream Brule' and ask for it every night before the next day. You can get lobster every night, but it will be the new smaller 4 oz tails that are now served. Maybe order 2! This is not really for anytime dinning as you will get a different waiter and table every time...YMMV

The children's menu is definitely a good option for "always available" items. You can get things like simple cut fresh fruit and they do have an alphabet (I'm assuming it's vegetable...could be chicken) soup on there. My kids aren't soup fans, so they've never tried it.

The children's menu is definitely a good option for "always available" items. You can get things like simple cut fresh fruit and they do have an alphabet (I'm assuming it's vegetable...could be chicken) soup on there. My kids aren't soup fans, so they've never tried it.

It is chicken broth soup with alphabet letters in it. - Available every night.

Here is an example of the children's menu: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=79028&highlight=menus I think it should still be current, they haven't changed it forever.

Edited by Coral

Many thanks,

Camelia

Perhaps you might contact Princess pre cruise re special diets. I am Coeliac - Gluten Free (you say Celiac,) I have notified them, eat at fixed traditional dining in the MDR and each night via the Head Waiter get the next nights menu to peruse and pick from. Works very well.

Other meals, I take my chances in the MDR/Horizon Court, I just ask.

Good luck.

Here is an example of the children's menu: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=79028&highlight=menus I think it should still be current, they haven't changed it forever.

Yeah, that was the menu they had on the Sapphire in November. Thanks!

Basically ask your waiter the night before you want something different and you likely get it.

The waiters rarely have the authority to put in a request for something to be prepared differently. You need to speak with your headwaiter.

I frequently ask for an appetizer size portion of entrees. I've never thought to do it the other way around.

And creme brulee was on the always available menu for dessert every night on our Ruby Princess cruises last month. I ordered it just once out of our eight nights. It's still wonderfully decadent.

Edited by geoherb

Awesome! It has a garden salad. I love a basic salad every night and the ones I have seen on the adult menu have not appealed to me. I'm so glad you gave that link.

On the other end of the spectrum, the volcano sundae with bananas sounds quite yummy too!

I never thought to request an appetizer version of an entree..they actually do that?? That would be wonderful since sometimes I dither between two interesting entrees but don't want to order both. After all..for me the aim is not only about eating..but also about tasting new things too!! And that's great about the soup..can I just ask the waiter that I'd like to order the soup from the children's menu and the rest from the regular menu?? In the past..whenever I've told them that I can't order a soup because they were all cream soups I've never had a waiter suggest ordering this from the children's menu!!

Thank you all so much for these great tips!!

Camelia

Awesome! It has a garden salad. I love a basic salad every night and the ones I have seen on the adult menu have not appealed to me. I'm so glad you gave that link.

On the other end of the spectrum, the volcano sundae with bananas sounds quite yummy too!

I forgot they had a regular salad. I will often ask for a spinach salad or just a regular salad (with or with out chicken) and they always accommodate. Don't be afraid to ask. The worst they can do is say no. At least on something easy like this, it is easy for them to do.

I never thought to request an appetizer version of an entree..they actually do that?? That would be wonderful since sometimes I dither between two interesting entrees but don't want to order both. After all..for me the aim is not only about eating..but also about tasting new things too!! And that's great about the soup..can I just ask the waiter that I'd like to order the soup from the children's menu and the rest from the regular menu?? In the past..whenever I've told them that I can't order a soup because they were all cream soups I've never had a waiter suggest ordering this from the children's menu!!

Thank you all so much for these great tips!!

Camelia

Absolutely. I often skip their appetizers and order an "appetizer" portion of the pasta. Great way to start a meal. You can do the same thing with just about anything on the menu....