Seabourn finalizes contract for new ship

Host Dan

SEABOURN FINALIZES CONTRACT WITH FINCANTIERI FOR NEW ULTRA-LUXURY SHIP

Fourth New All-Suite Vessel to Launch in 2016

SEATTLE, January 21, 2014 - Seabourn, the world's leading ultra-luxury cruise line, has announced the formal signing of a contract for construction of a new all-suite vessel, continuing the fleet modernization that the company began in 2009 with the launch of Seabourn Odyssey. This award winning new class of ship, which includes Seabourn Sojourn (2010) and Seabourn Quest (2011), has won acclaim from luxury cruisers, travel agents and journalists alike, one of whom proclaimed the design "...a game-changer for the ultra-luxury cruise segment."

The configuration of the new, 40,350 GRT vessel will be based on the highly popular Seabourn Odyssey-class ships, with one additional deck and new expanded public areas. The ship will be built by Fincantieri S.p.A. in Italy, with delivery scheduled for mid-2016. It is expected to carry just 604 guests, based on double occupancy of the all-suite lower berths. The design will maintain Seabourn's high ratio of space per guest and enable highly personalized service by nearly one staff member per guest on board. In addition, every suite will feature a private veranda.

"The new ship will continue the evolution that began with Seabourn's fleet expansion, adding modern design elements and innovations consistent with Seabourn's reputation for understated elegance," said Richard D. Meadows, Seabourn's president. "With its delivery, the most highly rated cruise line in the world will also offer travelers the newest fleet of ships in the luxury segment."

The vessel will replace capacity that will be reduced when the company's Seabourn Pride, Seabourn Spirit, and Seabourn Legend are transferred to new owners in April 2014, April 2015, and May 2015, respectively.

The contract with Fincantieri continues a longstanding relationship of more than two decades between Seabourn's parent company, Carnival Corporation & plc and the Italian shipbuilder.

Giuseppe Bono, Fincantieri's Chief executive officer, said: "An order from a new brand is always a source of great satisfaction. Today we can also add a note of pride, because the addition to our customer base of Seabourn, the Carnival Group's top-end cruise line, means that we are now building ships for all the operators in the ultra-luxury segment, a niche market that has seen strong investments in the past year". Bono continued: "This gratifying result, which gives us cause to be optimistic about the future, is the product of the cultural renewal being pursued with determination at every level of our business activity."

Thanks Dan,

I just got the news from my TA

Once the three smaller ships go that gives Seabourn capacity for 1954 guests.

That is only twenty guests fewer than they have now.

I understand that there will be two more dining options.

Can't wait to book

I am of two minds here. On the one hand I'm excited about what new things SB will offer on this ship. On the other hand I can't get my head around a SB ship of 40000 tons with over 600 passengers. Just doesn't seem like Seabourn.

I am of two minds here. On the one hand I'm excited about what new things SB will offer on this ship. On the other hand I can't get my head around a SB ship of 40000 tons with over 600 passengers. Just doesn't seem like Seabourn.

Henry I know what you mean but it is at least a step,in what direction we do not know yet.

I am thinking the same, Wripro. Not exactly a small ship cruise line and certainly no longer the Yachts of Seabourn. Heck, even Princess has a pair of 680 passenger ships. It is a fairly crowded segment. We are taking one of the small Princess ships to Alaska. Would rather go Seabourn but they choose not to sail Alaska at the moment. Still, the new larger ship is probably good for the long term future of Seabourn.

I have been critical of Seabourn management for some time, as they most likely made a decision

many years ago to sell the triplets, and only complete routine maintenance.

We have only sailed once on the larger ships and as we enjoy pre-dinner entertainment felt

the solo singer/guitarist in the club a poor option. On that cruise we only danced once or twice.

Not all Seabourn guests place entertainment as a priority.

But we have meet many first time guests who would not sail again on Seabourn,

because of the entertainment, some referred to sea days as boring.

Lets hope on the new Seabourn ship there is more entertainment options.

Because of the reduced capacity in 2015 , fares are most likely to be increased.

2016 will be interesting as Regency will have a new 700 passenger ship.

The new CEO of Crystal announced she would like to increase the number of ships from 2 to 10 in the next decade.

We have just booked our first Crystal cruise for 2015 for a price of under $300 per/day.

Also Crystal has just announced a major upgrade to internet access (60 minutes per/day free)

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/10552.html

They have just completed refurbishing public areas and restaurants on their two ships.

I am not sure about what you say, the pre dinner singer guitarist I find very popular but that is why there are other cruise line options. If Seabourn management did not make decisions well in advance it would be classed as poor management as their industry does have long lead times to implement new ships. If one line does not suit you and you personally prefer another then that is who you will book with. Seabourne's current formulae suits many people, I have not heard any new client say that they won't sail with Seabourn solely because of the entertainment, they may loose more clients than they gain if they change it. It is all about personal preferences. There is no perfect cruise line just ones who we find generally more to our taste than others.

Frankly, I couldn't care less about entertainment. I rarely go to the shows. What I love about the smaller ships on SB is that the passengers usually know how to amuse themselves with conversation. I'd much rather share a cognac in the bar after dinner with interesting fellow passengers than watch another Broadway tribute.

Frankly, I couldn't care less about entertainment. I rarely go to the shows. What I love about the smaller ships on SB is that the passengers usually know how to amuse themselves with conversation. I'd much rather share a cognac in the bar after dinner with interesting fellow passengers than watch another Broadway tribute.

I find myself sharing Henry's view on this, we have tried all 3 of the new ships and still come back to the triplets so the new 600+ passenger ship will not be on our list of things to do but maybe that is what Seabourn want a new type of passenger that does not know what Seabourn really was about. We have always made our own entertainment and rarely go to the shows, that is not why we have chosen Seabourn for the last 14 years, the crew are what make the small ships special and they just cannot achieve the same level of service on larger ships. Sad for us but probably wonderful for the new and upcoming cruisers. Not sure what we will do after 2015 but maybe all the places we have wanted to visit that cruise ships don't go will finally get a look in.

I find myself sharing Henry's view on this, we have tried all 3 of the new ships and still come back to the triplets so the new 600+ passenger ship will not be on our list of things to do but maybe that is what Seabourn want a new type of passenger that does not know what Seabourn really was about. We have always made our own entertainment and rarely go to the shows, that is not why we have chosen Seabourn for the last 14 years, the crew are what make the small ships special and they just cannot achieve the same level of service on larger ships. Sad for us but probably wonderful for the new and upcoming cruisers. Not sure what we will do after 2015 but maybe all the places we have wanted to visit that cruise ships don't go will finally get a look in.

We also like the small ships but I was pleasantly surprised when we went on the larger ship....Odyssey....as to how quickly the crew learnt our names and learnt our preferred drinks. But we do talk to the crew quite a bit. I also found the passengers we met on the ship very worldly and well travelled and enjoyed many conversations with them.

I have to admit the only thing I was disappointed in was the ability to dance as they tended to keep the guitarist playing too long in the club so it was late before we could dance. People we met on the cruise who had sailed the bigger ships many times told us this hadn't been the case previously, so I had hoped this was a quirk of the Cruise Director. If it isn't we will be giving Seabourn more feedback.

We are sailing with the small ships this year but will happily sail on the bigger ones, and will even try the new one when it comes out.........even though we would prefer less then 500 pax.

Well said Henry ~most of 'we old Seabournites do not sail for ship entertainment. We simply make our own:p Before dinner cocktails in the Club or we meet in the Observation Lounge (pre arranged canapes) ~After dinner we have our nightcaps at the Sky Bar or again in the Observation Lounge. I always enjoy sharing the days fun happenings with my Sailmates and no loud music! At times the music is SO loud in the Club 'ya can't even think much less visit......

Martita B

We tried the new ships with some trepidation, and still prefer the observation lounge and the show lounge in the small ones, but have to say that the main improvement to my mind is the Colonnade, so much quieter (carpets in the eating area) and spacious than the verandah cafe, plus more space outdoors, and the chance to have dinner there without needing to book. The patio grill area is also pleasant to sit at to chat with people outside meal times.

My main gripe applies to all the ships - why must we be subjected to loud music in the Club before dinner, when we want to meet and talk over a cocktail? There are some lovely talented quiet duos around, but also some absolutely awful singer/guitarists. Music for dancing after dinner is fine - but there should be one area to have a drink and chat in a quiet atmosphere at all times.

I am a first time cruiser. We loved our Seabourn experience and the only blot on the copy book was the loud music.

I am amazed as how often it is being commented on in this CC forum.

We had it 'turned down' at the Sky Bar when we filled in our comment form on day three which went to the Hotel Manager and not the Cruise Director. Having dinner at his table a day later he asked us to share our grumble with the CD -as it was a view he sympathised with.

When I aired this view on this forum shortly after our return someone pointed out that the Club Lounges often had glassed off areas so people could escape the noise. On the Spirit most of the glass was slid open, but why spend money building the partition when all that is needed is to ask the musicians to play more quietly?

Like others posting above our idea of 'entertainment' is sitting with old and new friends and having a chat. On the Spirit that was nye on impossible in the Club after dinner.

Am I missing a point? Is there no way we can persuade Seabourn's musicians that volume is not a measure of quality or appeal?

Tony

I am a first time cruiser. We loved our Seabourn experience and the only blot on the copy book was the loud music.

I am amazed as how often it is being commented on in this CC forum.

We had it 'turned down' at the Sky Bar when we filled in our comment form on day three which went to the Hotel Manager and not the Cruise Director. Having dinner at his table a day later he asked us to share our grumble with the CD -as it was a view he sympathised with.

When I aired this view on this forum shortly after our return someone pointed out that the Club Lounges often had glassed off areas so people could escape the noise. On the Spirit most of the glass was slid open, but why spend money building the partition when all that is needed is to ask the musicians to play more quietly?

Like others posting above our idea of 'entertainment' is sitting with old and new friends and having a chat. On the Spirit that was nye on impossible in the Club after dinner.

Am I missing a point? Is there no way we can persuade Seabourn's musicians that volume is not a measure of quality or appeal?

Tony

On the larger ships you will be pleased to know they have the Observation Lounge on Deck 10 which has gentle music so you can chat with friends and leave the Club for those who wish to dance after dinner.

I am thinking the same, Wripro. Not exactly a small ship cruise line and certainly no longer the Yachts of Seabourn. Heck, even Princess has a pair of 680 passenger ships. It is a fairly crowded segment. We are taking one of the small Princess ships to Alaska. Would rather go Seabourn but they choose not to sail Alaska at the moment. Still, the new larger ship is probably good for the long term future of Seabourn.

Not sure if you'll like Princess' small ships. No anytime dining (fixed early/late with same people each night). Food quality will definitely not be as good! I would think Regent's Navigator would be a better match (490 pax), luxury line.

Not sure if you'll like Princess' small ships. No anytime dining (fixed early/late with same people each night). Food quality will definitely not be as good! I would think Regent's Navigator would be a better match (490 pax), luxury line.

No doubt about the food. We went on a Princess California Coastal in an aft Suite for a quick getaway from PHX last fall and had a nice time. The suite was huge (after SeaDream) with a large private veranda and the suite perks were nicely done. The food can best be described as good banquet food. Nothing wrong with it but nothing notable either. Mostly doing it for the very large aft suite on the Pacific and for the itinerary and shore excursions. I used to run a ship up there in the late 80s so know the towns and the waterways but am looking forward to having someone else drive the boat.:eek::D:D Oh yeah, that and the fact that even in the largest suite, the tariff is approximately half of SeaDream in the Caribbean.:eek:

We also like the small ships but I was pleasantly surprised when we went on the larger ship....Odyssey....as to how quickly the crew learnt our names and learnt our preferred drinks. But we do talk to the crew quite a bit. I also found the passengers we met on the ship very worldly and well travelled and enjoyed many conversations with them.

I have to admit the only thing I was disappointed in was the ability to dance as they tended to keep the guitarist playing too long in the club so it was late before we could dance. People we met on the cruise who had sailed the bigger ships many times told us this hadn't been the case previously, so I had hoped this was a quirk of the Cruise Director. If it isn't we will be giving Seabourn more feedback.

We are sailing with the small ships this year but will happily sail on the bigger ones, and will even try the new one when it comes out.........even though we would prefer less then 500 pax.

We were on the Odyssey in December and are dancers....we were so disappointed in the options to dance before and after dinner. Somehow a guitarist isn't what we expected...and the ship's band was so over whelmed by other obligations that they usually didn't start to play for dancing until the show was over, around 10:45. We have sailed on both the Pride and Legend where there was a combo playing for dancing before and after dinner.....no combo on the Odyssey. We are booked on the Legend in December of 2014. Hopefully, there will be improved options for those who like to dance. If not, then I guess we will have to look at Silversea and Regent, who do offer better dancing venues....would be a shame....we do prefer Seabourn. (Did comment on the lack of music for dancing in my online critique.)

The old 600 pax was profitable in the 70s and 80s.

What we don't know from the release is whether the dining room can accommodate all at the same time (open seating) and what other entertainment venues there might be to accommodate passengers.

Forget the entertainment aspect.

Coming to Seabourn from larger ships with their massive entertainment ordnance I had written off the cruise director and his or her team. In the event I was pleasantly surprised to find I could enjoy both entertainment and scintillating conversation.

On the dance front we enjoyed virtually one on one tuition and there were a number of pre dinner events which featured the musicians. When dancing after dinner the entertainment team did a sterling job of ensuring any one who wanted to take to the dance floor was not alone. An extremely inclusive atmosphere.

The easy option would be to have a band who play a bit of music pre dinner a bit afterwards and leave it at that. The odd singer, preferably who doubles as cruise director then once or twice a visiting act. Seabourn go much further and I think punch well above their weight given passenger numbers. Certainly on Sojourn over Christmas and the New Year they did.

As has been said we all like different things in life so to some extent the company is damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Henry :)

Edited by Able Seaman H

mariner,

I can only hope the MDR will be open seating. If Oceania can do it with 1260 passengers surely SB can with 600. The venue will certainly be large enough. Now the question becomes what will the experience be like serving so many more people at the same time? Having just recently sailed the Pride again and experiencing table side service I realized how much I missed that on the larger ships. Will anything else disappear as the ships grow larger?