Is your ship sinking?

C 2 C

There are a number of sites that comment about people who are characterized by negative comments:

Chicken Little with "The sky is falling" is a fable that goes back centuries if not millennia.

Modern terms include Debbie Downer, Negative Nancy, and Pessimistic Patty

or Miserable Mike and Complaining Calvin.

And, while you are cataloging classic metaphors, Arno -- don't forget Aesop's "Fox and the Grapes". That one popped into my head more than once, reading the myriad of posts about the Captain's Club changes! ;)

Thank you so much for posting this - I was beginning to wonder whether I was doing the right thing booking our next cruise on Celebrity - having read so many negatives. I couldn't believe it could have changed so much since we last sailed two years ago. This has reassured me, off to the travel agent on Thursday!!!

The biggest change is not on the ships, it's on these boards. It seems they have been overtaken with advice from people who seldom, if ever, set foot on a Celebrity ship.

Nothing is ever perfect but in all my years I've never had a "bad" cruise. I firmly believe you make your own joy in life.

Very well stated.

As I read through many threads, some posters make it seem that the Celebrity cruising experience is reaching all time lows.

Modern terms include Debbie Downer, Negative Nancy, and Pessimistic Patty

or Miserable Mike and Complaining Calvin.

http://greeneggsandlam.wordpress.com/2011/10/12/three-people-i-cant-stand-debbie-downer-negative-nancy-and-pessimistic-patty/

No Pessimistic Patty here------just Positive Patti. I am going to have a positively good time on the Century next month.:D

I too have read these negative reviews and most of them are about the smallest of things. I personally sail Celebrity because they have the nicest people working on these ships. I suggest to these people who come here and complain that they should have done something to make their life better while on the cruise. I find the very few complaints that I have had have all been satisfied. A smile and a nice tone of voice goes along way to getting something fixed. My husband is in business for himself and he feels if someone doesn't tell him directly that there is something wrong, he can't make it right. Trying to bad mouth a business without trying to get things done directly is just wrong. With that said I have 3 more Celebrity cruises booked for this year, and I know I will love them all. If I am sailing on the ocean and someone is taking care of most of my needs, I am a happy gal.

Pat

My worst cruise has been good and I don't wish to spend too much time on an "issue" while on board if I don't have to.

As an example I did smell smoke while on my Summit balcony.

No I did not report it as I had no idea where it came from but yes I have mentioned it here.

I am not going to spend my valuable time at customer service while on holiday but reserve the right to mention it on this site.

Cruisenut, I don't believe the issues you brought up are specifically a CC Celebrity issue.

In fact it is worse on other CC sites specifically Carnival. There are a good size group of hard-core haters on

that site as well as a lesser number of unabashed pom pom wavers.

The first group feels it is their duty to warn-off everybody, especially newbies from Carnival.

This is especially unfortunate as Carnival is an entry level cruise line.

Compare to that, this CC Celebrity section is a paragon of civility and decorum.;)

It is called exception reporting. People usually do not tend to comment on the norm, when things go as expected.

When we book a Celebrity cruise, we expect to have an enjoyable cruise with good food and service, and that is what we usually get for the most part.

Consider the types of comments we make in reporting on other aspects of our lives.

When we talk or write to others, we typically do not go around reporting that a tree did not fall on our house today, or that we did not fall and break a leg, or did not need to call the plumber.

We would comment about having a 70 degree day in January, not about having a 70 degree day in June. :)

I agree with Cruisenut that a newcomer might get a lopsided impression of Celebrity cruises from reading the comments on this forum alone. But the same could be said about the forums for the other cruise lines as well.

Bang on!

I filled out a mid cruise comment card (normally for complaints) two years ago on the Connie, praising the truly exceptional extra efforts of our room steward & waiter & waiter assistant. We actually received a handwritten letter (not a note) from the Captain. I don't know of other cruise lines that the senior staff gets involved with day-to-day matters. Things like this keep us coming back to Celebrity, the high level of customer care, at all levels. Off again on Equinox in 30 days--can't wait for old/new friends & more adventures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know that this website is called "Cruise Critic" but if you find that your posts are always raining on someone's parade or cruise, could you perhaps let a little sunshine through in a few posts?

Well, O.K. I will try to be a little more positive. :)

We are about to pack for our 12th cruise. We have had 11 wonderful cruises. Have we had little things happen? Yep....who hasn't? But we love every minute of every cruise. The minute we step on board we know we are going to have true enjoyment. We appreciate the people who serve us on board and we appreciate the experience. Is the glass 1/2 full or half empty? It's for each cruiser to decide. Happy cruising, everyone!

Great post.

While I think that most of the people who contribute to this sight are very nice and helpful people, I agree that there is getting to be more meanness in some of the posts/threads. People not only will bash a cruise line, but they will also bash people for asking particular questions or if they dare to disagree. I've been around CC for a while, and when I started, it seemed like the replies/remarks were more pleasant . I don't understand why some (not most) contributors think that because they hide behind a screen name, it give them the right to be cruel.

I don't know about you, but I consider each and every day a gift, and consider myself fortunate to be a part of our wonderful community, helping others, and most of all... to have cruising as a part of our lives. I'm forever grateful for our many wonderful cruise experiences & memories.

How true, thank you Andy.

We couldn't imagine how this site would be like if it wasn't for people like you and the other moderators looking after us.

We appreciate all opinions.

The negatives and positives help us decide which cruise is best fit for us.

Celebrity has pros and cons.

Isn't Celebrity about passenger satisfaction and increasing the bottom line?

-Marisa

Edited by USVI-4-me

We appreciate all opinions.

The negatives and positives help us decide which cruise is best fit for us.

-Marisa

Ideally yes, but I suspect that in today's economic climate, the "and" sometimes becomes an "or". Not out of choice, but out of necessity. That's not a knock on Celebrity, but a reflection of today's fiscal realities and the need to find an appropriate balance between the two.

Edited by Fouremco

Thank you!

I find the post after post after post about how standards are slipping, money-grubbing increasing, food being terrible etc etc etc, SO puerile and SO annoying. It makes the poster look whiny and the whole forum ridiculous.

Don't like Celebrity - fine, vote with your feet, but please spare us who enjoy cruising on Celebrity from the endless complaints.

Thank you!

I find the post after post after post about how standards are slipping, money-grubbing increasing, food being terrible etc etc etc, SO puerile and SO annoying. It makes the poster look whiny and the whole forum ridiculous.

Don't like Celebrity - fine, vote with your feet, but please spare us who enjoy cruising on Celebrity from the endless complaints.

If they are only looking for postive posts here.... they should maybe consider changing the name from "Cruise Critic" to somethning more like "we love cruises".

It's kind of confusing....

a: one who expresses a reasoned opinion on any matter especially involving a judgment of its value, truth, righteousness, beauty, or technique

b: one who engages often professionally in the analysis, evaluation, or appreciation of works of art or artistic performances

: one given to harsh or captious judgment

Above is what I found as defined by Merriam-Webster. I come here to find reasoned opinions on things I (as a fairly newbie) don't know much about. "Critic" doesn't have to mean only the second definition.

Refreshing to say the least. Those people that complain in my opionion think they are know it all's.

You could put me on a ship that is 50 years old with issues and I would still have a good time. It is what you make it, if you are going to let a spot of rust the size of a quarter ruin your 14 day cruise or that you dont like the color of the tile in the pool, then thats your thing.

I tend to think like cruisenut and wife, who cruise alot and I mean alot. Look for the positive things, meet people have a great time.

Your cruise is what you make it.

I also agree with another poster, dont wait till you get home if something is wrong, they cant fix the problem if they dont know about it.

Norma

We were on the Eclipse in October 2013. About half way through the cruise we received a card requesting comments to date. I filled it out raving about everything and everyone as it was truly the best cruise I have been on...and as this was number 65, I have a lot to compare it to. That same evening, we had flowers delivered to the cabin and a personal phone call from Sue Denning the CD, thanking us for the kind comments. Sadly, apparently positive feedback like ours rarely happens.

I have said it before...you have to work very hard to have a bad time on a cruise.

Looking forward to number 66 in March on the eclipse and in November on the maiden voyage of Quantum...

Jackie

As Ambercascades pointed out - the word critic does not only mean to judge, complain or condemn.

I appreciate valid issues being brought to the attention of readers. Vague posts about how everything is going down hill, are a personal opinion and one that many probably disagree with. However it spoils the enjoyment of anticipation as we wonder what horror we are going to experience.

I only cruised for the first time 3.5 years ago and the whole thing was a bit of a mystery. Cruise Critic helped me to understand more of what to expect.

...and don't even get me started on the whining about status.Good lord.

Edited by DavidYYC

USVI-4-me said:

One reply:

Ideally yes, but I suspect that in today's economic climate, the "and" sometimes becomes an "or". Not out of choice, but out of necessity. That's not a knock on Celebrity, but a reflection of today's fiscal realities and the need to find an appropriate balance between the two.

I've recently sailed on a cruise line which was 75% better than Celebrity---and cost twice as much per day. Which was a better deal?

I've recently sailed on a cruise line which was 75% better than Celebrity---and cost twice as much per day. Which was a better deal?

If you only got a 75% increase in quality but had to pay a 100% increase in fare, then Celebrity was clearly the better deal. Mathematically speaking. Subjectively, the extra enjoyment you received from the other cruise might for you have been well worth the extra money. In the end, only you can tell which was really the better deal.

It's true you can make just about any cruise a fun experience if you have a good attitude; but the reason you are seeing a lot of new negativity with Celebrity cruises is because there has been a big change in the last few months. The bean counters have taken over and any long time Celebrity cruiser that takes a Celebrity cruise now will have a rude awakening at how bad the food in Celebrity has become, certainly compared to a few years ago. Also, tours are not as good a value as they were. If you love Carnival, I'm sure you will be very pleased; but if you haven't sailed with Celebrity in the past two years be aware that things have changed for the worse. Sad but true. I hope Celebrity wakes up to the fact that people are not stupid. They pretend that the food is the same when it is definitely not! The specialty restaurants are good. I'm talking about the food that is included with the cruise fare. So if you avoid the main dining room and pay for everything a la carte you can still have what you had before; but at a price!

Edited by plutoface