Anyone ever been upgraded TWO categories?

zaknzoey

When I asked Royal, I was told that when they do give upgrades (:rolleyes:) it is only for 1 category upgrade, i.e. inside to outside, balcony to Jr Suite.

Has anyone ever been upgraded TWO categories? Like from a balcony to Grand Suite? Inside to balcony??

Just curious. Thanks!

Yes. We booked an inside and found we had a balcony on a TA on Adventure of the Seas. We were with another couple on their first cruise with Royal and it was her 60th birthday while we were onboard. Whether it was just luck or a deliberate attempt to get them hooked I don't know but it was great.

My mom got upgraded from a JS to an OS in the Med a couple years ago. I have no personal experiences to report, because the Upgrade Fairy doesn't know I exist. I've never even been visited by her sister the Upsell Fairy.:rolleyes:

My mom got upgraded from a JS to an OS in the Med a couple years ago. I have no personal experiences to report, because the Upgrade Fairy doesn't know I exist. I've never even been visited by her sister the Upsell Fairy.:rolleyes:

Yes, I can relate! I too have been passed over (but this is the BAD kind of passover)

*sigh*

Some folks seem lucky when it comes to upgrades. An E2 to an GS!

I've had a few upgrades throughout the years, mostly prior to the points conversion and all only one category up, Mostly balcony to JS. The most recent upgrade in August was also a balcony to a JS.

Keep then coming RCCL!

M

We've been upgraded from an E2 to a D category when we went to a guarantee E or better because of a big difference in price twice. However, even though the cabins were slightly larger, the locations were not good and I would have rather been in my E2. I had to repeat to myself "$500, $500" every time I had to hike to an elevator or elsewhere on the ship (lol).

There are "upgrades" and there are "upgrades" and those weren't that great--other than $500 more in my pocket!

Tucker in Texas

We've never gotten an upgrade, but friends booked a GTY inside, and ended up with a D catagory! It can happen...wish it would happen to me!!!

But I thought that you always book Junior Suites? Upgrades in that category are uncommon.

:)

Took my first cruise with royal last week we booked a ocean view. I received a call the day before we left for Florida. I was told we were getting a D2 balcony. Who hoo first time The upgrade fairy ever called also first time having a balcony

My parent were also upgrade this was their second time on Royal we were wondering why they picked us

So, to those who've received upgrades, are you Diamond, D+, or that last category, I think it's called Unreachable in this Lifetime?

I don't just want to know how the upgrade fairy works, I want to know how the man behind the curtain behind the upgrade fairy works!

Just wondering if you have to be a certain C&A level before you are considered. :rolleyes:

I was upgraded today, :D D 1 to JS, never before this, and before this I always had my preferences set to "call me first" because I often choose an aft cabin or have cabins together where I've specifically chosen the location and wanted to nix the upgrade if I didn't like the location. (because of the one category rule, a D2 to D1 upgrade would be meaningless to me if it means a poor location but higher deck for instance) After our Jewel cruise in November I went in and changed to "auto" upgrade because for this cruise we had a D1 with 3 people and that meant JS or better only and that would give us a little breathing room in a triple. The location wasn't a big deal to me. I did it with eternal hope, but little expectation, so I was pretty happy when I heard about the upgrade!

Most of the cruises weve done recently have sold pretty well prior to sailing, so whether the change in preferences had anything to do with it, or that this one was just selling poorly, I can't say:confused:

"unreachable in this lifetime" I like that!!

Edited by Familygoboston

But I thought that you always book Junior Suites? Upgrades in that category are uncommon.

:)

And what makes you think she'll ever come back to respond?

We're only Diamond but have never been upgraded. On our first (and last) HAL cruise, we were upgraded from an ocean view to a balcony - our first and never went lower after that, so I guess there is something to it.

We were once visited by both the upgrade and upsell fairies.

We booked an OV balcony (D3?) on Allure and were upgraded to a GS a few weeks out. A few days before the cruise, we received a call from C&A offering to upgrade us to an OV CLS for $500 ($250pp). We paid the money and it was awesome.

I believe we were platinum at the time.

Edited by Ambiverol

From a JS to an Owners Suite. Wanted to give us a Grand Suite, we said why not an Owners. They said that was ok. We then tried for the Royal Suite. They told us they never upgrade to the Royal Suite.

That's awesome! I like your way of thinking. "Hey, you called me. So as long as your handing out suites........"

Absolutely!

:D

Only on the (in)famous Mariner Around the Horn cruise in 2009.

"Everyone" was getting upgrades.

We went from GS to RFS.

There were so many full suites open on all 3 legs of that cruise, and since we normally book full suites, I booked my DW in an E-2, for 2 legs that she was solo, and on both legs she had an OS upgrade. Knowing that I was joining her for the 3rd leg, I booked us a JS........knowing that we would be upgraded, and we were to the same OS that she had for the 2nd leg.

That was quite a cruise!!:D

Rick

Edited by rubrrick

Do most upgrades come from booking directly with rccl. We book mostly through a large online ta so I figured that might hinder the chances.

I personally don't think whether you book with a TA or direct with Royal Caribbean makes any difference.

Looking at your cruising history that you have posted, Royal Caribbean already has a history of what you normally book. The revenue department will look at first or second time cruisers, and might bump them into something larger, from an outside to a balcony, or a balcony to a JS, maybe as a teaser to see if, in the future, they will book a higher catagory.

There was a time, that ended in 2009 as I recall, where the D+ cruisers could call 3 weeks out and get an upgrade. This happened mostly if one had over 100 cruises with Royal Caribbean.

That program is long gone.

Rick