Have you ever "run into" someone you know by chance?

screwsmcernst

We have been on quite a few cruises, and it never seems to fail that once onboard, we will come across someone that we know.

a few years ago, we were in Miami, my DH and I were crossing the parking area at the port, and we heard our names being called. Since we are from KY, we didn't think it was for us. We turned, and it was one of my DH's old employees who had moved to New York 10 years earlier. She was going on the cruise with a large group.

Then, just before we were leaving on one of our last cruises, our DD was telling her friend that we were taking a cruise, and she said, "So are we." Long story short, neighbors two doors down were gong on the same cruise, so we linked our reservations, so we all sat together at dinner.

Is this just our crazy luck, or does this happen to others?

We have been on quite a few cruises, and it never seems to fail that once onboard, we will come across someone that we know.

a few years ago, we were in Miami, my DH and I were crossing the parking area at the port, and we heard our names being called. Since we are from KY, we didn't think it was for us. We turned, and it was one of my DH's old employees who had moved to New York 10 years earlier. She was going on the cruise with a large group.

Then, just before we were leaving on one of our last cruises, our DD was telling her friend that we were taking a cruise, and she said, "So are we." Long story short, neighbors two doors down were gong on the same cruise, so we linked our reservations, so we all sat together at dinner.

Is this just our crazy luck, or does this happen to others?

It's happened to us. We took a transatlantic cruise. Onboard, about the second day out, we ran across someone that DH works with.

Never on a cruise, but I've crossed paths with people I know in various airports… Last one was I bumped into a co-worker in the Sky Club at an airport - neither of us knew we were flying somewhere that day; she was coming home and I was flying out on a connection.

I've also taken a flight on DL where the Captain was my across-the-street neighbor!!! Didn't know it until the FA announced who the crew was.

I found out yesterday from a mutual friend that a couple DW and I have known from the military for over 30 years will be on the same cruise as us in April. I haven't seen them since 1995 when I replaced him on a posting with the army. I know they will be there but boy are they in for a suprize.

Yes.

My son and I were on the Legend in 2006. He lost his walkie talkie in the arcade (he was 11 then).

I reported it lost then went to our cabin, then I thought, why not try calling it from MY walkie talkie? Maybe someone found it and could hear me.

After a few times lo and behold, I hear a gentleman's voice answering "yes, we have your son's walkie talkie, what deck are you on?" I say "deck 7". He says "Me, too. I'm in cabin 7XXX. I will meet you in the hall. "

My son and I walk down the hall and see the guy, who sees my son and says "Brian! I didn't know you were going on this cruise, too!"

Turns out the guy was a neighbor who lives down the street from us back home!! He lived across the street from Brian's best friend and saw them outside playing basketball all the time.

What are the chances of being in the middle of the Caribbean, losing something, and having your hometown neighbor (that you didn't know was going on the same cruise as you!!) find what you lost??!!??

I will NEVER forget that story.

Happy Cruising!

~Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

I have not met people I know on cruises, but have met people I know at other places. We have met former and current co-workers at Disney, Busch Gardens, and other touristy places.

As Steven Wright says: "It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to clean it!"

We were in St Thomas sitting at an outside table enjoying a drink when we look up and there goes my husband's first cousin and his wife who had just gotten off another ship.....:D

The look on his face when we called his name was priceless.......:D

We live in the Seattle area and cruise to Alaska out of Seattle. The year we took my teens, my two younger kids both saw people they knew from their schools. Not friends, just people they knew. I guess it's not too surprising when you sail out of your home port.

But speaking of "running into" people you know.... many years ago our family (first husband) went to Hawaii. We got our rental car and were driving to our hotel when we go rear-ended!! :eek: Turns out that the woman who hit us worked for the same company as my husband, in the same building, though they didn't really know each other, just passed in the halls from time to time.

My DH has a professional practice and I was speaking with the man who was covering for him while we were away. He asked where we were going and when I told him, he said his parents were on the same cruise. What?!! I didn't even know they cruised. :) The very first night we ran into them and became fast friends that lasted long after we came home. They lived 10 minutes from us. We had never met them previously. :)

#1)in 2012 Getting on the tender at Cozumel to return to our ship I ran into a couple from our park who were getting on their ship ( Princess Line ) while we were in line for our Ship ( Carnival line)

#2 After my family cruise in Nov of 2003 on the Carnival Triumph my wife and I were at a local High school Basketball game and my wife was in the ladies room and a lady from the opposing team ( miles away) approached her and said, " Were you that lady in the "Survivor Contest" in November?" ( She had come in second place! ) of course my wife sheepishly had to admit it! We ALL had a great laugh!

Small World

We live in a very very small town (less than 300 people) in a very rural area. On our last cruise we got onto the elevator and my son started talking to a lady with a Kentucky sweatshirt on, he had a Huskers cap on and she asked if we were from Nebraska. Turned out we knew her family and she grew up in the next town. For anyone to even have heard of our town let alone who we were was crazy.

Several years ago, there was a couple we used to see in the dining room every night. The man was distinctive looking because he was very tall. A couple of months after the cruise, we were in a Chinese restaurant and saw this couple but I couldn't place where I had seen them. They looked at us and we looked at them. The woman came over to our table and asked if we were recently on a cruise. I said yes. Immediately I knew where I saw them. They were in the cabin next to ours and live in the next city over to where we live. They eat in this Chinese restaurant every Saturday and when I go, they are always there.

:eek:

But speaking of "running into" people you know.... many years ago our family (first husband) went to Hawaii. We got our rental car and were driving to our hotel when we go rear-ended!! :eek: Turns out that the woman who hit us worked for the same company as my husband, in the same building, though they didn't really know each other, just passed in the halls from time to time.

I was hoping there wouldn't be any literal responses, but I see there are. :) I hope everyone was ok, and not a lot of damage done. :eek::)

Day 2 of our cruise and as I was leaving the loo there waiting outside was the Headmaster of the school I worked at. Neither of us knew we were going on the same cruise. I naturally thought he was waiting for his wife but who should follow me out was the deputy headmistress. # awkward. :eek:

Not from a cruise, but had an employee who asked to be off on the Friday of Thanksgiving weekend. I denied it since I was going to in Las Vegas that weekend and needed her to work. She called in sick on Friday morning and I had to scramble to cover her shift from Vegas. About 2 hours later while I was sitting at the blackjack table at the MGM I looked up and she was walking by.:eek:

She kept walking and on Monday had to stand in the unemployment line.:(

It happened to me once a few years ago. DW and I were standing in line waiting for the dining room to open when I heard a man's voice behind me calling me name.

I turned around and saw a man I knew! I was very surprised since I didn't know he was taking a cruise.

Edited by JimAOk1945

Day 2 of our cruise and as I was leaving the loo there waiting outside was the Headmaster of the school I worked at. Neither of us knew we were going on the same cruise. I naturally thought he was waiting for his wife but who should follow me out was the deputy headmistress. # awkward. :eek:

OH MY!!!! :eek: Maybe Their spouses were on the ship also???????? Awkward is right!!! :p

A couple of years ago on cunard we ran into someone from our building. We were on a TA in the middle of the ocean. My husband said this woman has been staring at me. He saw her a couple of days in a row. I said no one is staring. People are friendly. The next day she came over and introduced herself. She recognized my husband from the laundry room. Small world in the middle of the ocean.

Not on a cruise, and not exactly someone we knew, but amazing still... catching a cab in Australia. The cabbie asks us where we are from and we tell him TN. He asks where in TN. We tell him it's a tiny town he's probably never heard of. He said, "try me." We tell him, and he tells us he worked in a town about 15 miles from there. My Dad says, "Oh, I owned a company there for years," and tells him the name. The guy goes, "Oh, the black trucks with the white lettering that do the electrical inside" a large factory there. We were gobsmacked. Turns out, he worked for another contracting company inside that same factory. From TN to Australia! Turns out we knew a lot of people in common. Most fun cab ride ever!