Wine snobs

miccheck

Are you a wine snob like me? Even if you're not, since we're allowed two bottles per stateroom; What two bottles would you bring that they don't already carry on board? My cruise isn't until October, but I'm having a hard time deciding what to bring and this much time isn't completely out of the question to find specific vintages.

What I hate is when I see bottles of wine on the ship for over $30 that I can get at Safeway for around $4.99. Is that wine cheap or expensive or expensive for cheap? I know there needs to be some markup, but 600% seems like a bit much.

Tom

Not a wine snob and can drink cheapo as well as expensive but our bring on wine bottles are more expensive as they always contain Vodka:D

If I was a wine snob and I had until October to choose the wine to take onboard I would definitely take a bottle of "1991 Penfolds Bin 95 Grange" and this is the best wine I have ever tasted but at almost $600 a bottle I would need to put a little money aside every week sort of like buying fun dollars:)

What I hate is when I see bottles of wine on the ship for over $30 that I can get at Safeway for around $4.99. Is that wine cheap or expensive or expensive for cheap? I know there needs to be some markup, but 600% seems like a bit much.

Tom

In some of the wine packages you can get some nice wines that are worth the package cost but your above statement rings true for me as well.

When in USA last we bought 2 bottles of Margret River Sharaz in Walmart for our onboard at $6.50 each, the same wine where I live and where it is made is $30 a bottle:confused:

Not even close to being a wine snob but I do know that I can drink some cheap white wine, specifically Pinot Grigio and sparkling wine. I don't care for cheap Chardonnay. So, I would choose one bottle of Chardonnay and supplement on board with Pinot Grigio and sparkling wine. Maybe a Heitz Cellar.

As far as reds go, I would bring a bottle of Pinot Noir. Maybe a Belle Glos Las Alturas not too expensive but better than I would splurge for on board.

Good question and I'm curious to see what others recommend.

I see a research project in my immediate future.

Tom

I think it's more appropriate to compare Royal wine pricing to restaurant wine pricing, as opposed to a retail store. In that comparison, their prices are not bad, in fact for the more expensive wines, they have better prices than big city restaurants.

Our favorite wine is one that we actually found on a cruise on Celebrity Summit.

It is Vino Cabos Bramare Malbec. We fell in love with it and is extremely hard to find in the US. Fabulous wine!:D

Otherwise, we really enjoy Red Diamond Merlot from the Pacific Northwest. It's not expensive but, we love it!

That's a good question!

I tend towards mid-priced for something like this, although I'm going to have to think before we go on Explorer this summer.

I like the idea of a Belle Glos Pinot Noir as it's not too expensive and will blow anything on the ship out of the water. Then it gets complicated. I have a lovely 2008 San Roman Toro that would be a great wine to try with a Portofino filet (since EOS doesn't have a Chops). Hmmm....

Are you a wine snob like me? Even if you're not, since we're allowed two bottles per stateroom; What two bottles would you bring that they don't already carry on board? My cruise isn't until October, but I'm having a hard time deciding what to bring and this much time isn't completely out of the question to find specific vintages.

we stick with our favorite boutiques from the smaller Monterey county winemakers like Faun that cannot be widely found commercially.

Yes I'm a wine snob like you. I can't stand Charles Shaw or any watered down Merlot. I love Weins from Temecula, Bogle, Monkey Bay from New Zeland, Sterling Wines and others not even offered on Royal.

In my opinion Royal is just getting the wine from Napa and not a local vineyard. I would bring on two special boutique wines that Royal has never even heard of.

Sante!!!

A $25.00 corkage fee is not unreasonable. So a $5.00 to $10.00 bottle + the corkage fee = $30-35.00. I will be bringing a bottle of my favorite cab and a bottle of champaign for sail away.

No corkage fee if you open it in your cabin for sail away.

I will bring 2 bottles I'm familiar with, a Chardonnay and either a Merlot or a Cab. Last time I tried something new from Total Wine and wasn't happy with it.

Not a wine snob, but I am bringing Caymus Cab. We are going on the Allure to celebrate friendship and it deserves a great wine. My standard is the under $10-Casa Lapostolle or Uppercut sauvignon blanc. I like Spanish Albarinos, but they are more expensive in this country. I am glad Allure carries one-Paco & Lola.

Not a wine snob, but I am bringing Caymus Cab. We are going on the Allure to celebrate friendship and it deserves a great wine. My standard is the under $10-Casa Lapostolle or Uppercut sauvignon blanc. I like Spanish Albarinos, but they are more expensive in this country. I am glad Allure carries one-Paco & Lola.

Yum! Please tell me that Caymus is no younger than 2007!

On Freedom last year, they were selling 2008 or 2009, which was a total baby that needed to be buried for at least 3, and preferably 5-8 years!

I have a few Lapostolles in the basement. Amazing wines!

My local pusher forced me to taste a 2010 Mondavi Reserve Cab tonight. That's going to be at least a couple more bottles in the basement...

I would find something I liked - on the young side. Travelling with older wines will shake up the sediment and can cause bottle shock. I have not followed wines for a while but I have found the 2010 California reds to be a nice vintage. Vintages has Caymus Cab at $20 a glass. I use my buy one get one coupon on that wine.

Maybe consider a bottle of port (you can filter the sediment) - keep in the cabin for an after dinner treat.

I prefer reds. My favorite go-to wine under $40 retail is a Cain Cuvee either Nv8 or Nv9. If a restaurant has them they're around $75/bottle so it's a great one to bring on hour own (cabernet sauvignon).

If I have a special occasion I bring a Cain Five ($135 and worth it!)

For our 25th anniversary we toasted w/ a Cristal Louis Roederer. TO DIE FOR. I wasn't going to spring for the Cristal Rose. Maybe some day but it better be DELISH! and then it better do the dishes for me afterwards.

I prefer reds. My favorite go-to wine under $40 retail is a Cain Cuvee either Nv8 or Nv9. If a restaurant has them they're around $75/bottle so it's a great one to bring on hour own (cabernet sauvignon).

If I have a special occasion I bring a Cain Five ($135 and worth it!)

For our 25th anniversary we toasted w/ a Cristal Louis Roederer. TO DIE FOR. I wasn't going to spring for the Cristal Rose. Maybe some day but it better be DELISH! and then it better do the dishes for me afterwards.

Glad you enjoyed Cristal. I haven't been such a fan, not sure why. I tend to go towards Bollinger or Perrier Jouet for Champagnes. I recently had a 1995 Bollinger RD Extra Brut that was great.

We're bringing two bottlesof Testa wine. Testa winery is up in Mendocino County in northern Ca. We have a simple white and Black , their signature wines. It kills,me that the Ferrari-Carono fume blanc is $30 onthe ship and only $10 in the stores.