What is a vegan to do?

jgreenwo17

My DW is flexatarian and will eat fish occasionally but is vegan for the most part. I booked aquaclass so we could dine in BLU. My thinking was that a vegan has a fighting chance for more variety there. I see there a few vegan selections here and there on their menu. My question is are the chefs able to conjure up tasty selections on the fly to please their vegan guests? I swear I've read on these boards that they can be pretty accommodating when it comes to things like this.

Any experiences or ideas?

Thanks!

JG

I believe they will take very good care of you. Let the Matre D know and they will usually show you the next days menu the night before to help her in choosing a meal that she will enjoy. They have always done this for our friends that we travel with that are gluten free or have other dietary restrictions. Enjoy

We ate in Blu last week on the Summit. My wife is vegetarian and they had a separate vegetarian menu with several choices besides some items on the regular menu. Also check with the maitre d' in advance about menus and if you don't see something you like they can arrange a special meal. The maitre d' did this for my wife.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all the tips. I feel better after reading all of your posts!

We've done a galley tour and it is incredible what they can create! They have special areas sequestered in the galley to prep meals for those guests with dietary restrictions (gluten free, allergies, etc) to ensure no cross contamination and will most definitely be able to accommodate any request. :)

I am a vegan and I sailed on the Equinox 1/10 - 1/20. I had no problems, but I did plan ahead. I contacted Celebrity before my sailing and let them know I am vegan. I did not eat at Blu, but the MDR, and when we boarded the ship we made sure we checked with the Maitre'D to so he had that info, which he did. I also prepared a list of what I did not eat, to be clear (I do not eat honey or gelatin, in addition to any meat, dairy, fish, eggs, etc). Well, as soon as I showed my list to the Maitre'D, he said he would have the Executive Chef for the ship (the whole ship!!) call me! Before the muster drill even happened, we had a message from the Executive Chef (Gavin) requesting to meet with me to discuss my dietary needs. I met him after the muster drill at Cafe el Baccio (he was surprised that I didn't eat honey, for example and we discussed bone char in refined sugar and wine). Anyway, Chef Gavin took notes and asked me lots of questions about my eating habits/ what I liked, etc. We discussed the Oceanview Cafe, which was a big concern for me, and my dining options each night. I was given a separate menu each night with 2 vegetarian options that I was told would be prepared vegan and pre-ordered my vegan choice (3 courses) for the next evening's dinner. For the Oceanview Cafe, I asked about EVERYTHING! I also told my servers of my dietary restrictions so they knew too. I know many people have talked about eating pasta at the Oceanview Cafe pasta bar, but I was told the pasta was made with eggs, so I did not eat pasta. I took a list of vegan wines to review with the sommelier. I had no problem getting soy milk, plain and vanilla was available, although some times I did not have a choice as to which one. Regardless, I was VERY happy! Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any other questions!

Be well,

Jen

My question is are the chefs able to conjure up tasty selections on the fly to please their vegan guests?

If you mean by "on the fly" can you walk into a restaurant to dine, and on the spur of the moment tell the waiter you are vegan and want something prepared right then and there that does not appear on the menu, you are taking a big chance. However, if you talk to the maitre 'd at the beginning of the cruise as soon as you board, they will generally make arrangements for you. They can be very accommodating but need some lead time to do so in the best way possible.

We ate in Blu last week on the Summit. My wife is vegetarian and they had a separate vegetarian menu

Vegetarian is not the same as vegan.

I am going to toss out a thought, which is not meant as criticism and has no hidden agenda. There are some folks that are very "selective" diners for various reasons. Some have real serious health issues and allergies and must be very careful about their diet. But there are others (like many vegans, vegetarians, etc) who have simply made lifestyle choices and even others who are just very picky eaters. Mass market cruise lines try to create menus to offer a variety, but sometimes this is just not good enough for some folks. So, do you folks think that in those cases a cruise line should endeavor to satisfy the personal tastes (and wants) of any individual who feels the need of a private chef? Let us assume that the Oasis of the Seas had 5500 "vegans" each with their own idea of what that means. Would it be possible for the "Executive Chef" to sit down with 5500 folks (one at a time) and develop an individual menu for every meal?

So I am thinking this is not really practical on a mass market ship that must prepare thousands of meals every day. Yes, we think cruise lines should try to accommodate folks with specific dietary desires, but it should be done in an alternate setting and the passenger should pay for this extra service. Otherwise, what if I were to tell the "Executive Chef" that I only eat well marbled 2 pound Rib Eye Steak and boiled lobster...and I expect that at every meal? Or perhaps I only want a diet of shell fish...and demand that the chef serve me mussels, lobster, clams, oysters, etc. Are not my demands just as reasonable as a vegan (or any of the numerous categories of vegetarians)? Or perhaps I can only sleep on the highest quality satin sheets because any other linen chaffs my tender skin? Where does it all end?

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Hi all,

Wanted to make sure everyone was aware of this webpage on Celebrity.com. If you have any dietary concerns, we will be happy to assist!

http://www.celebritycruises.com/planAndBook/tabLanding.do?pagename=onboard_dining&tab=onboard_special_dietary_needs_tab/onboard/textPanel.do?pagename=onboard_special_dietary_needs

One tip that will really help is pick a fixed dining time....not select...that way you have the same team every nite....there is a vegetarian menu every nite...they can show it to you the nite beforeand will alter any item...ie no dairy or cheese or animal product....celebrity is ex....pcellent in this regard...my wife is vegan and she loves to cruise celebrity..hope this helps paul

I am going to toss out a thought, which is not meant as criticism and has no hidden agenda. There are some folks that are very "selective" diners for various reasons. Some have real serious health issues and allergies and must be very careful about their diet. But there are others (like many vegans, vegetarians, etc) who have simply made lifestyle choices and even others who are just very picky eaters. Mass market cruise lines try to create menus to offer a variety, but sometimes this is just not good enough for some folks. So, do you folks think that in those cases a cruise line should endeavor to satisfy the personal tastes (and wants) of any individual who feels the need of a private chef? Let us assume that the Oasis of the Seas had 5500 "vegans" each with their own idea of what that means. Would it be possible for the "Executive Chef" to sit down with 5500 folks (one at a time) and develop an individual menu for every meal?

So I am thinking this is not really practical on a mass market ship that must prepare thousands of meals every day. Yes, we think cruise lines should try to accommodate folks with specific dietary desires, but it should be done in an alternate setting and the passenger should pay for this extra service. Otherwise, what if I were to tell the "Executive Chef" that I only eat well marbled 2 pound Rib Eye Steak and boiled lobster...and I expect that at every meal? Or perhaps I only want a diet of shell fish...and demand that the chef serve me mussels, lobster, clams, oysters, etc. Are not my demands just as reasonable as a vegan (or any of the numerous categories of vegetarians)? Or perhaps I can only sleep on the highest quality satin sheets because any other linen chaffs my tender skin? Where does it all end?

Hank

Thank you Hank! Well Said! As the mother of a child with severe shellfish allergies (and a number of cruises under my belt) I understand the difference between lifestyle choices and true allergies/diet restrictions.

The vegan who doesn't eat honey or worry about char in the distillation process of wine... that's 100% a lifestyle choice and to ask a chef to bend over backwards... well, that's just wildly inappropriate, IMHO. How about we focus on not harming people with real allergies...

To Hank's point, my request for a pint of perfectly ripe fresh raspberries every morning with steel cut oats cooked for precisely 6 minutes should not go unheeded, either. How dare a cruiseline deny me of my special dietary needs. And a 6 ounce center cut filet, cooked precisely to my temp of choice and served on a sizzling plate for dinner.. .as that is what would make me happy...

Ok, off soapbox now. But appreciate the note that Vegan is a lifestyle choice and one that the mass market lines do a good job with as there are plenty of options already.

Hi all,

Wanted to make sure everyone was aware of this webpage on Celebrity.com. If you have any dietary concerns, we will be happy to assist!

http://www.celebritycruises.com/planAndBook/tabLanding.do?pagename=onboard_dining&tab=onboard_special_dietary_needs_tab/onboard/textPanel.do?pagename=onboard_special_dietary_needs

I cannot thank Celebrity enough for their dietary choices.

I recently acquired a lactose sensitivity and although not life threatening as an allergy is, it can cause discomfort.

Their menus are available to me the night before, so that I can make my Lactose free choice.

Thank you Hank! Well Said! As the mother of a child with severe shellfish allergies (and a number of cruises under my belt) I understand the difference between lifestyle choices and true allergies/diet restrictions.

The vegan who doesn't eat honey or worry about char in the distillation process of wine... that's 100% a lifestyle choice and to ask a chef to bend over backwards... well, that's just wildly inappropriate, IMHO. How about we focus on not harming people with real allergies...

To Hank's point, my request for a pint of perfectly ripe fresh raspberries every morning with steel cut oats cooked for precisely 6 minutes should not go unheeded, either. How dare a cruiseline deny me of my special dietary needs. And a 6 ounce center cut filet, cooked precisely to my temp of choice and served on a sizzling plate for dinner.. .as that is what would make me happy...

Ok, off soapbox now. But appreciate the note that Vegan is a lifestyle choice and one that the mass market lines do a good job with as there are plenty of options already.

While you're certainly correct that veganism is a lifestyle choice, there is one very glaring differences between the scenarios you and other other poster presented... Center-cut filets, fresh raspberries, and lobster all come a pretty significant price.

On the other hand, in general, it is MUCH less expensive to feed the a vegan than it is to feed a regular omnivore. Rice, pasta, tofu, and vegetables are all relatively inexpensive.

I know that when I switched from being a vegan back to being a regular omnivore, my personal grocery and dining-out bills tripled.

While I believe that dietary considerations based on medical conditions are essential, I'm not sure that we should be dismissing those with requirements based on a legitimate belief system. While I don't subscribe to veganism, I understand and respect the underlying dietary beliefs, just as I understand but don't subscribe to kosher or halal dietary beliefs.

I am currently eating vegan and going on a cruise in 2 months. I feel this lifestyle choice is my responsibility and not the cruise line's. I will be fine in the buffet, many, many choices. In the MDR I'll do my best. But I will not impose this on the MDR staff. My burden to carry. Just my opinion.

I am currently eating vegan and going on a cruise in 2 months. I feel this lifestyle choice is my responsibility and not the cruise line's. I will be fine in the buffet, many, many choices. In the MDR I'll do my best. But I will not impose this on the MDR staff. My burden to carry. Just my opinion.

We met a guy on our X cruise last year that was very fussy and couldnt eat anything with added or hidden sugars this included sauces, dressings, desserts etc. We dined with him in Select a few times and they basically gave him the same waiter every night who got to know his preferences and got him to look at the next nights menu the day before so he could query any possible choices and they could check and if necessary prepare an amended dish.

You pay a lot for your cruise and everyone should enjoy the food. There are some passengers with no dietary restrictions or preferences that will cause more hassle for their servers than your restrictions would.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We really respect your attitude. A couple of years ago we were on a 62 day Prinsendam cruise and became friends with a single male cruiser who was a strict vegan. He never complained, seldom talked about his dietary habits, and was very happy with the food onboard. He never ate in the MDR (because he told us he did not want to subject the staff or his tablemates with his dining habits) and took all his meals in the Lido. He told us the Lido staff got to know him well, and were happy to work at meeting his dining habits. He actually got a lot of Wok-made dishes where the cook could simply toss things in the wok according to his specifications. I know that at the end of the cruise he was very "generous" to the Lido staff as a way of saying "thanks."

Hank

Do the people with special dietary needs (regardless if they are medical, lifestyle, or whatever else) tip the staff that helps them with special menus, etc?

In my experience, yes. I have tipped the headwaiter on several cruises when they have been thoughtful of DD's shellfish allergy. On Disney, especially, all orders from tables with allergies must go through the headwaiter for an "all clear" before going to the kitchen. They do an exceptional job with this.

I have had the unfortunate experience to dine with a friend who was not a vegan or a kosher foodie or a vegatarian--not even a raw foodie --the meal was pure hell --after telling the waiter what had to be eliminated from the selected dish-and what had to be substituted etc. etc. I decided never again--However I feel so sorry for the passenger that must always say that their personal food choicesare suchit has to be their way or the highway ---I can not get my meat cooked medium rare --I only eat grade A5 Kobe beef--can get it in town for $30 an ounce

Wow, it's amazing how comments can be taken out of context! I have a progressive neurological condition, and follow a very strict diet -- which includes following a vegan diet . I did not ask to meet with the chef, I was told the Executive Chef would call me to meet with me after I saw the Maitre'D upon boarding. Because I have lost my ability to speak due to my neurological condition, I provided a list of what I do not eat. I use an AAC device that I type into to speak for me and it is very time consuming to have a conversation with, so having a prepared list helps and I can share it with multiple people as opposed to having to type what I want to say each time, etc. My point in speaking with the Maitre'D upon boarding, actually -- and you will see in posts I wrote prior to my boarding, was to figure out what I was available for me to eat -- like was the pasta in the Oceanview Cafe made with eggs or the veggie burgers in the Mast Grille vegan (the latter a question I posted on this site before I boarded the ship). I never requested to meet with anyone except for the Maître'D. When I asked the Maitre'D how I would know about the items were vegan friendly, such as the veggie burgers in the Mast Grille and the pasta in the Oceanview Cafe, the Maitre'D told me the Exec Chef would contact me. For me, asking a person is not an easy feat because my AAC device cannot "talk over"/ is not loud enough to be heard in noisy places such as the Oceanview Cafe or Mast Grille. I cannot expect a server/food preparer to come out from behind their station to come stand beside my wheelchair and read what I am typing while I am typing to ask a question. That is why I went to the Maître'D when I boarded, to basically ask what Was available for me to eat. When I met with the Exec Chef -- again, I was told he would be meeting with me, I did not ask to meet with him -- he was surprised to see honey on my list of things I did not eat. I explained why I did not eat honey and also noted that many vegans do not eat refined sugar or drink non vegan wine because of the bone char refinement process. On this cruise, I ate refined sugar! I did not indicate to him that I did not eat refined sugar -- if you read my post again it says he and I discussed how sugar and wine is refined with bone char and that some vegans do not eat refined sugar because of it! I did bring a list of vegan wines to compare to the Celebrity wine list. I am amazed and overwhelmed by the extraordinary level of service I received with Celebrity!!!! However, I do feel the need to "defend" myself on this board. I think if I could have talked to each server or preparer at the stations, or spoken to people directly, things would have been different. But, I can't. I am sorry that this has upset people.

Although we prepaid our gratuities, we tipped our MDR staff additionally at the end of the cruise (server, asst server, Maitre'D, Asst Maitre'D, & sommelier) in cash. We also tipped individually for each & every drink and server at the bars and cafés, in cash, above the standard 15%. Like when we got smoothies at the AquaSpa Cafe, we tipped the preparer for each one -- the same for bartenders, waiter service at the Oceanview Cafe or pool side, at Cafe el Bacio, etc.