speciality restaurants - rank them!

suec12

We like good food. At home we don't go out often because I can usually make better food at home for a fraction of the price. On our first few cruises we did not care for Toscana. However that changed on our first Marina cruise. Our first experience in La Reserve was excellent. Second was barely adequate for what it is supposed to be. We will not return unless part of a group of friends. I realize it is not a specialty restaurant, but others have mentioned it so this is how I would rate it.

Red Ginger

Toscana

Polo

La Reserve

Jacques

I put Jacques below La Reserve as I have never had a good meal there. We did have one good one in La Reserve. One meal that was particularly bad in Jacques was a chef special of bouillabaisse that was inedible. Subsequent meals in Jacques have been marginally better. I have not tried the lobster dish there which I understand is excellent. So we will try it one more time.

On our last cruise (25 nights) we had only one decent steak between us. I gave up on steak but DH persisted and had an excellent one on the last night. They were tough, gristly, and overcooked, even when sent back.

The steamed lobster in Polo has always been excellent. I grew up in Nova Scotia and we know our lobster! The lobster in Polo has always been tender and sweet. But I avoid the small rock lobsters they serve in GDR. They are not worth eating anytime, anywhere.

One of my favourites that I don't think I have ever heard any mention of is the daily ice cup dessert at lunch in GDR. Never had a bad one! Second would be those homemade marshmallows in Polo.

I find the food varies on each cruise. Of course it does. It depends entirely on the chef, and there is a different one in each restaurant. The only time we have cruised with friends the food was barely adequate in all the venues. We were very surprised and disappointed. Our friends did not hold it against us or Oceania and have sailed twice since. We have sailed four times since that one and am happy to say all have been better experiences.

Mo

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We're booked for our 11th Oceania cruise this April on the Riviera. We have found our SR choices change from cruise to cruise. You can get a great meal in any of the restaurants, including the MDR. And you can have a meal that is not up to par. This can happen anywhere even in our restaurants at home.

But for the most part, ALL of O's restaurants are excellent. We really like the MDR. O is not like the other ships like X where the MDR is just okay and doesn't serve a wide variety of food. So if you don't pay to go to an SR, you won't have a really good dining experience.

The SRs on O have fixed menus but you never know what the chefs will create for the MDR! So we always check the menu board before the evening and sometimes CANCEL a SR to eat in the MDR. And please - always cancel your rsv. if you can't go. Sometimes you can walk up to an SR w/o a rsv. and get in because people have been considerate enough to cancel.

And as for wait time, we've been in and out of the MDR in 1 hour. If you dine just 2 people at a table, it doesn't take long. But if you sit at a table for 8, it could take over 2 hours. We've never on any cruise been in any of O's restaurants longer than 2 1/2 hours and that would have been an enjoyable group of 8. And it depends on how busy they are. But we'd had a difficult experience once in Polo where the food took a very long time to come out (we were seated with other CC members so we were enjoying each other's company anyway.) But when it finally came, the steaks were too salty. Ask for no salt on the steaks and any sauce on the side. But almost all of our experiences in Polo have been great.

So ANY of O's restaurants can become overbooked and you could experience a long wait, but it's not the norm.

Hope this helps!

Jan

I agree, our preferences for the specialty restaurants varies depending on the cruise - even on the same ship. Chefs, sous chefs and staff, location in the world (top quality beef is harder to get some places than others, same with seafood), time of year all affect the quality of the food.

We just try all the venues, pick our favorite for the current cruise and stick with it.

In my experience, views about food are, of course, very subjective, and Oceania always is glad to replace any food you do not like.

Therefore, for me, it usually comes down to service, and on our January 13 cruise, we had superb service in Polo and Red Ginger, as well as wonderful food, so those were our favorite specialty restaurant evenings, OK service in Jacques, and awful service in Toscana, where our servers were either inexperienced or very poorly trained. (Half hour wait for first course, constant admonishment to hold the pepper to one twist, constant correcting of who ordered what dish, coffee cups spilling after server hit the window curtains controls with them (I am not making this up!), etc.)

When the assistant server poured scads of pepper on husband's entree after his loudly beseeching him to halt, necessitating a redo of the now inedible entree, it brought back memories of my awful Marina Toscana experience where husband had to summon the maitre d' over to our table. That simply was because the server would not stop arguing with him about my terrible entree. (The server had refused to even meet my eye, let alone talk to me, a mere female, about my issues with it!)

However, we had great company at our recent Toscana meal, so there always are compensations.:)

Edited by CintiPam

This is one of those questions where everyone will have a different response. Your favorite restaurant depends on your favorite kind of food, your preferred atmosphere, your mood at any particular time etc. Bottom line for me is that they are all good BUT if I could only choose one meal in one of them it would be Jacques.

1. Jacques for frogs legs, Dover sole

2. Polo for Maine lobster and porterhouse

3. Red Ginger for duck salad and sea bass

4. Toscana for octopus carpaccio and veal chop

5. GDR when they have caviar (double portion with vodka or champagne) or sautéed foie gras.

We found the different restraints fun to go to however I feel they are over hyped. Each provides a good meal in their area. In March we are going back to all however call my nuts but we had the most fun in Terrace Cafe with all the choices and sushi, lobster and grilled to order meat.

Jacques

Main Dining Room

The Reserve —Exploration Menu (didn't care for the braised rib on the Discovery Menu)

Polo Grill

Toscana

Terrace Grill

Red Ginger

The sea bass in Red Ginger was made inedible by the overpowering sweetness of the glaze. Someone noted this on another thread.

The quality of the sea bass was amazingly good.

We love the main dining room, and had perfect service until breakfast on the last day. It took forever.

Edited by Kinkajou

That's why I like Jacques so much, because it is Casual Country French. It's just so good.

And Toscana is just my least favorite, poor service and cold food no matter which ship it is.

Also I do enjoy the Kings Cut Prime Rib, just wished it was smaller cut with a bone-in.

And I only wish they served Sauted Foie Gras on the Ship.

Rick

Toscana - Lobster risotto and Dover sole

Jacques - Molten cheese soufflé and crusted lamb with pistachio

Red Ginger - Duck salad with watermelon. The red curry needed more red

curry

Polo - Avoid the salad with the tangy dressing unless you like barbecue

sauce on your salad. :eek: My ribeye was also tough.

BTW You can always get lamb chops at the Terrace grill

The only one I don't really fancy is Red Ginger. I live in Perth, Australia which has a strong Asian food culture due to our proximity to Asia. The food in Red Ginger is bland and "Westernized" for my tastes.

Of the other three, my favourite is Toscana (if I close my eyes and think of the Osso Bucco I start drooling like Homer Simpson), with a tie for second place between Polo Grill and Jacques.

In conjunction with my Social Director:

Toscana

Red Ginger (debated because we have had some pretty lousy service here plus have great Asian restaurants locally to compare with).

Jacques (service: our absolute finest evening thanks to ... OMG I must remember her name as credit is due!) 'stinky' cheese variety on the cart is a plus for me and a negative having to sit near for DW. BTW Terrace has a nice selection on a trolley as well. O one the reasons we like O is they have a lot of specialties everywhere)

Polo

Toscana's menu has so much more variety than the last two.

We chose that as our #1 despite the fact we have also had the worst service here ever, on land or at sea, at any level of restaurant. We just consider that to have been be a bad day for us though a 2nd time we would not be so forgiving.

This thread would be better as a poll so the votes would be tallied and the comments as additions.

Off the poll: we too are big fans of the GRD. We enjoy the variety that the Specialty restaurants do not have and have usually had good, prompt and attentive service (exceptions excluded of course). I know the Specialty restaurants have a certain allure but we enjoy the atmosphere and the 'grandness' of the GDR

Edited by YoHoHo

In this mellow time of my evening, I must add praise for the Waves Grill on the pool deck where on sea days I would enjoy a late lunch of a double order of the Surf part of the Surf & Turf offering, with no roll. (Remember, it's your world, your way!). The accomodating personnel would serve me a simple plate with generous portions of grilled lobster plus a small ramekin of dipping sauce. Sometimes I included the fries dusted with truffles supplied with the normal Surf & Turf sandwich with my order, but more often simply a side salad of those lovely fresh mixed greens. Yummy seafood heaven!:)

Edited by CintiPam

In this mellow time of my evening, I must add praise for the Waves Grill on the pool deck where on sea days I would enjoy a late lunch of a double order of the Surf part of the Surf & Turf offering, with no roll. (Remember, it's your world, your way!). The accomodating personnel would serve me a simple plate with generous portions of grilled lobster plus a small ramekin of dipping sauce. Sometimes I included the fries dusted with truffles supplied with the normal Surf & Turf sandwich with my order, but more often simply a side salad of those lovely fresh mixed greens. Yummy seafood heaven!:)

What a great idea! I'll have to remember that for when we are on board the Riviera later this year:D

We board Riviera on Sunday. Thanks for giving me our first lunch order! Waves will be open, won't it?

We board Riviera on Sunday. Thanks for giving me our first lunch order! Waves will be open, won't it?

Yes, both the Welcome Buffet in the Terrace Cafe and Waves Grill will be open until 4 PM on embarkation day.

BTW, Waves Grill always closes at 4 PM (and the Terrace Cafe normally closes at 2 PM). If hungry after that and before dinner, afternoon tea in Horizons (but not on embarkation day) will fill the void: do not miss the scones with raspberry jam and clotted cream.

Pthjudy, have you been over to the roll call for Mayan Mystique beginning Sunday? Please check it out, we will be having a very small meet and greet in Horizons. Would love it if you could join us!

(Roll call is spelled incorrectly as Mayan Mistique...but it's there!)

Drooling thinking about those scones with raspberry jam and clotted cream Pam.

Come on Sunday!

Terry

Also worth trying: the sticky buns served in the Terrace Cafe (perhaps three times in 10 days) and, of course, the chocolate croissants available daily.

Terry, I am proud to proclaim that fortunately it took only a week to get back to my usual overweight self, having shed the pounds I put on during my 10-day cruise since my return home early Friday morning one week ago.:D

That is due in part to the fact that I only had two scones over that 10-day period and also only 1/2 of a milkshake from the Waves Grill. I had to do something to balance out the fact that I eat so much at breakfast and dinner onboard that I simply could not do afternoon tea more often or indulge in the wonderful milkshakes available at the Waves Grill.

Begging the OP's pardon: I seemingly have diverted a specialty restaurant's thread into a sweets thread! :)

Edited by CintiPam

Therefore, for me, it usually comes down to service, and on our January 13 cruise, we had superb service in Polo and Red Ginger, as well as wonderful food, so those were our favorite specialty restaurant evenings, OK service in Jacques, and awful service in Toscana, where our servers were either inexperienced or very poorly trained. (Half hour wait for first course, constant admonishment to hold the pepper to one twist, constant correcting of who ordered what dish, coffee cups spilling after server hit the window curtains controls with them (I am not making this up!), etc.)

When the assistant server poured scads of pepper on husband's entree after his loudly beseeching him to halt, necessitating a redo of the now inedible entree, it brought back memories of my awful Marina Toscana experience where husband had to summon the maitre d' over to our table. That simply was because the server would not stop arguing with him about my terrible entree. (The server had refused to even meet my eye, let alone talk to me, a mere female, about my issues with it!)

So I guess it is not just me that has bad service ;)

Lyn

Lyn

As you know, the crew changes all the time. While someone may have had great service in one week in a dining venue, the next week it could be different. Our one experience on the Riviera was so positive that we have booked another cruise (even though we still prefer Regent). It takes a lot to impress us but Oceania did it.

Lyn

Indeed, but that was one dinner out of 10, and husband's entree was remade. In stark contrast, our service the next evening in Polo was the best service we ever had in an Oceania restaurant. Also, the overall dining service was 100% better than the mediocre to incompetent service on our 2011 Marina cruise a couple of months after its debut when so many new dining crew members still were far from trained.

The few times when we dislike a dish at dinner, we request something else, and Oceania always has been happy to make us happy. Why didn't you try that for the dishes you disliked?:confused:

We lived in NYC for 11 years and dined out all too often with clients at some pretty nice restaurants, and both spouse and I believe that the quality of the food on Oceania is superb.

Edited by CintiPam