How do meals work?

Jolucy

I am new to cruising and having a hard time understanding how meals work. We are planning an Alaskan cruise on the Grand this summer. From what I understand breakfast and lunch have different dining options and you can go to any place, any time. Is there anything that cost money during those times besides drinks?

For dinner there is the flexible plan which I assume means you can go to any restaurant when you want. The traditional plan has a set time. If I get the traditional but can't make it at that time what are my options? Can I go to another sit down place or just the buffet?

With either plan are there limits to how many meals we can have? Not that we would, but can you get dinner earlier in the evening and then go back later? Is there food available at all times and no limits?

What costs money? I got the drinks are extra and there is a specialty restaurant or two, but beyond that?

Thanks for the answers. I don't feel Princess's website covers that very well for those that know nothing about cruises.

These are questions any TA or Princess rep could answer. But here goes:

There are (usually) three main dining rooms, a buffet, and a couple of specialty restaurants. Many ships have Alfredo's, a free sit-down pizzeria. Some have table-service dinners in a section of the buffet. There are often upcharge sushi and/or tapas bars. There are also outdoor pizza and burger places on Lido deck. The buffet is open most of the day, and many ships have a 24-hour International Cafe with a limited menu.

Buffet and main dining room meals are free. Specialty restaurants, afternoon tea, and on some ships, specialty meals in the buffet all cost extra, as do specialty coffees, any coffee in the International Cafe, gelato, sodas, and of course booze. If you have anytime dining, there are generally two dining rooms you can eat in, sometimes with a wait to be seated. If you miss your assigned time in traditional, you shouldn't go to an anytime dining room, since that will make anytime diners wait that much longer. You can eat anywhere else that's open then.

There are some other twists to all that, in part depending on the ship, but that's the gist. And you can eat as much as you're able. Some people eat even more than that.

Edited by shepp

I am new to cruising and having a hard time understanding how meals work. We are planning an Alaskan cruise on the Grand this summer. From what I understand breakfast and lunch have different dining options and you can go to any place, any time. Is there anything that cost money during those times besides drinks?

Breakfast options:

A dining room will be open for about two hours. The buffet will be open most of the morning. Ships with an Internation Cafe will have breakfast foods available until 11 AM. Also room service. No cost for food at any of these.

Lunch: A dining room will be open on embarkation day and on sea days, usually for 1.5 or 2 hours. The buffet will be open by noon and for most of the afternoon. Ships with an International Cafe will have lunch options available. Some ships have an Alfredo's pizza restaurant that will be open for lunch and into the evning. In the pool area will be a hamburger/hot dog grill, pizza counter, and soft-serve ice cream counter.On one or more sea days there will be a British Pub lunch available in a venue that changes from ship to ship. Also room service No cost for food at any of these except a $3 delivery charge for room service pizza and a charege for gelato at the International Cafe if it has Gelato.

For dinner there is the flexible plan which I assume means you can go to any restaurant when you want. The traditional plan has a set time. If I get the traditional but can't make it at that time what are my options? Can I go to another sit down place or just the buffet? If you have traditional, you will be assigned to a dining room and a table at either around 6 PM or around 8:15 PM. Other options: Alfredo pizza on the ships that have them, International Cafe on the ships that have them, the buffet from about 6 until 11 PM, room service, and the pool area hamburger/hot dog grill, pizza counter, and soft-serve ice cream counter. No cost for food at any of these except a $3 delivery charge for room service pizza and a charge for gelato at the International Cafe if it has Gelato. There are also some specialty restaurants with a $25/person cover charge, a steak house and Sabatini's which serves norther Italian cusine.

With either plan are there limits to how many meals we can have? No limits. Not that we would, but can you get dinner earlier in the evening and then go back later? If you are in traditional dining, you could not go back again later. If you are in anytime, you could. You can also go to any of the other dinner options (such as the buffet) again and again. Is there food available at all times and no limits? Room service and the International Cafe are open 24 hours a day.

What costs money? I got the drinks are extra and there is a specialty restaurant or two, but beyond that? Tap water, regular tea, coffee made from a syrup and milk are at no cost. Brewed coffee (offered at several locations) and specialty coffees and teas have a fee. Juices are at no cost at breakfast, but have a fee at other hours. (Fresh-squeezed OJ has a fee at any time.) Soda has a fee. Bottled water has a fee.

Thanks for the answers. I don't feel Princess's website covers that very well for those that know nothing about cruises.

Go to the Princess website and download the "Cruise Answer Book." It will answer many of your questions and probably make you think of some more.

Edited by caribill

One thing to remember while on your cruise. If you are not sure of something just ask a ships staff person for an answer. That is one of their duties and they probably answer hundreds of questions each day. By not asking you are just limiting your experience to what you are aware of. Read your platter every evening and highlight the things you would like to do or see. You can not do everything on the ship but you can do a great many and have an enjoyable experience.

Have a great cruise and many more in later years.

Congratulations on your first CC post! Check out the Princess Dining Guide.

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/food_dining/Dining_Options.pdf

There used to be one for each ship but now there is only one. You need to check the fine print to see if your ship has a given venue. Except for the fixed time for traditional dining, you can go to any venue as often as you want when they are open. In the dining rooms and specialty restaurants you can order as much as you want of anything on the menu. Remember however that you may need to pack several sizes of clothing ;)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

For dinner there is the flexible plan which I assume means you can go to any restaurant when you want. The traditional plan has a set time. If I get the traditional but can't make it at that time what are my options? Can I go to another sit down place or just the buffet?

With either plan are there limits to how many meals we can have? Not that we would, but can you get dinner earlier in the evening and then go back later? Is there food available at all times and no limits?

What costs money? I got the drinks are extra and there is a specialty restaurant or two, but beyond that?

Welcome to CC! Post often. :)

I like the idea of tradional dining but is am worry about getting there in time from excursions. Is it considered rude to not show up every night or is it common for people to miss a night or two?

Also are there conflicts with show with the traditional dining?

I like the idea of tradional dining but is am worry about getting there in time from excursions. Is it considered rude to not show up every night or is it common for people to miss a night or two?

People frequently miss a night or two due to late excursions or deciding to attend one of the specialty restaurants or not wanting to dress up for formal night. It is thoughtful to notify your waiter the evening before if you know you won't be/might not be eating in the MDR the next evening. It is especially important if you have other folks at your table - you don't want to hold up their service.

Yes, it is okay if you want to eat somewhere else. However, if you know in advance please inform your tables mates and waiter. They will hold up ordering dinner until everyone from the table is there. You don't want to have people wait 20 minutes for you if they don't have too. Last minute changes can be handled by a quick stop at the restaurant informing the M'd. They generally try to have shows so they don't conflict with dinner. So a early performance for the late diners and a late performance for the early diners. If you linger over dessert though, you might not get a seat.

If you come back late from an excursion you have different options. I've known them to seat late comers in the second seating if possible. That's if there is room. Otherwise you can order from room service, go to the buffet, etc. There is also the fee restaurants which are supposed to be much better (although the few times I've used them I didn't feel it was worth it). You won't go hungry. Yes, you can order more then on meal. For example, they have lobster tails. I've seen people order 3 or 4 extras for them.

This is a great chance to try new food items. Order, say veal, to see if you like it but let the waiter know that you aren't sure if you'll like it so have the chicken ready to go. Want two appetizers? Sure, no problem. A sample of all the desserts. No problem. We often do that and share with the table.

In most ports you should have enough time to get ready for first seating dinner after excursions. Back on board time is usually 1 hour before sail time, so if the ship sails at 6, most people are on board by 5.

Usually the shows are scheduled around the traditional dining times so there will be a show for each dining room seating.

On port days when excursions are scheduled to arrive late I've seen all the dining rooms switch to Anytime Dining. It doesn't happen all the time. When it does, it will be announced in the Princess Patter and if your waitstaff is good, they'll let you know the night before.

In most ports you should have enough time to get ready for first seating dinner after excursions. Back on board time is usually 1 hour before sail time, so if the ship sails at 6, most people are on board by 5.
I agree. I just checked the itinerary for the Grand and most days, you'll be back on the ship with plenty of time to shower and change before dinner. There are two exceptions and those are Juneau and Victoria, and chances are there will be open seating those nights in all of the dining rooms.

As you're new to cruising, be aware that if the ship sails at 4pm, you must be back onboard absolutely no later than 3:30pm if the ship is docked, 3pm if its a tender port. That's the latest and you should plan at least a half hour in case of traffic, delays, etc. When a ship arrives in port, the local authorities board and clear the ship and the gangways need to be placed and secured before disembarkation can start. This takes about half an hour. At the other end, the reverse happens: the gangway and shore operations must be reloaded on the ship and the lines thrown before the ship sails. Again, this can take half an hour. If it's a tender port, the tenders need to be lowered and shoreside operations set up at arrival and on departure, they need to be taken back to the ship and the tenders raised and secured. This takes about an hour. So if you go off on your own in port, be very aware of the time and plan accordingly. It's not like catching a bus. :)

Isn't that also the purpose of Cruise Critic?

IMO, the purpose of Cruise Critic is for getting questions answered after you go to the cruise line site and read the FAQs (on Princess, it's the Cruise Answer Book). In fact, before every cruise, I always go to the site and read up on anything new, even if I'm repeating the same ship.

Congratulations on your first CC post! Check out the Princess Dining Guide.

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/food_dining/Dining_Options.pdf

There used to be one for each ship but now there is only one. You need to check the fine print to see if your ship has a given venue. Except for the fixed time for traditional dining, you can go to any venue as often as you want when they are open. In the dining rooms and specialty restaurants you can order as much as you want of anything on the menu. Remember however that you may need to pack several sizes of clothing ;)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I was going to post the same link. It's a good general guide. When you get to your cabin, there will be a Patter there for the first day of the cruise. On the back side, hours for the various venues on your ship will be listed.

We always try for late traditional, and have not have difficulty getting back to the ship for our seating, even in Victoria (we went by our dining room, just to see if the door was closed yet, but were waved in by the head waiter; if we were too late, not a problem to go eat in the Horizon).

Basically:

24 hours: the International Cafe, which isn't an enclosed eatery, but a set of display cases. The server will place your items on a plate, which you can take anywhere (if a table is available there in the Piazza, the Plaza deck; your cabin; up to the pool, etc). No charge. You can buy specialty coffees and hot drinks there and some of the ICs also sell gelato. Not every ship has the IC.

Room service. But a limited menu unless you're in a full suite. Every day, your cabin steward will leave a door tag on which you can list breakfast items. Good to tip the person who's delivering your food. No charge (except if you're ordering pizza on a ship that has an Alfredos).

other choices for Breakfast: the Horizon Court (the buffet, it'll stay open til 11pm and change out meals during the day) and one of the main dining rooms will have open seating.

other choices for lunch: the Horizon Court, a MDR (on sea days), the poolside grill and pizzeria (which will stay open til 11pm), sometimes the Crown Grill (on some ships) will have a pub lunch for no charge, sometimes there'll be a special buffet outside the Horizon by the pool.

other choices for dinner: the MDR (if you have traditional, you'll get a specific seating and table; if you have anytime, you go to one of the AT dining rooms during the time listed). Both types of dining rooms will have the same menu and will have the same dress code (either smart casual or formal).

the Specialty dining rooms, which have a cover charge. You can ask any head waiter or call the dine number on your cabin phone and be able to reserve. If on traditional dining, just inform your waitstaff and fellow tablemates the night before you're eating in Sabatinis or another place.

If you go to the Movies Under the Stars for a nighttime meeting, there's popcorn.

Free lemonade in the Horizon Court most of the day and sometimes in the pool area.

The production shows are scheduled so you can go more easily (unless the schedule has changed in the last 13 months since our last cruise, there's three shows during the evening).