Do you think it is fair for Sanctuary to be booked by B2B passengers PRIOR to cruise?

Dreamer333

As I mentined in my review of the Ruby Princess, my husband and I were among the first to arrive to the port. Because we had priority check-in, we got on board pretty quickly.

So you don't think it's fair that the b2b folks who were already on board got first crack at booking but you DO think it would be fair for you to ace out anybody who didn't have priority boarding?

I, for one, would book the Sanctuary for the full sailing, in a minute. I don't mind paying the extra charge for the guarantee of a reserved place with the extra included service provided. But, there's no way I'm going to run up at 7:00 am to wait on a line to reserve a chair for the day. Nor do I want the pressure of trying to be one of the first to board and then running right up to the Sanctuary to try to get a reservation. So, that aspect is not appealing to me at all.

I think Princess needs to better assess demand and expand the area and staff accordingly.

When we were on the Coral pre-sanctuary, it was used for the kids program during the day, so not adults only. The indoor lotus pool was the adult one, and not the one we are talking about.

The one in the sanctuary is round and about 3 1/2 feet deep. It's good for about 15-20 people max.

I thought that the aft pools on the Island and Coral used to be adults only before they added the Sanctuary to those ships. Once they did, the pools, because of their location, were made off limits to anyone who did not have a pass to the Sanctuary.

It's not staffing, its demand. One the Island for example there are about 40 loungers in the Sanctuary, give or take. If they reserve 20 for full cruise, it doesn't take long for them to go. Adding more than 1 or 2 more chairs is not really an option just due to space...

I kind of like the idea of a lottery, but execution would be challenging I think because of group size (what if I book 4 seats but only win 1?)

I, for one, would book the Sanctuary for the full sailing, in a minute. I don't mind paying the extra charge for the guarantee of a reserved place with the extra included service provided. But, there's no way I'm going to run up at 7:00 am to wait on a line to reserve a chair for the day. Nor do I want the pressure of trying to be one of the first to board and then running right up to the Sanctuary to try to get a reservation. So, that aspect is not appealing to me at all.

I think Princess needs to better assess demand and expand the area and staff accordingly.

Why not do a lotto system like the ship's tour.

That sounds 'fairest' to me because right now, gold or blue level passengers may have little chance given that B2B, elites, suites, and platinum passengers have all boarded before them. It should also be advertised in the Patter so those not tuned into cruise critic would be informed. On Princess' part they would have to announce 'the winners' by the time muster is over (assuming that the Sanctuary is open on embarkation day).

It's not staffing, its demand. One the Island for example there are about 40 loungers in the Sanctuary, give or take. If they reserve 20 for full cruise, it doesn't take long for them to go. Adding more than 1 or 2 more chairs is not really an option just due to space...

There's space for expansion on most of the ships. On the Crown class ships, on deck 17, about half of the forward deck is the Sanctuary and the other half is just an open space with lounge chairs. The Sanctuary could be expanded into that open area doubling its size. The same can be done on deck 16 on the Grand Class ships. Doing this would make the entirety of deck 17 forward on the Crown class ships and deck 16 forward on the Grand Class ships the Sanctuary area.

On the Royal/Regal, what is now the Retreat area, could be incorporated into an expanded Sanctuary. (I know people who don't want to pay for the Sanctuary will not like that idea.) This would also give the Sanctuary on these ships an exclusive pool, adding to the allure. (Again, I know this won't be a popular suggestion.)

Expanding the Sanctuary areas and increasing staff would solve the demand issues and allow them to offer other forms of booking avoiding the need to run up every morning to reserve and the big rush to board and run up right away.

I agree!!!

I had asked about this and they had told me that I could only book for my husband and I. With our friends coming on board for the 2nd sailing, I had asked if I could book for them and charge it to my cabin knowing that they would pay me back later and was told no.
I just said I was booking two loungers and gave my cabin #. I wasn't asked for cabin #s.

One way to control booking issues is to raise the price. I bet that happens soon. After all, they raised the cost on the Royal. While on the Royal, I had to be up there at 6:45am (it was still dark) to get in line for a lounger. Even then, there was already a line. If you really want it, you have the option of getting up early or not.

Edited by Pam in CA

The B2B were NOT B2B for the first cruise, so I'd say they paid their dues and I think it's fair. What probably isn't fair is for me to comment as I don't see the value for the Sanctuary. Maybe if I was on my honeymoon or something special, but it just doesn't appeal to me. I lived in Bali for 2 years. The spa was a stone's throw from my private villa. I went twice. Not my thing.

Part of the experience, as I understand it, is it lacks the distraction and noise of people coming and going all the time. If they increase the size of the sanctuary too much, it will no longer be sanctuary-like.

I think the rules are fair. There's only so many available, so there's not many choices. First come, first served seems the fairest way and if you are B2B, you are going to get perks to go along with that.

I can't see any of these working from a passenger standpoint (revenue, sure).

Removing public loungers, even away from the pool, reduces availability, already an issue on some cruises, and there is no way I would support isolating the adults only pool to paying customers, especially on the Royal/Regal which are short on pool space to begin with.

Raising the price/amenity level to find a balance is probably the best way to go. Make it $40/$50 a day, remove the food delivery service charge and add a mini-buffet or something to the area perhaps (even if just cold fruit, etc)

There's space for expansion on most of the ships. On the Crown class ships, on deck 17, about half of the forward deck is the Sanctuary and the other half is just an open space with lounge chairs. The Sanctuary could be expanded into that open area doubling its size. The same can be done on deck 16 on the Grand Class ships. Doing this would make the entirety of deck 17 forward on the Crown class ships and deck 16 forward on the Grand Class ships the Sanctuary area.

On the Royal/Regal, what is now the Retreat area, could be incorporated into an expanded Sanctuary. (I know people who don't want to pay for the Sanctuary will not like that idea.) This would also give the Sanctuary on these ships an exclusive pool, adding to the allure. (Again, I know this won't be a popular suggestion.)

Expanding the Sanctuary areas and increasing staff would solve the demand issues and allow them to offer other forms of booking avoiding the need to run up every morning to reserve and the big rush to board and run up right away.

Yes take more passenger space. :rolleyes:

First come, first served seems the fairest way and if you are B2B, you are going to get perks to go along with that.

Yes, I agree with you that there should be perks to being a b2b cruiser. I feel that where Princess lacks in this subject is that they should clearly advertise it (being able to book first) as a perk. I saw a couple of people REALLY disappointed. If Princess advertised it as a perk for b2b cruisers, I think some of these people WOULD do b2b 4-nights instead of one 7-night simply to take advantage of this perk.

Not everyone reads cruise critic, so many people aren't prepared to not have a chance to take advantage of the Sactuary.

I saw someone posted that they should also include the information in the Patter, and I think that is a good idea too.

We sailed Princess for the first time so we were blue members and were able to book the sanctuary the morning we embarked for the whole week. We did also happen to be the last couple able to do that. But I wanted to make the point that you don't necessarily have to be elite or have priority boarding to get lucky. I was happily surprised. :) We did take advantage and booked the whole week for the following week as well.

I imagine as others have mentioned the price will likely go up in the future. We really enjoyed it.

HAL has a similar space on some of their ships. We were able to book a cabana in advance (no guarantee on location w/in the retreat area) when we made our cruise reservation. I thought this was quite fair since it wasn't limited to B2B, Elite or Suite passengers only. Everyone had a decent shot at booking a cabana if they booked their cruise early enough.

For us, we wanted a 4 person cabana that was also a corner. I requested it and we got lucky. There are only 4 of the 4 person cabanas, and 2 of those are a corner. So we had a 50% chance of getting it.

Yes take more passenger space. :rolleyes:

People who reserve the Sanctuary are passengers too.

When I used the Sanctuary on the Crown. The "passenger space" on deck 17 forward was largely unused.

Princess knows what the demand is. If there's enough demand they'll either raise the cost to decrease demand or expand the space to take advantage of demand. I'm sure they'll do whatever maximizes revenue, or you would think they would.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

On Celebrity, the price of adult sanctuary is built into the regular cruise ship cost. I was just on the Reflection which is also a huge ship. The sailing was full. I never had problem finding a lounger at all. I think it is misleading advertising on Princess sites regarding the Sanctuary, since most passengers won't be able to use it. If Princess insists on using the adult area as additional source of revenue, then they should simply charge it on a day to day basis by having people's sea card charged at the door. Then whatever lounger is open, that's the one that person gets. As that person leaves, he/she can have return rights for the day, as long as there is an available lounger. Most people have other things to do during the day the using lounger non stop anyway.

But it is definately not fare for back to backers to be able to hog (for lack of another term) the sanctuary for their second week.

If the sanctuary was of the main importance for my upcoming cruise, I would not have booked Princess for use of sanctuary. I feel sorry for first time cruisers who booked on Princess, being enticed by the Sanctuary, and then finding out it isn't available. I would be furious!

Everyone had a decent shot at booking a cabana if they booked their cruise early enough.
This is a great idea as I almost always book my cruises very early. That certainly gives me a great edge. Of course, those who book later or last-minute cruises would be SOOL and think it's unfair.

If I'm not able to book the Sanctuary, I can always find a lounger in the non-main pool area or Conservatory. Not as nice but free.