medicines

PTAngel

I read that you should take all medicines with you in their original bottles with the script on them. I get 90 days worth of pills at a time. The bottles would take up way too much space. I thought why couldn't I get small empty bottles with the script on them. I asked my pharmacist today & they told me to call them with the prescription number & they would make them up for me. They are also giving me blank bottles for my OTC medicines. I just thought other new cruisers might make use of this option to save space in their carry on bag.

I read that you should take all medicines with you in their original bottles with the script on them. I get 90 days worth of pills at a time. The bottles would take up way too much space. I thought why couldn't I get small empty bottles with the script on them. I asked my pharmacist today & they told me to call them with the prescription number & they would make them up for me. They are also giving me blank bottles for my OTC medicines. I just thought other new cruisers might make use of this option to save space in their carry on bag.

Thank you for this tip. I just told my husband and we have added contact pharmacy for smaller bottles to our "to do" list.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I read that you should take all medicines with you in their original bottles with the script on them.... The bottles would take up way too much space....

For flying, yes. Cruise ship personnel do not seem concerned with your medications, not like TSA and such. I have never had any cruise ship crew or staff question me about any of my pills. Now, when I fly, yes I keep my pills in their original containers but since we always take a hotel for one or two nights prior to embarkation, that gives me time to sort them into my 14 day pill container. :) No issue boarding the ship.

Our son is driving us to the port. So no TSA rules & regulations. But I did read we go through security. Even then we have issues since my husband has a pacemaker & can't go through X-Ray and I have an artificial knee that will set off the alarm. I have our cards to verify that.

I have the same thing with my prescriptions as well and I have never taken original pill bottles with me. I count out each Rx and otc drug and pack them in individual snack size bags with a label that says what it is, and what it's for. I carry them in my carry on whether flying or cruising and haven't even been asked to take them out when going through security. that being said, you have a very good idea for someone who feels more comfortable taking each prescription. I guess a lot depends on what you take and what you need it for. Mine are pretty common and easy to get and not controlled substances, which makes a big difference.

Why do the brochures and rules say bring original bottles with script & I hear that I do not need to bring them? This seems like a contradiction, just like no non-alcoholic beverages brought on board then I hear you can bring some. How is a new cruiser supposed to know what to do? We are hearing different messages. I think I would rather be safe than possibly sorry.

Agree with CB --

My husband (a prescribing physician himself) and I travel internationally up to four times a year and domestically a few as well. Between us we swallow 24 pills a day (Rx/OTC/vitamins). We have *never* taken anything in its original container, nor had a copy of the original prescription along with us. Like a few people up-thread, we use the 1 or 2 week pill-minders. We have never had an official even look at them -- not even when we get randomly picked out of the line for a carry-on search nor at the few borders where everyone gets a search.

I think the recommendation to ALWAYS carry the original bottle may have originally had to do with it having the prescription typed on the label, in case you ran out. Or maybe someone's doctor was worried about a particular patient mixing up their meds, and told them that -- and like the "8 glasses of water a day," it's been repeated so often that "everyone" knows it's true.

Edited by crystalspin

I think I would rather be safe than possibly sorry.

Yes, do what you feel comfortable doing, the reason you started this thread. On a message board you will get many different opinions. An opinion isn't necessarily right or wrong, but since you are not flying in this case, hopefully you will believe the word of the experienced cruisers who have helped you in this thread. *I* feel strongly about using the original bottles when flying - cruise port security is way different with much more relaxed rules.

My husband and I are both in our 80s and take lots of RX and OTC pills. We don't take the original bottles. We use the weekly box cases. What would the original bottles prove. If one wants to smuggle pills it would be very easy to exchange bottles.

Here is the correct answer from US Customs and Border Patrol... and since everyone who exits the ship passes thru Customs it is up to you to decide if you wish to abide or not....

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/67

Can I travel with medications and medical devices, such as needles or oxygen tanks?

Prescription medications should be in their original containers with the doctor's prescription printed on the container. It is advised that you travel with no more than personal use quantities, a rule of thumb is no more than a 90 day supply. If your medications or devices are not in their original containers, you must have a copy of your prescription with you or a letter from your doctor. A valid prescription or doctors note is required on all medication entering the U.S.

The FDA is responsible for pharmaceutical admissibility determinations. If you have any questions as to whether a specific pharmaceutical may be imported into the United States, please contact the FDA, Division of Import Operations and Policy, at (301) 796-0356. Contact FDA.

If you are traveling with medical devices such as needles or oxygen tanks that could pose a security or safety concern to others, be sure to have a copy of the prescription for those items from your doctor. You should also contact the Transportation Security Administration about any additional requirements they may have.

It looks like I'm not going completely crazy. I originally felt this was another option that I wanted to share. I already picked up the smaller bottles so I will go with them but next time I will probably just go with my weekly pillbox. Thanks for the feedback.

It looks like I'm not going completely crazy. I originally felt this was another option that I wanted to share. I already picked up the smaller bottles so I will go with them but next time I will probably just go with my weekly pillbox. Thanks for the feedback.

This is fine unless any of your medications are controlled substances (US DEA Schedule II meds, such as pain or stimulant meds). If you have any of those bring the original bottle! It is sooo much easier than having to explain them otherwise.

I would recommend that you take more pills of each prescription than you will actually need. That is, if on a 7 night cruise don't just take 7 pills. What happens if you drop one down the drain or onto the floor by the toilet? :eek:

Also, unexpected delays can happen. A few cruises ago we talked to a lady whose husband had taken ill on the ship and when they returned to port in Fort Lauderdale he was admitted to hospital. She had been staying in the same hotel we were in pre-cruise, for the past week and a half. And it looked like he would be in hospital for a few more days before he would be able to travel home to Eastern Canada. She told us that she was very thankful that she had several weeks of pills with her as it was one less problem to worry about. Ever since that conversation we have always taken at least an extra week or two worth of medications.

This is fine unless any of your medications are controlled substances (US DEA Schedule II meds, such as pain or stimulant meds). If you have any of those bring the original bottle! It is sooo much easier than having to explain them otherwise.

Yes. That is important.

I don't think it was mentioned, but you should always have a list of your medications with you whether travelling or not. I keep mine on my cell phone, and another in my wallet. God forbid, you never know when you may have an emergency and be sent to the hospital, where they will definitely want to know.

As for carrying your pills in the original bottles, we've done it sometimes, and other times not. For a recent cruise sailing from Sydney, we took them. Australia's guidelines about that are quite specific. They also suggest you have a letter from your physician listing the medications. Our doctors were happy to supply it, and now we take that letter with us on all overseas trips, just in case.

We always carry ours in the original bottles. I also have a note on my smart phone with the pharmacy contact information, list of medications, dosage, perscription number, doctor contact information, pacemaker information, etc. Luggage gets lost and/or stollen. Since my phone is ALWAYS with me I have the information to get refills. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

As for security, I just point to the pacemaker and get waved around for the hand search so answering questions/concerns is easy.

I also have a note on my smart phone with the pharmacy contact information, list of medications, dosage, perscription number, doctor contact information, pacemaker information, etc. Luggage gets lost and/or stollen. Since my phone is ALWAYS with me I have the information to get refills. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

You can also have your doctor print out a note with your medications, dosages, purposes, notes, etc, for you. Make sure he/she uses the chemical name or International Nonproprietary Name instead of or in addition to the brand name (ie: acetaminophen or paracetamol rather than tylenol).

I have never taken original bottles and never had a problem. BTW in response to another post, when we visited Australia we used our normal no bottle routine w/o difficulty.

DON

We had the opposite experience twice in Australia. Both times they wanted to see our prescription meds. We answered 'yes' on the entry form that asked if you were carrying any, and got into the line that was for people who had items to declare. The irony is that our line was very short, they took a quick look at our bottles, and we were out the door long before the people in the 'nothing to declare' line.

If you are not carrying luggage through TSA or customs in any foreign port, then you're fine without original containers. If we're going through TSA, I have any controlled substance meds (such as Ambien or pain meds) in their original containers. If you are carrying prescriptions through a foreign port, then check the regulations for that country. We've read on CC that some Far East countries can be very restrictive with prescriptions meds, especially Dubai.

After 16 cruises and another one planned for June in the Med, with a few days pre and post cruise, I take my original bottles. Just in case. I don't want to be the exception and run into a delay or trying to get prescriptions called in to Europe. I also scan a copy of the sheet from the pharmacy and put it in a e-mail attachment to myself. Should my phone get lost, I have access from any internet cafe. I do the same with a copy of my passport, DL and credit cards (back and front), as a pre-caution, should they get lost or stolen. Having it on the phone is great until that gets lost or stolen. I also make a copy of any private excursions and documents. I make a paper copy of our itinerary that includes phone numbers, dates, etc. for hotels, cruise and put it in top inside each piece of luggage in case it gets separated from us, they can know where we are each day. I put my cell phone number at the top of it so they can contact me.

Our son is driving us to the port. So no TSA rules & regulations. But I did read we go through security. Even then we have issues since my husband has a pacemaker & can't go through X-Ray and I have an artificial knee that will set off the alarm. I have our cards to verify that.

My father (with a pacemaker) cruised with us last year. The issue with the security scanner and pacemakers was that some older models could, on occasion, interfere with the operation of the pacemaker. The newer scanners are much safer and newer pacemakers are not as susceptible. His doctor and the pacemaker company said it wouldn't be a problem to go through. But to be safe, just notify the security person and they will have your husband go around and either hand wand or probably give a quick pat down. They do this all the time. At some cruise terminals, they have a separate line for this. No one has ever asked him for a card.

• 1 month later...

In the event of a medical emergency onboard, having the medications in the original bottles is extremely helpful for the onboard physicians to identify the medications you are using.

There are so many medications that look similar and if you are unable to answer the medical staff as to what you take. Going through a book trying to identify random pills takes time which may interfere with any emergency treatment.

Also each country may have different shapes or colors of medications. What might be a white pill in the US may be a pink pill from Europe and a yellow pill in Asia.

This is just an opinion from a ER nurse who has had to do this several times in emergency situations.

Better to be safe than sorry.

In the event of a medical emergency onboard, having the medications in the original bottles is extremely helpful for the onboard physicians to identify the medications you are using.

There are so many medications that look similar and if you are unable to answer the medical staff as to what you take. Going through a book trying to identify random pills takes time which may interfere with any emergency treatment.

Also each country may have different shapes or colors of medications. What might be a white pill in the US may be a pink pill from Europe and a yellow pill in Asia.

This is just an opinion from a ER nurse who has had to do this several times in emergency situations.

Better to be safe than sorry.

That's not something I would have thought about. We always carry DH's prescriptions in the original bottle with the label. He has one that comes in a 90 day supply and I just remove the label and put it on a smaller bottle - works fine.