Sleeping arrangement for 4 in room?

wilson4

Hi

I am planning our first cruise with RCL and wonder if anyone would please tell me how the sofa bed opens up - is it a double bed or does it split? We are a family of 4 with twin boy and girl in their early teens. We have travelled on Celebrity's Solstice class and their sofa bed has a bottom part that pulls out so they are next to each other but not in together. This has been a great arrangement for us and very cost effective. However there is no way they would sleep together in a double. I realise it might vary by ship but any advice would be really welcome.

Hi

I am planning our first cruise with RCL and wonder if anyone would please tell me how the sofa bed opens up - is it a double bed or does it split? We are a family of 4 with twin boy and girl in their early teens. We have travelled on Celebrity's Solstice class and their sofa bed has a bottom part that pulls out so they are next to each other but not in together. This has been a great arrangement for us and very cost effective. However there is no way they would sleep together in a double. I realise it might vary by ship but any advice would be really welcome.

You need to check the deck plans on the ship you are interested in to see how the stateroom categories are configured.

Some sleep four in the two standard single beds that can be joined as a queen plus a double sofa bed. Some are configured with Murphy beds that come down from the ceiling. Some are combinations of both.

The Murphy beds IMO are the most comfortable option and probably the best configuration for your family. Check with RCI or your TA for assistance on identifying and locating the staterooms configured with the Murphy beds.

RCI also offers family staterooms that can sleep up to six in a combination of the standard beds, a double sofa bed, and two bunk style beds in a separate room. Still only has one bathroom but they are very spacious and work well for families.

Yes..check the deck plans for cabins with 3rd and 4th pullman beds, or one with sofa bed and pullman....The deck plans show what kind of bedding is in every cabin.

When you book, make sure you have the deck plans in front of you!

May I offer a suggestion? We had 4 in a room on Freedom of the seas when our boys were 10 & 11 and it was a very tight squeeze. We were in an oceanview room with 2 pullman beds - which were very comfortable by the way.

Anyway, for our next cruise we looked into the option of 2 connecting rooms. Turns out it was only $200 more total so we jumped on it. You get an extra bathroom, extra closet and storage, and privacy! I'm not sure if you realize just how tiny the rooms are especially with older children. I would definitely look into 2 rooms...you'd be surprised how cost effective it can be.

May I offer a suggestion? We had 4 in a room on Freedom of the seas when our boys were 10 & 11 and it was a very tight squeeze. We were in an oceanview room with 2 pullman beds - which were very comfortable by the way.

Anyway, for our next cruise we looked into the option of 2 connecting rooms. Turns out it was only $200 more total so we jumped on it. You get an extra bathroom, extra closet and storage, and privacy! I'm not sure if you realize just how tiny the rooms are especially with older children. I would definitely look into 2 rooms...you'd be surprised how cost effective it can be.

I agree. Do the math...the extra full bathroom is priceless!! They have connecting inside cabins which may bring the cost down if you had balcony our ocean view.

Thanks for all the advice. I will certainly check out the cost of adjoining rooms - I might be pleasantly surprised, and I will have the deck plans to hand and try to identify the pullman options. The room was tight at night with Celebrity but it was fine and we were able to get a guarantee which we could not if we went for 2 rooms.

The cost combinations vary hugely. When we went on the Royal Princess last year, it worked out far cheaper to get a second inside room opposite a balcony, than to all go in one room.

I thought I had read somewhere that the sofa on RCL split in half to make separate beds but perhaps I dreamt that.

We always do 4 in a room, my boys are now 15 & 17.

On the deck plans usually it's the + sign that has the 3rd & 4th Pullman. This is really the best option since they're out of the way during the day.

I think the Diamond shape is the sofa bed & Pullman option. We had that configuration on Celebrity Reflection this summer & that was ok. These rooms seem to be harder to find.

Avoid the triangle - those are the ones with only a sofa bed.

It seems like the older ships have more rooms with the Pullmans.

I agree with this poster. You have the same issue that I do, I have one boy and one girl and after a certain point you don't really (and they don't either) want them to be sleeping together. Connecting rooms were great. And if I didn't want to look at their stuff on the floor, instead of picking it up like I did when we were all together, I just shut the door. the kids absolutely loved having their own room. We love each other but all need a little bit of space. :)

If you can't find two connecting rooms, look for a room with a pullman and a sofa bed.

Another vote for 2 cabins. We did the 4 in 1 once. Just once.

The thing I liked least was the way they had to completely changed the room at night. We also didn't have the best steward and sometimes it wouldn't get changed back to "day mode" until pretty late, and it was hard to move around cabin with the beds down (this was a different line.)

I'd honestly prefer to cruise slightly less often with 2 cabins each time.

And of course DW and I like the privacy, that's worth the extra money right there!!! :) ;) :)

Just off Grandeur where we were in an inside with 2 pull down beds, the bed was never "put away." I didn't even realize that was an option. (We were traveling with a 5 year old, who still naps, so putting it away was not the best option for us anyway.) I'm not sure I would want the 4th person in the room...

Just looked at the deck plans for Quantum Class and there are no pullmans for balcony staterooms !!!!

There is also a distinct lack of insides opposite balconies - there are some but the majority of insides face other insides.

There are however quite a lot connecting balconies!!

This is probably the way forward.

Just looked at the deck plans for Quantum Class and there are no pullmans for balcony staterooms !!!!

There is also a distinct lack of insides opposite balconies - there are some but the majority of insides face other insides.

There are however quite a lot connecting balconies!!

This is probably the way forward.

RCI says.. show me the money