Pinnacle Class Rendering

eroller

I'm pretty sure this is a done deal. HAL has been very busy designing the interiors and perhaps a few renderings might find their way public before too long.

The delivery date was pushed back from late 2015 to early 2016 (Feb 15, 2016), so of course anything is possible between now and then

Ernie

I'm going to take a wait and see approach on this one. That keel has been lying there for several years.

Once we see actual construction begin, I may become more optimistic. Two years away, they are going to have get started soon. If not, it's not going to happen.

We were told by the man who'll help deliver the ship it'll be similar to the Signature class, just a bit larger and a few more dining options. Promenade deck will extremely likely be there, it is a HAL trademark.

The outside elevators can go in lieu of quite a number if cabins, that makes sense.

The Tamarind is moving due to vibration issues and the fact is really out of the way and this lacks foot traffic from most.

I'm going to take a wait and see approach on this one. That keel has been lying there for several years.

Once we see actual construction begin, I may become more optimistic. Two years away, they are going to have get started soon. If not, it's not going to happen.

First steel was cut today.

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/fincantieri-cuts-steel-for-99500gt-holland-america-newbuild.html

Very true about the Luminosa - they are now adding Costa's "signature detail": the magrodome is two decks high (it's one deck high on HAL ships).

The Lido pool will have less open feel, but IMO overall it's an improvement.

The only visible improvement so far! I would also mention more shade on the aft pool deck.

The loss of the promenade deck is a catastrophe. It momentarily changes the the whole character of the ship and the quality of the product.

Not only a single most distinctive feature of a cruise ship and a fantastic experience is lost, but also precious open deck space.

How spacious is promenade deck on the Signature class?

It's as little as to accommodate all the passengers for muster station drill!

It's also a great place passengers enjoy during the day.

Note larger capacity of the Pinnacle class....

Where shall they go now?

Upper decks!

Welcome to MSC and Celebrity!

Currently HAL Signature class ships are oases of the seas (literally).

Reduce open deck space, add more passengers and get .....:confused:

Lost opportunity: forward observation deck. The Spirit class has a proper observation deck that is located where it should be.

The Signature class observation deck is a kind of a compromise.

Now there is a good opportunity to take care of the place that hurts...

Lost!

Switching places of Tamarind&Sun deck and Sports Court.

Probably more convenient for the galley&stuff.

The sun deck is now closer to the pool, but loses it's exceptional spaciousness and private feel.

The new project as it's seen now suffers painful losses that will automatically cost it one star out of five.

However, unlike the Royal Princess it's not a tutorial "How to Kill Princess".

The ship still has its merits and also some internal innovations are expected.

Let's hope.

But!

Those who are working on the new project (if they want to build a classy resort ship despite all the "trends") have to remember that what is allowed for bulls is not allowed for Jupiter. :)

The rendering has been out for a while:

pinnacle_530x280.jpg

No promenade deck.

And along with a passenger capacity of 3152, I'll pass! :rolleyes:

And along with a passenger capacity of 3152, I'll pass! :rolleyes:
To use one of your favorite phrases, "please cite a reliable source" for that figure. All sources I've seen say 2,660 double occupancy, which is how capacity is usually quoted. Here is CC's article:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5327

Edited by catl331

To use one of your favorite phrases, "please cite a reliable source" for that figure. All sources I've seen say 2,660 double occupancy, which is how capacity is usually quoted. Here is CC's article: [/size]

3152 is the total pax capacity, including triples and quads.

Still a bit big for me.

The photo at the beginning of this thread looks to me like the lifeboats are in the normal HAL location. Let's hope so!

Then, I wonder what is the point of saying that it will "accommodate up to 3152 pax"?
Maybe the total including all triples and quads is greater than 3152, and 3152 is what is allowed? BTW - I just re-read the article and saw the 3152 figure that Ward quoted. I missed that the first time. :o :o Sorry. Edited by catl331

To use one of your favorite phrases, "please cite a reliable source" for that figure. All sources I've seen say 2,660 double occupancy, which is how capacity is usually quoted. Here is CC's article: [/size]

www.seatrade-insider.com/news

My guess is that you did not see this link on Post #1 of the Thead entitled: 'Steel is cut'! :p

3152 is the total pax capacity, including triples and quads.

Still a bit big for me.

The photo at the beginning of this thread looks to me like the lifeboats are in the normal HAL location. Let's hope so!

The lifeboats in the photo are not in the normal HAL (and cruise ship) position. Unfortunately.

The capacity is 2,660 as published so far.

This is double occupancy - the normal capacity number that is used in comparisons.

Total 3,162 is "for our information".

Signature class - 2100

Pinnacle Class - 2660

The twenty lifeboats/tenders of Hull 6241 (the first Pinnacle class vessel) will be semi-recessed alongside the hull, similar but not the same to the Norwegian Epic concept. (Epic’s life boats are housed clear of the ship, "overboard" on the side of the hull). That doesn't mean there won't be a (Lower) Promenade "walk-around" deck. There will be a deck for pax/crew to embark those same lifeboats/tenders! It's just a bit too early to tell what it will look like and these first artist/computer-generated images do not clearly show it.[/font]

The twenty lifeboats/tenders of Hull 6241 (the first Pinnacle class vessel) will be semi-recessed alongside the hull, similar but not the same to the Norwegian Epic concept. (Epic’s life boats are housed clear of the ship, "overboard" on the side of the hull). That doesn't mean there won't be a (Lower) Promenade "walk-around" deck. There will be a deck for pax/crew to embark those same lifeboats/tenders! It's just a bit too early to tell what it will look like and these first artist/computer-generated images do not clearly show it.[/font]

They will not be like EPIC, and more along the lines of those on ROYAL PRINCESS, MSC DIVINA, and the Celebrity Solstice Class. On these ships, the lifeboats basically sit on the deck with no room to walk underneath them (just a small mustering space behind them). On the EPIC and Oasis Class with Royal Caribbean, the boats are actually attached to the outside of the hull and protrude outward from the hull hanging off the side (which you mentioned). In both cases the view from any form of Promenade Deck is blocked by boats. The Dream Class with Carnival and the Breakaway Class with NCL has a similar arrangement, but on these classes of ships a separate promenade deck was built above the boats offering a completely unobstructed view of the sea.

Because of the boats likely being "nestled" on the Pinnacle Class, it's likely there will only be a small walkway behind them, with no views. There may be some small areas midship and aft where there is no obstruction due to a break in the row of lifeboats. This is basically how it is on the MSC DIVINA, ROYAL PRINCESS, and the Solstice Class. The benefit to the cruise line is an entire additional deck of balcony cabins. Lots of revenue potential over the life of the ship, but not great for passengers who like a traditional promenade deck.

They will not be like EPIC, and more along the lines of those on ROYAL PRINCESS, MSC DIVINA, and the Celebrity Solstice Class. On these ships, the lifeboats basically sit on the deck with no room to walk underneath them (just a small mustering space behind them). On the EPIC and Oasis Class with Royal Caribbean, the boats are actually attached to the outside of the hull and protrude outward from the hull hanging off the side (which you mentioned). In both cases the view from any form of Promenade Deck is blocked by boats. The Dream Class with Carnival and the Breakaway Class with NCL has a similar arrangement, but on these classes of ships a separate promenade deck was built above the boats offering a completely unobstructed view of the sea.

Because of the boats likely being "nestled" on the Pinnacle Class, it's likely there will only be a small walkway behind them, with no views. There may be some small areas midship and aft where there is no obstruction due to a break in the row of lifeboats. This is basically how it is on the MSC DIVINA, ROYAL PRINCESS, and the Solstice Class. The benefit to the cruise line is an entire additional deck of balcony cabins. Lots of revenue potential over the life of the ship, but not great for passengers who like a traditional promenade deck.

Me thinks it's too early to tell by the renderings that are out at the moment

Because of the boats likely being "nestled" on the Pinnacle Class, it's likely there will only be a small walkway behind them, with no views.

Are you describing something like the Oceania Riviera, where there are only emergency exits to the "boat" deck, with a narrow walkway to the escape vessel?

OK - I know the rendering is not specific and that it is too early to know for sure.

But no promenade deck is a deal breaker for me. HAL are you listening?

I have close to 400 days on HAL. I break out in hives from too much sun. The promenade deck has always been an oasis for me. I can be out either walking or sitting in the outdoors but not in the direct sun. Enough space to be able to usually find a deck chair. If I cannot easily commune, in the shade, with the sea it is not a satisfactory cruise. I cruise rather than go to resorts specifically because of that promenade deck.

In 2012 we took a lovely cruise on Seabourn but the lack of shaded outdoor space on that ship made it a "no go" for me.

A private balcony is nice but not the same as the promenade.

Some of my most wonderful memories have occurred on HAL's promenade decks. I watched that group of penguins slide off that "bergie bit" in Antarctica from the Promenade aboard the Prinsendam. In the south seas, aboard the Amsterdam, I sat in one of the classic wooden deck chairs watching a double rainbow that extended out to the ship itself ... I could virtually touch it with my hand.

This possibility makes me sad. Much more sad, even, than the prospect of being "at one with the sea" and some 3000 other passengers. A factory, not a ship!

Edited by arzz