Smart casual for men

Jolucy

We are first time cruisers and I am trying to figure out what my husband should wear in the evenings. He has tons of suits, and when he's not wearing them, he is in jeans and shirts. I need ideas for something in between. He's 30 and it seems like everything I've seen is either for older men or more hipster. He is not got to wear skinnier pants, colored jeans or cardigans. He's a little more rugged, but like classic clothes. Thanks for any suggests.

I think a lot may depend on the cruise line and to the location to which one is traveling.

But when I have traveled with males, whom are around that age, they have worn ; long sleeve button down shirts ( something with some interest not necessarily what one would wear with a suit to work), slacks or fitted khakis, and sometimes a blazer or sports coat (depending on the location and what I was wearing :))

Sometimes they add a pair of cuff links and cute shoes (however I don't think THEY would use the term cute :D...so .....nice shoes :) )

tmee

To me, smart casual = "country club" casual. What the men were allowed to wear at my country club: golf pants (i.e, chinos, linen pants), polo shirts, Tommy Bahama button shirts (LOVE 'EM on a guy!!!). That would be for the dining room. For out on the course, add Bermuda-length shorts. I'd transfer that same stuff to a cruise for a guy.

Tommy Bahama has some really nice pants for men, too!

I think a lot may depend on the cruise line and to the location to which one is traveling.

But when I have traveled with males, whom are around that age, they have worn ; long sleeve button down shirts ( something with some interest not necessarily what one would wear with a suit to work), slacks or fitted khakis, and sometimes a blazer or sports coat (depending on the location and what I was wearing :))

Sometimes they add a pair of cuff links and cute shoes (however I don't think THEY would use the term cute :D...so .....nice shoes :) )

tmee

This sounds very much like what my son (21) would wear and did wear on our recent Celebrity cruise. Celebrity seemed dressier than some lines I've been on; there were not that many folks wearing just a short-sleeve polo-type knit collared shirt, for example. Far more jackets even on smart casual evenings.

DH wears Dockers, khakis or linen pants - depending on the climate.

He'll wear either a golf shirt, long-sleeved button-down shirt (striped, plaid or check), or on the rare occasion a "Mexican wedding shirt". He doesn't wear short-sleeved dress shirts because I think they look geeky. ;)

For shoes he wears leather slip ons, deck shoes or leather moccasins - again, depending on the climate.

I sure as Hell don't want to pack my tux for only one or two nights on HAL's Statendam Alaska cruise. Maybe a very stoopid questions, but do any of HAL's ships rent tux's? ( I don't even wanna back a sport coat, but I guess that's a given...........)

I sure as Hell don't want to pack my tux for only one or two nights on HAL's Statendam Alaska cruise. Maybe a very stoopid questions, but do any of HAL's ships rent tux's? ( I don't even wanna back a sport coat, but I guess that's a given...........)

Chances are good that they do rent tuxedos. We don't sail HAL so I can't answer definitively. If you don't get a response here, maybe post directly on the HAL forum or check their website?

Two pair of Dockers style, one tan, one black, a few polos that go with either pair of pants, black loafers, done. Not sure what is so hard about that.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Almost exactly what DH packs, only vairations in color scheme. Oh, maybe a few short sleeve button shirts. Last HAL cruise we never even went into the MDR.

Edited by SadieN