Caribbean Princess Dining Room Dress Code

airlinerob

I find that the first formal night is "more formal" on most cruises. I have a long silk black and white gown that scrunches down to nothing, doesn't wrinkle and is great for the first formal night. Hubby wears dark pants, white shirt and dark jacket .... he also tries to get out of the cabin without a tie, but I insist ....cruising is his choice, so follow a decent code....it is part of cruising. Second formal night I wear either the LBD with more bling to dress it up, or a pair of dress pants, sparkly top and dressy shoes. All things have to travel well in a suitcase ..... no space hogs.

You can dress nice without having to pack a lot of extras .... just good planning

p.s. It was my first time to Houston (or Texas for that matter) and I kept looking for cowboy hats and was so disappointed not to see any guys wearing them .... only ones I saw were on the dashboards of their trucks. You guys look so cool wearing those hats ..... why has the custom been dropped?

The number of true ranchers and those who work on ranches is decreasing as the population shifts to the larger cities. The stetson hat (commonly called cowboy hat) is a bit pricey, hard to wear in public in that when it is removed, there is little places to safely place it and in general impractical. We do have our share of "drugstore cowboys" which are those that live in the city and have seldom if ever been on a ranch. Texas is rapidly becoming urbanized.

Why should the dress code be dumbed down? It is very well published what the dining room dress code is. If you don't like it cruise on Carnival out of Galveston.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Here we go again.

And now we descend to the point where people think they can tell others which cruise line to take. Next will be others telling people that they have to buy a tux so go to Goodwill or somewhere else and spend your money on something you do not want or need.

Thank you for the popcorn and someone please get the drinks.

Edited by Potstech

Here we go again.

And now we descend to the point where people think they can tell others which cruise line to take. Next will be others telling people that they have to buy a tux so go to Goodwill or somewhere else and spend your money on something you do not want or need.

Thank you for the popcorn and someone please get the drinks.

The buffet and other dining venues on Lido have no dress code other then no swim suits, so there are plenty of places to get food if one does not want to partake in the dining room dress code. Its as simple as that really.

Other lines have a much more relaxed dress code, so if folks dont want to dress up there are lines which allow that. My point is, there are published rules that some feel don't apply to them. I don't think it is right to dumb down to the lowest common denominator, but thats just MHO.

My take on this never ending question... The Princess site says to dress as you would for a nice dinner in your home (or words similar to that). Our town is pretty casual and most anything is acceptable, HOWEVER, I don't believe that is the intent of the Princess request. I think it's fun to dress up (smart casual and formal) BECAUSE I'm not at home.

Therein lies the problem; Princess should take out the "keeping with what would be worn to a nice restaurant at home" language and just go with the stated policy and the examples. Then we'd (hopefully) stop having these "Well, where I come from, formal wear is a Kermit the Frog costume and 24 inch clown shoes. Is that acceptable on Princess for formal night?" threads.

Was just on Caribbean Princess on 1/11.

Saw a few jeans in the main dining room on smart casual nights, but not very many.

Did not see any men wearing large hats in the dining room. Did see some worn around the ship during the day.

There were a couple of people wearing dress shirts and slacks on formal night, but not many. Most were in suits. Was actually surprised by the number of tuxedos. Higher then I expected around 20% I would estimate.

This has been my experience on the 3 Princess cruises out of Galveston.

If one opts not to wear a jacket to formal night, you will be in the <5% group of men on the ship. I have only seen a man with jeans once on formal night, and he was in a complete western gentleman outfit including western tie, long sleeve cowboy shirt, Stetson, and cowboy boots. His dress with jeans, boots, and Stetson was consistent throughout the cruise - and these were definitely "Sunday, Go to Meetin'" duds for formal night.

Live it up and join the atmosphere that Princess is providing for a romantic evening. You might find you like it.

The buffet and other dining venues on Lido have no dress code other then no swim suits, so there are plenty of places to get food if one does not want to partake in the dining room dress code. Its as simple as that really.

Other lines have a much more relaxed dress code, so if folks dont want to dress up there are lines which allow that. My point is, there are published rules that some feel don't apply to them. I don't think it is right to dumb down to the lowest common denominator, but thats just MHO.

And other lines have a much stricter enforcement of their guidlines. Those who wish to cruise like that could use them. They might be happier cruising under these stricter rules I don' t think its right for others ti try and force their standards o others. Princess allows it and that is all that matters. And that is the way it is.

Pass the chips and dip please.

Edited by Potstech

Therein lies the problem; Princess should take out the "keeping with what would be worn to a nice restaurant at home" language and just go with the stated policy and the examples. Then we'd (hopefully) stop having these "Well, where I come from, formal wear is a Kermit the Frog costume and 24 inch clown shoes. Is that acceptable on Princess for formal night?" threads.

If you have to ask then probably no. :rolleyes: :D :cool:

I was amused to see this question pop up on Emily Post today:

Attire Police: Should I report someone who is not following the cruise ship dress code?

Q: Regarding dress on a cruise, is it appropriate to point out to the maitre d’ someone who is not dressed according to the guidelines of the cruise ship?

A: No, it is really not your business and you have to believe that the maitre d’ knows this and will deal with it in his own way. Unless the cruise line has appointed you the attire warden, you do not comment on anyone else’s form of dress.

http://www.etiquettedaily.com/2014/02/attire-police-should-i-report-someone-who-is-not-following-the-cruise-ship-dress-code/#sthash.a0SeqirL.dpuf