Caribbean Princess Dining Room Dress Code

airlinerob

In one word...yes.

Most of the pax will be from Texas or Oklahoma where jeans are what we wear all the time to church, restaurants, theater, etc. You will see a lot of pax in jeans when departing a Texas cruise port. Living here I see no problem wearing jeans and I do it all the time. I will be wearing jeans in the MDR at dinner on all nights except formal.

The other habit here is to wear a hat when inside like a restaurant. It comes from years gone by when men wore large hats generally refered to as cowboy hats. There was no safe place to put them, so men wore them inside. You may see men wearing some type of hat while seated at dinner in the MDR. That though seems to be decreasing.

Edited by satxdiver

Sometimes we wonder if folks ask dress code questions to bait folks into an online argument. So, for those that do not know how to use the Princess web site here info on the cruise line's interpretation of their dress code:

Smart Casual

Passenger attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

•Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies

•Pants and open-neck shirts for men

Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

•Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women

•Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

Hank

I'm asking because (from experience on other cruise lines), docker pants, button down shirts and ties are "acceptable" for formal night on nearly all lines.
It depends on the Maitre d'. Most will allow you to be seated, some will ask you to change. The bottom line is that even for a cruise out of Houston, you can probably get away with dockers and button down pants on formal nights but you'll be very much in the minority. The majority of passengers respect the dress request. When I cruised out of Galveston a year ago on the Crown, that was the case.

Last question -

Is a dress shirt, tie and docker style pants acceptable for formal night on Princess?

I don't usually bring my suit.

Here we go again.

YES It is acceptable by the Cruise line. And that is all that matters. Enjoy your cruise.

We were on the Caribbean Princess this past fall to Canada. Our first Princess cruise also. I was nervous about DH wearing his dress slacks, long sleeve dress shirt, tie and a very nice vest. We saw suits, shirts & slacks, and can honestly say only maybe 1 or 2 tuxes. It was about even suits to just men wearing slacks, shirts, & tie. You will be fine.

We enjoyed our cruise and we liked Princess!!

We're on this cruise in a couple of weeks (Feb 15th) and plan jeans + collared shirts in the MDR on regular nights and dockers/dress shirt/tie on formal nights.

After lugging a couple of suites etc on a 41 night cruise last Fall - no more.

Have not been on Princess, we are going 3-29. What I normally wear to the dining room is jeans (nice, usually new) and open neck shirt. (no t-shirts) On formal nights I weare jeans (usually new & black) white shirt, tie and sport jacket. Sometimes a suit. I would never show up in ragged clothes or shorts. Except on the 1st. night which is usually very casual.

Doug

Short answer is yes. One formal night I wore a suit and the other I wore as you were asking. No one fainted or choked on their dinners. Some folks enjoy dressing to the nines. Others have to for work and like to relax on vacation.

Well said!

Was just on Caribbean Princess on 1/11.

Saw a few jeans in the main dining room on smart casual nights, but not very many.

Did not see any men wearing large hats in the dining room. Did see some worn around the ship during the day.

There were a couple of people wearing dress shirts and slacks on formal night, but not many. Most were in suits. Was actually surprised by the number of tuxedos. Higher then I expected around 20% I would estimate.

Have not been on Princess, we are going 3-29. What I normally wear to the dining room is jeans (nice, usually new) and open neck shirt. (no t-shirts) On formal nights I weare jeans (usually new & black) white shirt, tie and sport jacket. Sometimes a suit. I would never show up in ragged clothes or shorts. Except on the 1st. night which is usually very casual.

Doug

Jeans might be pushing it for formal nights in the main dining room, even if nice and new. I did bring a pair of black skinny jeans on my last cruise (usually I don't bring jeans, unless I know there's going to be cool weather, but I'll change for dinner into a dress or skirt) and managed to look spiffy with the right top for the MDR. But if we don't feel like putting on something nicer on formal nights (I don't do glitzy gowns but will wear cocktail dresses), we'll go to the Horizon (the buffet) without a complaint.

I live in West Texas and although I am not a rancher it is not unusual to see a rancher (cowboy) dressed formally in starched wranglers, a western shirt with a string tie with a coat and their cowboy hat and boots. They look as formal as those wearing tuxes.

Since I am not a cowboy I carry my tux to comply with Princess' suggestion. I have observed many men in nice short sleeve shirts and some with long sleeves with a tie. Doesn't bother me a bit the way they dress but that doesn't make it right. I have seen some turned away but rarely. So, the best thing to do is what you think is right. I doubt it will really bother anybody.

Hi,

I went on a Carnival cruise out of Galveston, and jeans were the norm in the dining room (and customary in Texas).

Is it the same way out of Houston on the Caribbean Princess?

Robert

CARNIVAL <> PRINCESS - no matter what port sailing from nor ship sailing on.

That said "dress" jeans are accepted on regular nights in the dining room where the code is Smart Casual. Not a good idea on formal nights. Pam gave you a link, but the style is just different overall on Princess for sure.

Sometimes we wonder if folks ask dress code questions to bait folks into an online argument. So, for those that do not know how to use the Princess web site here info on the cruise line's interpretation of their dress code:

Smart Casual

Passenger attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

•Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies

•Pants and open-neck shirts for men

Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

•Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women

•Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

Hank

I'd add for women that dress pants/slacks with dressed up tops and maybe a jacket if so inclined is also perfectly acceptable on formal nights. It's dress up time and there are different ways to do it other than the gown route.

Me, I'm partial to seeing my wife and women in those cocktail dresses. LEGS LEGS and more LEGS!!!! :cool::D

I live in West Texas and although I am not a rancher it is not unusual to see a rancher (cowboy) dressed formally in starched wranglers, a western shirt with a string tie with a coat and their cowboy hat and boots. They look as formal as those wearing tuxes.

Since I am not a cowboy I carry my tux to comply with Princess' suggestion. I have observed many men in nice short sleeve shirts and some with long sleeves with a tie. Doesn't bother me a bit the way they dress but that doesn't make it right. I have seen some turned away but rarely. So, the best thing to do is what you think is right. I doubt it will really bother anybody.

IMO, if I saw a gentlemen in the DR on a formal night in "dress" clothes with a bolo tie and a dress Stetson (like JR Ewing, but maybe not that expensive, LOL), I would consider him formally dressed no different than a gentleman arriving in a dress kilt.

IMO, if I saw a gentlemen in the DR on a formal night in "dress" clothes with a bolo tie and a dress Stetson (like JR Ewing, but maybe not that expensive, LOL), I would consider him formally dressed no different than a gentleman arriving in a dress kilt.

OTOH, I think baseball caps and such in the MDR would look out of place since it's like a nice restaurant at home and not the coffee diner.

Hey, whatever floats your boat - I've seen it all.

Last question -

Is a dress shirt, tie and docker style pants acceptable for formal night on Princess?

I don't usually bring my suit.

Yes. I do it all the time without any problems and I do not wear ties. One trend I am seeing is men in suits and no tie which I find interesting. However since I retired, I threw all my ties away for good. No tie, never, ever again.

I see the CC fashion police are on the case. Pass the popcorn!

I find that the first formal night is "more formal" on most cruises. I have a long silk black and white gown that scrunches down to nothing, doesn't wrinkle and is great for the first formal night. Hubby wears dark pants, white shirt and dark jacket .... he also tries to get out of the cabin without a tie, but I insist ....cruising is his choice, so follow a decent code....it is part of cruising. Second formal night I wear either the LBD with more bling to dress it up, or a pair of dress pants, sparkly top and dressy shoes. All things have to travel well in a suitcase ..... no space hogs.

You can dress nice without having to pack a lot of extras .... just good planning

p.s. It was my first time to Houston (or Texas for that matter) and I kept looking for cowboy hats and was so disappointed not to see any guys wearing them .... only ones I saw were on the dashboards of their trucks. You guys look so cool wearing those hats ..... why has the custom been dropped?

My take on this never ending question... The Princess site says to dress as you would for a nice dinner in your home (or words similar to that). Our town is pretty casual and most anything is acceptable, HOWEVER, I don't believe that is the intent of the Princess request. I think it's fun to dress up (smart casual and formal) BECAUSE I'm not at home.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app