United--which plane???

PBNJ620

Booking airfare and we know that we want to fly UNITED but there are three different planes to chose from. Just trying to avoid the type of plane we were on the last time we flew. No televisions, no audio.

For those of you who fly UNITED , is there a way to find out which type of plane that we DID fly on? I looked in my history but it doesn't state the type of aircraft.

Here are the choices we have:

737-900

737-800

or

757-200

The 737-800s are fully equipped now with DirectTV, but it isn't free, except in First Class.

Most (but not all) United Aircraft have audio. All three of the aircraft types you mention have audio.

People fly all over with various types of entertainment. Tablets, laptops, netbooks, for example. There is many ways to get entertainment.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Also, just remember that due to an airline's operational situations at any time, there could be an equipment substitution from the equipment you "thought" you were going to fly on to one which may not have the desired amenities for you.

There are no guarantees in that regard.

Go to seatguru.com and enter the flight numbers and dates of the flights you are looking at. When you view the aircraft map it will give you information regarding the audio on the aircraft depending on the cabin you are looking to book ( i.e.. economy, econ plus, business first or global first). This is not a guarantee but it will give you a good idea of what to expect.With respect to the past you might try putting in the flight number and a near term date -- while they do sometimes swap out aircraft on routes they are generally pretty consistent so perhaps what thy are using tomorrow may be the same as the one you flew on.How long ago was it?

We flew in October 2013. We flew first class and not having the entertainment was not a problem for me as I had my ipad with me but my husband was bored. Paying for a first class ticket and then not having entertainment was, very disappointing. Not the end of the world of course, but something I'd like to avoid happening again if I can.

Also keep in mind that LiveTV is only active over the continental US and 200 miles offshore. At other times there will be a few channels of on-board, "precanned" programs. This is due to licensing with the networks and broadcast providers. (FYI, LiveTV is a separate company which provides DirecTV programming to the seatback).

If your flight is international or overwater (Puerto Rico, Hawaii, etc) there won't be much programming available.

From what I can see if you are flying domestic avoid the 757-200. United is in the process of completing the addition of on demand Direct TV/ entertainment to their fleet of domestic 737- 800's and 900's so you will have the best shot there.It would appear individual seat video monitors have been installed in all, if not most, of these aircraft. The 757-200 v-1( domestic) still has the overhead monitors and there is no mention of a timetable to change this situation.

Just give me Channel 9 and I'm fine, of course it has to be United Metal not Continental ;)

I have an ATC app on my phone so I can listen to the airports. It just blows my mind how they, the controllers, can keep it all straight. I love listening to the busy airports especially in bad weather. JFK,EWR and ORD are some of my favorites. The best part is when the controllers at JFK start to chew out the pilots for not doing what they are told. :eek:

I have an ATC app on my phone so I can listen to the airports. It just blows my mind how they, the controllers, can keep it all straight. I love listening to the busy airports especially in bad weather. JFK,EWR and ORD are some of my favorites. The best part is when the controllers at JFK start to chew out the pilots for not doing what they are told. :eek:

wow...i need that app.

and those NYC-area controllers all speak fluent New York-ese......(hey, I am from Jersey and often get accused of having an accent...:rolleyes:)

wow...i need that app.

and those NYC-area controllers all speak fluent New York-ese......(hey, I am from Jersey and often get accused of having an accent...:rolleyes:)

Check out liveatcdotnet... Listen on the web or get their app. They also have a section of "interesting recordings" JFK is there a lot ;)

Also keep in mind that LiveTV is only active over the continental US and 200 miles offshore. At other times there will be a few channels of on-board, "precanned" programs. This is due to licensing with the networks and broadcast providers. (FYI, LiveTV is a separate company which provides DirecTV programming to the seatback).

If your flight is international or overwater (Puerto Rico, Hawaii, etc) there won't be much programming available.

i think it may be more technology that limits the coverage than licensing. The satellites the system is pointed to is only designed to service a given geographic area.

We flew in October 2013. We flew first class and not having the entertainment was not a problem for me as I had my ipad with me but my husband was bored. Paying for a first class ticket and then not having entertainment was, very disappointing. Not the end of the world of course, but something I'd like to avoid happening again if I can.

Some of the brand new United 737-900s do not have Direct TV. United has decided (as I understand it) that Direct TV isn't profitable, so they are not installing it on some of the new 737s they are getting, and are installing WiFi, which is cheaper for them to operate (no screens, no content)...and their thought is, people will "bring their own" iPads, iPhones, DVD players, books, etc.

You might also have been on an Airbus 319 - United had drop down screens on those, but they have started removing them....again, to save money

I just don't understand the "need" for IFE. Don't people read anymore?

Not saying I don't agree with asking the question, but have you been to any restaurant lately that doesn't have a TV in it? The airports have them, the United Clubs have them, cabs in New York have them....people seem to want to be entertained...

First world problems :roll eyes:

Just be grateful you are not on a RJ. :eek: United seems to love them on even longer flights. Especially out of IAH. :mad:

How true!!! It's definitely become an issue for United....too many small jets that they can't upsell you on

Not saying I don't agree with asking the question, but have you been to any restaurant lately that doesn't have a TV in it? The airports have them, the United Clubs have them, cabs in New York have them....people seem to want to be entertained...

Very few of the restaurants I patronize have televisions in them. I go out to eat fine food, not watch TV, and generally the two do not go hand in hand.