Tell me your thoughts

kmarie10531

So I'm 2 weeks post cruise and all I can think about is going on another one . I was thinking of doing a 4-day one towards the end of May for my birthday. The thing is I've always done 7/8 day cruises never anything shorter than that. So my question is should I just save up more time and go on another 7 day one later on or is the 4day ones actually worth it ?? I know either way you slice it it's a vacation and it's going to be fun. And also if you have ever been on a 3/4 day cruise do you feel really rushed ?? Let me know your thoughts and heck give me some comparison notes too :-)

So I'm 2 weeks post cruise and all I can think about is going on another one . I was thinking of doing a 4-day one towards the end of May for my birthday. The thing is I've always done 7/8 day cruises never anything shorter than that. So my question is should I just save up more time and go on another 7 day one later on or is the 4day ones actually worth it ?? I know either way you slice it it's a vacation and it's going to be fun. And also if you have ever been on a 3/4 day cruise do you feel really rushed ?? Let me know your thoughts and heck give me some comparison notes too :-)

Why do you cruise? I cruise for the itineraries, if I saw a 4 day cruise that went where I wanted to go when I wanted to go at a price that I thought was reasonable, then I'd go.

"Unfortunately" for me my home port is Baltimore, so I don't have the option of a short cruise. (Once you add on airfare to Florida then any rationale towards a short cruise is out the window.)

Why do you cruise? I cruise for the itineraries, if I saw a 4 day cruise that went where I wanted to go when I wanted to go at a price that I thought was reasonable, then I'd go.

"Unfortunately" for me my home port is Baltimore, so I don't have the option of a short cruise. (Once you add on airfare to Florida then any rationale towards a short cruise is out the window.)

I'm from the Eastern Shore and I have cruised many times out of Baltimore. I love having no airfare. I just wish there were more cruise lines going from there. Glad that Carnival is staying!!

There is only one 5 day cruise from Galveston (home port near us without flying) and we often do the 5 day just to get away. Even though we now have RCCI and Carnival they also do the same 7 day itinerary so we keep checking prices. Some times you can get a 7 day for the same price as a 5 day. As long as we are on the cruise, it doesn't matter where we are going.

I originally was going to cruise out of Florida on a 5-day. However, when I thought about airfare/hotel costs, I figured I'd put that money into a longer cruise and take the 4 hour drive to Baltimore.

Shorter cruises are fine - you just have to mentally plan a little differently. These cruises are typically less relaxing, and more high energy fun. Cruise lines often pack more entertainment into less amount of time. As long as you go in with the mindset of not having to do everything, they can be relaxing. Also, don't feel the need to debark at ports - you will find a ship that is virtually empty all to yourself. Of course, if you want a whirlwind experience, short cruises can provide that as well - 4 days are a little less crazy than 3 days (I will never do a 3 day cruise again).

If I stayed near a cruise port, I'd cruise as often as I could afford (or put it on my credit card!!) Unfortunately there's zero options in Scotland so I need to save up to fly to the US to feed my cruising addiction!

I think 4/5 night cruises are great if you're short on time and looking for a short break. Why not do one now then another towards the end of the year? Best of both worlds!

while longer cruises (and vacations in general) are my preference, there's nothing awful about a 4 day... i've done one 4 day on CCL and one 5 day on RCCL, and while i'd pick a 5 over a 4, (if no 7-8) but to cruise is to cruise.

i'd probably fly down a day or two early and make it a little pre-vacation to stretch it out a big longer. on the plus side, you can pack lighter, less laundry, etc.

Our first cruise was a 4 day. We didn't know what to expect but found it over way too quick. Have booked several 5 niters which were just right. Our next one is 7 nites which we are trying just to see if that is too long.

I can see us in a few years booking up to 30 nites still testing our limits. ;)

We booked a 4-day cruise last August out of Galveston to Cozumel. We, too, thought the 4-day would be too short and rushed after having been on 7 and 8-day cruises. It wasn't rushed. We went without the kids and had a relaxing, long weekend getaway at a relatively cheap cost. I certainly wouldn't fly anywhere for a short cruise.

I've done threes, fours and sevens. It really depends on what the purpose of the cruise is. I wouldn't book a week's vacation, then fly to Galveston for a 4-day cruise then fly home. That would be an enormous waste of time and money.

We did fly to LA for a 3-day weekend cruise. But it was a weekend, not a "vacation". And, therefore, we were prepared mentally.

And I've been on a 4-day Greek Isles cruise as part of a four week European vacation, but that is something completely different. Although I will say that we didn't feel "rushed" or that it was too short because our mental approach to it was that it was one of 5 segments of our vacation and once it was over, we were happy to move on to the next adventure.

I thought the same thing as you. I haven't been on a shorter cruise in over ten years and usually select one of the newer ships when I book my 7(+) day cruises.

Consequently when an opportunity arose late last year to take a 4 day trip on the Ecstasy I was hesitant. I kept thinking that as soon as I got on it would be time to get off. Additionally, would I enjoy an older ship without the latest bells and whistles.

Let me tell you. My four days on the Ecstasy was one of the best cruises I have ever taken. The ship has been well kept, the crew was extremely friendly and I "survived" without a Guy's cheeseburger :p.

If the finances allow - go for it.

Yes go on a 7 or 8 day cruise, 4 its too too short.

Hi- We have been on 4 day, 5 day, 7 day and 10 day cruises. Have enjoyed all.

The shorter cruises have been fine, as we have combined them with time in

Florida. My concern would be how far cruisers have to travel for a 4 or 5 day and is it worth the trip.

So much depends, IMO, on which ports you want to visit. The short cruises have more limited ports, of course.

A short cruise is better than no cruise, but when you consider the cost and hassle of travel, standing around on boarding and disembarking days, the ratio of enjoyment and relaxation to cost and hassle is not that good.

Definitely better to take two longer cruises than three shorter ones; but depending on your closeness to ports and time flexibility - lots of different approaches work.

I live in Michigan so I'm not near any ports . A two hr flight to me is really no biggie and if I can get away with just a carry on I'll be good .. I think im leaning towards just saving up for a longer cruise .. Thank you everyone for your input

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I do not recommend the 4-day cruise. To short a time and you are rushed. Save up for a 7/8 day cruise. It's a much better deal and it's worth it.