Disappointed with Future Cruise Credit.

Some of you may have seen my post about getting ill while on Oasis over Christmas. (Most likely Noro) Here is the link to the original thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1960631

We were told that we would be hearing from Royal about a future cruise credit. As of this morning we still had not heard anything so I called to check on this. I was told they were issuing the credits today.

Royal is crediting us $239 per person. That is less than what we paid per person, per day for the cruise (we paid $257 PP, PD) . My mom missed 4 days of the cruise, my dad, my youngest son and I missed 3 days and my husband and eldest son missed 2 days.

I nicely told the person I spoke with that I was very unhappy about that and asked if there was someone I could speak to about the matter. While the representative was very nice, long story short I was told 1) no there was no one I could escalate the issue to 2) there was no way to say that we indeed got sick ON their ship and 3) they were doing us a courtesy by even giving us any credit. This felt like a slap in the face - especially point two considering they have been having a bit of trouble with noro on their ships lately and insinuating we came on board ill to begin with.

To say we are disappointed would be an understatement. Our family had talked about the situation after the cruise and all agreed that we would be very satisfied if RCL gave us the equivalent of 2 days each in the form of a future cruise credit. To be getting less than even one day is pretty darn insulting.

Does anyone have any experience in this kind of situation? If so is there a "higher up" department or person we can try reaching out to? We were fully prepared to give Royal another go if we had gotten decent credit but at the moment we are not feeling too warm & fuzzy about trying them again.

While it is indeed a shame this happened to you, if was noro, you likely contracted it from another passenger on board who probably brought the virus on board with them. You very well may have gotten it while on the ship, but you did not get it from the ship.

You're going to disagree with me based on your post, but IMO RCI has no obligation to credit you any money simply because you became ill on one of their ships. The fact that they offered you what they did was generous IMO.

Not sure who else you can talk to regarding your concerns but you probably could try the Resolutions Department - they typically handle concerns such as yours.

Good luck, but I would not be too optimistic.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

What's been said...sometimes bad things happen. It seems people look at cruise lines as bottomless piggy banks. Just remember that every dollar they give you comes from someone else paying for their own cruise...from first time bucketlisters to guys on here that go on two or three a year.

Seriously? People get sick on vacation. It happens. IMO they do not owe you anything. I hate that mentality. My daughter got the stomach virus from daycare a few months ago, i caught it from her, she was out for 3 days. Did I ask daycare for my money back from those 3 days? NO. Never even would have thought to.

I'm not sure why Royal should give you any credit. You got sick while on vacation. How is that their fault? They seem to being very generous by giving you the credit they are.

I agree completely. If I was on a vacation at a land resort and got sick it wouldn't even occur to me to seek compensation. Just because it's a cruise everyone thinks they deserve a handout. If the cruise is cut short that's a different issue. You got sick, get over it and be happy they gave you anything:rolleyes: If you were staying at a hotel for a week would it ever occur to you to seek $$ from them if you got sick? Hopefully not. But it's a cruise, someone owes me something!!!!! Good grief........................

Edited by bouhunter

I'm not sure why Royal should give you any credit. You got sick while on vacation. How is that their fault? They seem to being very generous by giving you the credit they are.

Agreed. I got strep throat several days into a Celebrity cruise. Ship "doctor" (and I use this term loosely - never found out what I had til I got home) was clueless so I ended up being miserable the rest of the 11 day cruise, missed excursions, etc. never even occurred to me to expect a thing from the cruiseline.

OMG, get a stomach virus on a cruise, they owe me thousands because I've read so much in the media about it all......

Pathetic.:rolleyes:

Next time I'm staying at a Hilton and get a cold or flu lets see if they offer me an 239.00 credit. You should be HAPPY!

Edited by bouhunter

Some of you may have seen my post about getting ill while on Oasis over Christmas. (Most likely Noro) Here is the link to the original thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1960631

Royal is crediting us $239 per person. That is less than what we paid per person, per day for the cruise (we paid $257 PP, PD) . My mom missed 4 days of the cruise, my dad, my youngest son and I missed 3 days and my husband and eldest son missed 2 days.

Does anyone have any experience in this kind of situation? If so is there a "higher up" department or person we can try reaching out to? We were fully prepared to give Royal another go if we had gotten decent credit but at the moment we are not feeling too warm & fuzzy about trying them again.

I saw a post on another thread that the OP got Noro and was confined to cabin for 2 days...put in a claim with his insurance and was reimbursed. Maybe that would work for you??

Edited by JF - retired RRT

Thanks all for your replies. It seems I was not clear in my original post; my apologies.

Royal said they were going to compensate us with credit for each of the days they confined us to our cabins due to contracting noro. We never asked them to do this - they offered it - a credit for each day they confined us.

In my original thread from December we stated many times that we were very happy with how Royal treated us - this is why I said we would be happy if they only credited for two days; not the multiple days as promised by them.

My apologies that you all feel I am entitled, pathetic, etc for foolishly believing Royal was going to do what they offered.

IYou got sick, get over it and be happy they gave you anything:rolleyes: If you were staying at a hotel for a week would it ever occur to you to seek $$ from them if you got sick? Hopefully not. But it's a cruise, someone owes me something!!!!! Good grief........................

Expect it? Not at all. In December Royal stated they would going to be compensating us for each day they confined us to our cabin. It was something they offered and we were pleased that they were being so considerate. Unfortunately now they are not doing what they offered; hence my disappointment and my question for the forum.

To say we are disappointed would be an understatement. Our family had talked about the situation after the cruise and all agreed that we would be very satisfied if RCL gave us the equivalent of 2 days each in the form of a future cruise credit. To be getting less than even one day is pretty darn insulting.

So you decided:rolleyes::D

Or

"Expect it? Not at all."

Right, above quote

Edited by setsail

Thanks all for your replies. It seems I was not clear in my original post; my apologies.

Royal said they were going to compensate us with credit for each of the days they confined us to our cabins due to contracting noro. We never asked them to do this - they offered it - a credit for each day they confined us.

In my original thread from December we stated many times that we were very happy with how Royal treated us - this is why I said we would be happy if they only credited for two days; not the multiple days as promised by them.

My apologies that you all feel I am entitled, pathetic, etc for foolishly believing Royal was going to do what they offered.

i would be upset if they promised one thing and then took it back and offered something much less...always get it in writing!

I do wonder why they even agreed to do this to begin with...it makes me really question the whole virus and blaming passengers bringing it onboard. Why give anything if this was the case? I can't think of one other company that would do it!? Anyone have an idea why they do give guests refunds/credit?

Edited by 20pluscruises

So you decided:rolleyes::D

Or

"Expect it? Not at all."

Right

Sigh. Let me try again.

Did I expect, in advance of them saying anything, that Royal should give me something. No.

They came to us while we were still onboard and said they would give us credit for each day. That would have been four days. We *decided* that gosh, we would have been happy with just two days and sure, we would try them again!

They offered us an incentive to come back and we decided we liked that incentive. How is deciding you like something offered turn into it being expected?

Edited to add: the "we decided" part was back in December when they made the original promise to us while we were on board the ship. My apologies I was not clear on that originally either. I had been thinking back also to my original thread in December where I believe I mentioned this.

Edited by orangepeel

i would be upset if they promised one thing and then took it back and offered something much less...always get it in writing!

Thank you, this is why I asked my question on the forum. We were promised one thing are not receiving what we were promised. That was what I was seeking advice on…what to do in a situation like this. And you are right, we should have gotten it in writing. They said they would be sending letters up to our room but they never came.

We were told that we would be hearing from Royal about a future cruise credit. As of this morning we still had not heard anything so I called to check on this. I was told they were issuing the credits today.

I nicely told the person I spoke with that I was very unhappy about that and asked if there was someone I could speak to about the matter. While the representative was very nice, long story short I was told 1) no there was no one I could escalate the issue to 2) there was no way to say that we indeed got sick ON their ship and 3) they were doing us a courtesy by even giving us any credit. This felt like a slap in the face - especially point two considering they have been having a bit of trouble with noro on their ships lately and insinuating we came on board ill to begin with.

Got to be kidding. Why should they give any credit for you getting sick. Too many people are starting to think that they are not responsible for their own well being.

Got to be kidding. Why should they give any credit for you getting sick. Too many people are starting to think that they are not responsible for their own well being.

Please see my other responses. I was not clear on my original post - sorry. Royal had offered to give us multiple day credits and now is not doing so.

Agreed! Don't think any credit is due - just life! Do you expect airlines to credit you when you get an "airplane cold"?

Please see my other responses. I was not clear on my original post - sorry. Royal had offered to give us multiple day credits and now is not doing so.

If you were offered one type of compensation on board and now that offer is being altered then my suggestion would be to email agoldstein@rccl.com

Included your departure date, booking number and a phone number where you can be reached. Someone from Corporate Guest Relations will contact you to discuss this situation.

lots of the RCI forum regulars always go off the deep end and either didn't read or didn't comprehend what they did read.

if RCI confined me to my room and didn't offer anything I would say to myself sh!t happens. but, if RCI confined me to my room and of their own free will offered me something I would think damn that's nice of them I'll be cruising RCI again. then they forget or try to change it I would be pissed too and mark them off my future cruise list. I don't understand why she is getting such a beat-down!!