Rough Seas Video

dodger1964

http://uk.screen.yahoo.com/cruise-liner-rides-rough-seas-212554990.html

I know this will probably get moved, but I thought I would start it here since I assume many that view our X board only look through it, and don't ever see threads that get moved to wherever this kind of thread will end up.

I wonder what they would call the sea "level" on the video...i don't know the correct terminology..."6 foot seas". The waves really don't look that high, but when the "bulbous bow" is clearly visible, that must have been one hell of a ride!!

That doesnt seem as if it was too bad. Back in 2010 we were on a RCCL cruise in Jan. from Bayonne to the Caribbean and hit 20 ft seas on the way back home.

My nephew went up to the buffet around 5am because he couldnt sleep and watched as trays of oatmeal and stacks of dishes hit the floor from the rocking.

We just took bonine and went to sleep for the rest of the morning.

Woke up around noon, seas were calm and we went to Johnny Rockets for lunch!

That doesnt seem as if it was too bad. Back in 2010 we were on a RCCL cruise in Jan. from Bayonne to the Caribbean and hit 20 ft seas on the way back home.

My nephew went up to the buffet around 5am because he couldnt sleep and watched as trays of oatmeal and stacks of dishes hit the floor from the rocking.

We just took bonine and went to sleep for the rest of the morning.

Woke up around noon, seas were calm and we went to Johnny Rockets for lunch!

Only 20ft- we had 40ft waves in the Bay of Biscay on 27th October 2013.

Apparently there was discussion whether we should leave Gijon and it was felt that we would be safer at sea.

Only 20ft- we had 40ft waves in the Bay of Biscay on 27th October 2013.

Apparently there was discussion whether we should leave Gijon and it was felt that we would be safer at sea.

Oh yeah!? Well *I* had to walk 10 miles to school, uphill, both ways, in the snow! :p

Brings back some bad memories. My horror story was 30'+ waves in the Gulf of Mexico of all places! And that was in the days of much smaller ships - ugh. That's one reason I always pipe up when posters are talking about ship's motion and say that such and such a ship is stable, you will not feel the movement, or the Gulf of Mexico is always calm, or some other such rubbish. If the seas are like in this video or worse, EVERYONE will feel the motion. A lucky few will not get sick but ALL ships feel the motion in seas like this, and they can happen on occasion even in places you would not expect like the Gulf of Mexico.

This video is my worst nightmare. Our roughest seas were on a Panama Canal cruise after we had passed into the Pacific Ocean. We had 62 knot winds and we were really rocking, but it only lasted about four hours. It was our first cruise, and we thought we were going to die! On our Southern Caribbean cruise last month we had one rough night (about nine hours) when we got zero sleep because of significant rocking (coupled with the constant vibration from being in an aft cabin. Yuck!

We experienced similar (20' seas) just outside the Bay of Biscay at the beginning of a TA in 2011. Definitely rocking and rolling and the trays and bowls of salad in the buffet were flying. It went on for over 24 hr. but apparently he was avoiding 40' seas. I can't even imagine THAT!

They were coming out of the Port of Vigo if I can see correctly, and this port is notorious for the Atlantic swell hitting you exactly head-on...:D

I love it, although I am like Nelson...extremely sensitive to seasickness...

http://uk.screen.yahoo.com/cruise-liner-rides-rough-seas-212554990.html

I know this will probably get moved, but I thought I would start it here since I assume many that view our X board only look through it, and don't ever see threads that get moved to wherever this kind of thread will end up.

I wonder what they would call the sea "level" on the video...i don't know the correct terminology..."6 foot seas". The waves really don't look that high, but when the "bulbous bow" is clearly visible, that must have been one hell of a ride!!

This is pretty mild. I will never forget when I was on a Chandris ship almost 40 years ago on a ship about the same size as the one on the video somewhere in the Pacific near Fiji. We had to veer about 300 km off course to avoid going through the middle of a cyclone. Every time the bow went down into the trough of the waves the waves crashed over the top of the bridge. Also I clearly remember at one stage being in the trough of a wave and I couldn't see the horizon from the side of the ship just a wall of water as high as the ship and I was on deck 10. That was the scariest moment of my life and put me off cruising for years. I don't know how high the waves were but I heard someone say they were close to 90 feet. Needless to say everyone including the crew where white as a ghost for most of a day until we reached calmer waters.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Not to worry .The cruise ships are put through sea trials in the north Atlantic & those are truly turbulent waters;) .We have been on 59 cruises & got our share of rough seas .Most recently a 2 day rough seas in October 2013 coming back to San Diego from Hawaii .We were really rocking & rolling .That was about the same time the Philipine islands got hit by that Cyclone disaster

Another thing far scarier than normal type rough waters are rogue waves ;which can appear any time any where .Think "Posiedun" :rolleyes:. A Norwegian ship got hit by a 75 ft rogue wave & people got hurt .A Celebrity ship "Infinity " off the coast of Chile got hit on the port side by a 30 ft rogue wave & listed the ship 30 degrees to starboard .Now that is truly scary :eek: There is no technology to see or prepare for a rogue wave:rolleyes: .We learned from senior officers that a rogue wave is only seen by sight & not equipment on the ship :o.

We experienced similar (20' seas) just outside the Bay of Biscay at the beginning of a TA in 2011. Definitely rocking and rolling and the trays and bowls of salad in the buffet were flying. It went on for over 24 hr. but apparently he was avoiding 40' seas. I can't even imagine THAT!

If it was the Eclipse, we were on that one too!

If you really want to see rough seas, do a google search for videos of the Drake Passage, going to or from Antarctica. Here is an example

Thanks for the link; the video brought back memories of my own similar crossings of the Drake last year on a small expedition ship (going to and returning from Antarctica). I really loved it, but I know that I'm in the minority. :)

Here's a view from the bridge of our ship:

DrakeSplash1024x678_zps9c13906c.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

Edited by Turtles06

Thanks for the link; the video brought back memories of my own similar crossings of the Drake last year on a small expedition ship (going to and returning from Antarctica). I really loved it, but I know that I'm in the minority. :)

Here's a view from the bridge of our ship:

DrakeSplash1024x678_zps9c13906c.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

You are in the minority at least with me!:)

We have done Antarctica and Drakes passage and had to abort about halfway across Drakes passage on Infinity in 2010.

We did make a second attempt to go to Antarctica a couple of days later and once there, it was like a National Geographic Day there, so we are very grateful to Celebrity and the Captain for making that expensive cost decision. Then on way back, the waves were projected to be 25-30, so we diverted closer to shore as we sailed north to our next port of call in Argentina and into 15-20 foot waves. I cannot imagine being in a smaller ship. I guess there is a 'thrill' factor and for sure it is easier to talk about/laugh about after the fact.

I would book another trip to Antarctica again without hesitation, on Infinity. :)

Edited by shipshape sam

You are in the minority at least with me!:)

We have done Antarctica and Drakes passage and had to abort about halfway across Drakes passage on Infinity in 2010.

We did make a second attempt to go to Antarctica a couple of days later and once there, it was like a National Geographic Day there, so we are very grateful to Celebrity and the Captain for making that expensive cost decision. Then on way back, the waves were projected to be 25-30, so we diverted closer to shore as we sailed north to our next port of call in Argentina and into 15-20 foot waves. I cannot imagine being in a smaller ship. I guess there is a 'thrill' factor and for sure it is easier to talk about/laugh about after the fact.

I would book another trip to Antarctica again without hesitation, on Infinity. :)

I took that photo on the National Geographic Explorer, so every day for us was a National Geographic Day. ;)

I love being on small ships. I was enjoying the Drake while we were in the Drake, but I do understand that it was not everyone's cup of tea, including the vast majority of folks on our ship, who spent a good bit of time in their cabins during the crossings. I felt really bad for them, as I think many missed seeing the albatross and other birds that follow ships through the Drake. Truly amazing to be out on deck watching those birds for hours.

WanderingAlbatross1024x620_zps367261ed.jpg

(Wandering Albatross in the Drake Passage, by turtles06)

I took that photo on the National Geographic Explorer, so every day for us was a National Geographic Day. ;)

I love being on small ships. I was enjoying the Drake while we were in the Drake, but I do understand that it was not everyone's cup of tea, including the vast majority of folks on our ship, who spent a good bit of time in their cabins during the crossings. I felt really bad for them, as I think many missed seeing the albatross and other birds that follow ships through the Drake. Truly amazing to be out on deck watching those birds for hours.

WanderingAlbatross1024x620_zps367261ed.jpg

(Wandering Albatross in the Drake Passage, by turtles06)

That is funny about the ship you were on!

How long was your sailing to Antarctica from Ushuaia. We did have calm seas/wind around Cape Horn. We actually had a snow storm for a few hours as we skipped the Falklands heading towards Elephant Island. That was interesting.

We too got to see some birds, but my personal favorite were the penguins on the icebergs as we approached and left Antarctica.