Marital Dispute

TMLAalum

We're starting to experience the cutbacks by UA out of CLE.

Our flights to Hong Kong have been changed from departing CLE to ORD at 10am, arriving at ORD at 10:22am to departing 8:53am and arriving at ORD at 9:15am. The flight to HK departs at 1:15pm.

We haven't clicked on accepting this change yet.

DH wants to do so, but I am lobbying for the CLE-ORD flight that leaves at 11:13 am and arrives 11:34am. There is a later flight that would get us to ORD @12:30pm in the event of trouble.

He's worried about missing the ORD-HK flight and prefers the 4 hour layover cushion. I'm concerned about the length of the trip which would be 20+ airport and flight hours leaving earlier vs. having a couple hours longer before we leave home.

Of course, since we used FF miles for economy, there's no guarantee UA will accommodate us on the later CLE-ORD flight:(

Opinions without flames, thanks!

Edited by TMLAalum

That is not enough of a time change for UA to allow you to change flights, especially if they have to open up award seats on another flight, if they don't want to.

Honestly, if it makes your husband feel more comfortable, let him "win". It's a long trip, and I don't see where the extra time really makes much of a difference. Get a couple lounge passes, or walk over to the Hilton and have lunch.

I'd take the extra time. In sept we flew DTW to ORD and had about 2 hrs to make our connection. We pushed back from the gate right on time at 6 am in our regional jet and were immediately held on the ground for 65 mins due to bad weather at ORD. We were then given clearance to take off, flew to ORD circled for 40 mins and then were sent all the way back to Detroit to refuel. Deplaned in DTW, refuelled, pushed back again and so on and so on. Long story short we missed our connection and the one they rebooked us on. Lucky for us we were only flying to Vancouver and there were more flights that day. I sat with a crew member when we finally got going again out of Detroit and I asked why they couldn't get us in and she said, "when they get a break in the weather they have to get the big girls in. The regionals and short domestics have to come last."

Bottom line, our 1 hr flight took 6 and a half. I know it's extreme but on an international flight I think some extra time built in would be worth it.

Edited by goodml

We haven't clicked on accepting this change yet.

DH wants to do so, but I am lobbying for the CLE-ORD flight that leaves at 11:13 am and arrives 11:34am. There is a later flight that would get us to ORD @12:30pm in the event of trouble.

Opinions without flames, thanks!

Given that you're only talking about a roughly 1 hour time change, just go with it if it makes your hubby sleep more easily. You'll have more options in the event of delays /cancellations (and you're right- no guarantee that you'd be put on that 12:30 flight if that happened) and use the extra time at ORD to have a relaxing pre-flight lunch somewhere. Or see if the XPress Spa at ORD is in your terminal and splurge on a neck and shoulder massage during the extra time... could be your compromise for going with the earlier flight your DH prefers. :D

I let DH know the consensus of the wise CruiseAir posters.

We will use our UA club passes to while away the 4 hours at ORD...hope they're serving Bloodies at that hour:D.

WE, being located in a triangle between Cleveland, Buffalo and Pittsburgh, sometimes use CLE.

I assume your vacation is about 2 months away.

Good Luck !

... and hope they don't make another change.

Edited by $hip$hape

Especially if you have club passes I'd go with the earlier flight. There are just too many variables with today's air travel, and I'd hate to miss the connecting flight.

We fly out of CLE, and one of my worst flying memories was watching my 747 to Hawaii (with a first class upgrade) as it taxied out in front of our late flight from CLE. They put us on the next flight, but it was a smaller plane so the first class experience wasn't the same.

We will use our UA club passes to while away the 4 hours at ORD...hope they're serving Bloodies at that hour:D.

Good decision IMO. Sure beats missing an International flight.

I think you made the correct decision. The part about agreeing with your DH.

Seriously - the consensus here is correct. Better to spend an extra hour at ORD, than to risk missing your flight. And getting to HKG is not that easy if you do miss your scheduled flight

I still don't understand why this was even an issue. The new flight leaves an hour earlier.

It meant the OP had to leave her house that much earlier in the morning, which she was hoping to avoid, and kill an extra hour at ORD, which she was also hoping to avoid. Those are reasonable desires, but the OP has since seen the logic in going ahead and sticking to the new schedule. :)

Depending on weather, 4 hrs may be just right. If you do decide on the longer layover, and since you're in the United terminal, make sure you eat at Tortas Frontera at Gate B11. It's a Ric Bayliss restaurant and the food is just as good as it is at his flagship restaurant downtown.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm going to have 3 hour layovers at ORD (domestic flights) but my other option was 51 minutes and that was not going to happen. I would much rather have extra time especially since you have to be at the gate early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk