Nieuw Amsterdam for HAL World Voyage?

ColumbiaSC

I love the ms Amsterdam, but .... just pondering. Why doesn't HAL consider (perhaps HAL has) having the Nieuw Amsterdam be the flagbearer for the annual World Voyage in 2016? NA certainly gets good reviews, and she is made from the same basic mould as the Cunard Queen Victoria and the Queen Elizabeth.

Don

Nieuw Amsterdam is too large for World Cruise.

Perhaps it is too big to fill?

Perhaps she is not designed as a World Cruiser?

Rotterdam and Amsterdam are the co-flagships of the fleet.

Edited by sail7seas

Ah Ha!! I forgot the "smalls." ;) They do have to be rinsed out. I had not known that the Nieuw Amsterdam didn't have launderettes. That is really odd. But I suppose it ups the chances of someone's buying the Unlimited Laundry Package. :D

Don.

Edited by ColumbiaSC

I love the ms Amsterdam, but .... just pondering. Why doesn't HAL consider (perhaps HAL has) having the Nieuw Amsterdam be the flagbearer for the annual World Voyage in 2016? NA certainly gets good reviews, and she is made from the same basic mould as the Cunard Queen Victoria and the Queen Elizabeth.

Don

I doubt they'd do a GV, never mind a GWV, with a ship without self service laundries.

By the way, while the ships are limited in many ways, all 3 Cunard ships have self service laundries.

Roy

Honestly, I would far rather do a World Voyage on the Amsterdam or Prinsendam :)

You need some of that old world charm and they need to fit into certain ports easily.

Cat makes a good point - could you imagine the laundry bill on the World Cruise if they were on the N Amsterdam (although I suspect that many are 4* mariners and get free laundry anyways :))

Don

The Queens have longer and stronger hulls.

The Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam with no doubt are the best HAL ships - in fact flagships in traditional meaning. They can fit all the ports that Cunard Queens do.

But ...

Wolrd cruises will require certain provision to be stored on a ship.

The Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam are designed as first class resort ships, and the best way is to utilize them as such.

Once we talked with HAL officers about this very question...

In my opinion, I don't think that the Signature Class or Vista Class vessels are designed for such a long voyage as any Grand Voyage would be.

Having said that, I personally would enjoy sailing on one of them for such a voyage. I like both classes of ships and think having some variety in the "hardware" offered for such cruises would make them more appealing to me.

If my memory is correct, I think the Westerdam sailed a 30 day South Pacific cruise last year that was a success. If so, then those ships could be scheduled for longer cruises.

I can not see HAL pulling out a larger ship for the World Cruise.

We were told when the Eurodam came out that the object of the Signature ships was for 7 day Caribbean cruises. At that time HAL did spend more time in the Caribbean than they do now. They wanted to attract the younger cruisers. It has worked. More people on a larger ship for a shorter time USUALLY means more revenue as people tend to spend more money on a shorter cruise knowing that they may not be able to cruise for some time.

The Nieuw Amsterdam is too big for a World Cruise. Not only is the passenger base insufficient (just think, there are empty cabins on this year's GWV), but it would have a hard time going to some of the small ports that make the world cruise a true Voyage.

Comparable category cabins are larger on the Amsterdam, and space is important on such a long cruise.

Add to that the world cruisers are a discerning group who like a ship that's both classic and classy, and the fleet flagship is the best choice.

Thanks, folks! I was not advocating the replacement of the ms Amsterdam by the Nieuw Amsterdam. I was simply wondering why the Nieuw Amsterdam would not be suitable for a world cruise, like obviously the Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth are (being cruise ships similar to the NA, not an ocean liner like the Queen Mary 2). The lack of self-service laundry facilities is certainly a huge handicap, I think. And obviously there would have to be a nearly-full ship on a GWV to make it profitable.

Don.