Delete auto grautuity and pay cash?

Jim Henry

HAL charges automatically $11.50 per person, per day for gratuities. For a family of four that will be over $300. It has been suggested to me if I don't want to pay that much, on the last night ask guest services to delete the automatic gratuities from the final bill . Then on the last day leave a lesser tip. Say $200 in cash in the room, and tip the MDR staff a modest tip on the last evening meal. Also tip "as you go" for other special services, such as room service, spa, etc. Your thoughts?

HAL charges automatically $11.50 per person, per day for gratuities. For a family of four that will be over $300. It has been suggested to me if I don't want to pay that much, on the last night ask guest services to delete the automatic gratuities from the final bill . Then on the last day leave a lesser tip. Say $200 in cash in the room, and tip the MDR staff a modest tip on the last evening meal. Also tip "as you go" for other special services, such as room service, spa, etc. Your thoughts?

How will you tip for breakfast and lunch?

Why wait until the last night to cancel gratuities? Might it be to keep staff thinking they will get a full gratuity and then undercut at the last minute?

Bad idea IMO. As already mentioned, if you eliminate the auto tip, then all the people you give cash to will have to turn it in, back into the pool. Plus, from your comments, you will really not be saving much if anything (what is a "modest" tip for 4 people for 7 days in the MDR?). The MDR servers do alot of work in getting your meals for a party of 4, three times a day for 7 days.

As others have said, this is not the way to go to accomplish what you intend.

If you absolutely insist on reducing the pay of those who have served you, then you can reduce the amount of the hotel service charge at the Front Desk.

This will at least cut out the unnecessary step of handing out cash, which is then turned in.

However, I would hope you rethink reducing the tip at all. Everyone in your party is getting the service, so it's appropriate that all pay the charge.

BAD, BAD, BAD idea!

If you leave the Hotel Service CHARGE (it is NOT a gratuity) in place the room stewards will get about $125 and your MDR steward team about the same. These are amounts that have been determined to be fair compensation for their work.

As others have said, if you remove the HSC they are required to turn in any cash you give them. Your room stewards may end up getting less than the $125 that is due them.

Edited by catl331

As a new comer to the CC boards, please understand that tipping is another controversial topic on the forum. Be prepared for lots of feedback on our post.

To quote the statement from HAL:

"If our service exceeds or fails to meet your expectations, you are free to adjust this amount at the end of each segment and/or voyage."

It is perfectly okay for you to request that the Hotel Service Charge be removed from your account at the end of the cruise and for you to pay any gratuity of your choice to whomever you choose.

Here is HAL's entire statement on the Hotel Service Charge:

"Our crew works very hard to make sure that every aspect of your cruise meets the highest standards. This includes those crew members who serve you directly, such as Dining Room wait staff and the stewards who service your stateroom each day. There are also many others who support their efforts whom you may never meet, such as galley and laundry staff. To ensure that the efforts of all of our crew members are recognized and rewarded, a daily Hotel Service Charge is automatically added to each guest’s shipboard account.

The daily Hotel Service Charge for suites is US$12.00 per guest per day, and US$11.50 per guest per day for other staterooms. (The charges are subject to change without notice)

If our service exceeds or fails to meet your expectations, you are free to adjust this amount at the end of each segment and/or voyage. The Hotel Service Charge is paid to Holland America Line crew members, and represents an important part of their compensation. A 15% Bar Service Charge is automatically added to bar charges and Dining Room wine purchases. In terminals, airports, ports of call and on shore excursions, we suggest that you extend gratuities consistent with customary local practices."

oh, please don't jump on jim henry like you've done over and over again to me. he's obviously new to cruising and hal; he's taking his family along; he's on a budget. he doesn't quite understand the policy. he is only asking for help and advice, not assumptions about his motives or condemnation for his thoughts. the 'if you cannot afford the service charges, then you cannot afford to cruise' line is just so hurtful and elitist. he just asked a question and proposed his thoughts. just put forth opinions, but, please, please, don't transition from that to condemning jh's motives. as they used to say on 'dragnet', 'just the facts; just the facts.'

Once you sign that form, your name is passed onto the various department heads/supervisors. They in turn pass your name onto the workers under them.

If you give out cash tips after signing that form, the crew are required to turn in that cash which will then be divided among all crew members. How honest are they? I don't know. But I do know that they can be fired if they are caught keeping the cash once the form has been signed.

So please about your final decision on this matter.

oh, please don't jump on jim henry like you've done over and over again to me. he's obviously new to cruising and hal; he's taking his family along; he's on a budget. he doesn't quite understand the policy. he is only asking for help and advice, not assumptions about his motives or condemnation for his thoughts. the 'if you cannot afford the service charges, then you cannot afford to cruise' line is just so hurtful and elitist. he just asked a question and proposed his thoughts. just put forth opinions, but, please, please, don't transition from that to condemning jh's motives. as they used to say on 'dragnet', 'just the facts; just the facts.'

THANK YOU DR DAWG! I was feeling a bit ganged up on! Second time on a cruise and my intentions are not to rip anyone off. I posted the question because a colleague just returned from a cruise and did this. I questioned her about this and asked her how and why. Therefore I posted this on this great forum which I have used on many occasions to get advice. In closing, you all made it loud and clear that it is a bad thing do to. Therefore I won't. Peace!

To quote the statement from HAL:

"If our service exceeds or fails to meet your expectations, you are free to adjust this amount at the end of each segment and/or voyage."

It is perfectly okay for you to request that the Hotel Service Charge be removed from your account at the end of the cruise and for you to pay any gratuity of your choice to whomever you choose.

Note the entire sentence:

"If our service exceeds or fails to meet your expectations, you are free to...."

and take the remedy in context. The reason for reducing the hotel service charge is failure to meet your expectations of standards of service. It gives no other reason.

JimHenry is new so he probably, like lots of others, doesn't know how things work when you remove the hotel service charge. At least HAL is calling it that now. They should make it mandatory, cannot be removed. I have never been able to remove a hotel service charge from a land based resort and I understand some cruise lines have made the HSC non removable.

Of course, the other option is to raise the price of a cruise and pay the staff a decent wage to start but I don't think that will happen any time soon on any line.

THANK YOU DR DAWG! I was feeling a bit ganged up on! Second time on a cruise and my intentions are not to rip anyone off. I posted the question because a colleague just returned from a cruise and did this. I questioned her about this and asked her how and why. Therefore I posted this on this great forum which I have used on many occasions to get advice. In closing, you all made it loud and clear that it is a bad thing do to. Therefore I won't. Peace!

good to hear :D A family of four requires more service than a couple so the hsc does make sense IMO.

We all get bad advice from others at times. Removing the hsc is one of those bad pieces of advice;)

Do keep in mind that a portion of the HSC also goes to many behind the scenes staff, like the laundry staff who keep the bedding, towels, and table linens (and maybe even your own laundry) clean, the cooks who make some fabulous meals, the bakery staff who make those wonderful croissants and other treats, the cleaning staff who clean the public venues to try to keep us safe from norovirus, the entertainment staff, and many more. These people all add something to the enjoyment of your cruise. A portion of that HSC goes to them, too.

To only tip the dining and room stewards is not tipping fairly, IMO. Please consider keeping the HSC in place and, if you so desire, tip additionally for service above and beyond your expectations.

Sorry, I must have been typing my post when yours got posted about agreeing that it is a bad idea to remove the HSC. Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Alberta Quilter

Jim, you have the freedom to do whatever you feel is the best for you and your family. This is YOUR cruise to cruise as you see fit. Enjoy your trip and all the best.

For future reference - smoking and tipping are the 2 topics in which CC posters appear to take the most rigid positions.

You had a very valid question so don't let the board get you down. I honestly don't think they meant anything "mean spirited" by their comments. Collectively we here actually represent a very small percentage of HAL cruisers. I'd guess there are literally thousands of HAL passengers who have no idea what happens if they remove the automatic Hotel Service Charge and tip out of hand. I even had a TA friend ask me the same question last year. She works mostly with business travel and when she does do cruise bookings she has the tendency to steer people to RCL cruises. That's the line she knows the best, she's never been on a HAL cruise.....I took her and your question as an honest attempt to understand and learn.

Jim, you have the freedom to do whatever you feel is the best for you and your family.
In regards to tipping, let your conscience be your guide. You can cancel the auto gratuities and tip what you feel is appropriate.
With no consideration on how it affects those serving you? :confused::eek:

The HSC is not an "auto gratuity", it is a charge for services rendered, and the only legitimate reason to remove it is if the service is unsatisfactory. Gratuities are cash given in addition to the HSC.

Edited by jtl513

You had a very valid question so don't let the board get you down. I honestly don't think they meant anything "mean spirited" by their comments. Collectively we here actually represent a very small percentage of HAL cruisers. I'd guess there are literally thousands of HAL passengers who have no idea what happens if they remove the automatic Hotel Service Charge and tip out of hand. I even had a TA friend ask me the same question last year. She works mostly with business travel and when she does do cruise bookings she has the tendency to steer people to RCL cruises. That's the line she knows the best, she's never been on a HAL cruise.....I took her and your question as an honest attempt to understand and learn.

Hi Randy,

You bring up a really good point regarding the HSC. I don't know what happens should I reduce or remove the HSC from my bill. If I were to reduce my HSC, should I expect a response from HAL? And what would that response look like?

Hey no problem! :)Everyone's comments and detailed answers are very valid and important points. Brings to light where gratuities go and how they are dispersed, especially to all the crew behind the scenes that do so much to make our cruises so comfortable. and memorable. I am sure at times it is a thankless job for some. Happy sailing to all!

Hi Randy,

You bring up a really good point regarding the HSC. I don't know what happens should I reduce or remove the HSC from my bill. If I were to reduce my HSC, should I expect a response from HAL? And what would that response look like?

You will need to tell HAL (front desk) what areas of service are lacking to cause you to do this. Those people whom you specified that did not provide the service would be spoken to by their supervisors.

The HSC is not an "auto gratuity", it is a charge for services rendered, and the only legitimate reason to remove it is if the service is unsatisfactory. Gratuities are cash given in addition to the HSC.

I disagree.

I disagree. On its website, HAL refers to the topic as Hotel Service Charge (Gratuity/Tip)