Bringing Wine Onboard - Caribbean Princess

cruisinsince75

We haven't been on Princess for awhile and are considering a cruise on the Caribbean Princess out of Houston.

We have sailed on Princess several times in the past and we were allowed to bring onboard our own wine without limit. We have friends that sailed on the Royal and Ruby recently, and they said there was no problem bringing their own wine onboard. However, we had other friends that sailed on the Golden out of LA and they were limited to 1 bottle each. All others were subject to a corkage fee whether it was drank in their cabin or not. They said it seemed to be specific to that particular port.

Has anyone been on the Caribbean Princess recently that has experience with this?

We haven't been on Princess for awhile and are considering a cruise on the Caribbean Princess out of Houston.

We have sailed on Princess several times in the past and we were allowed to bring onboard our own wine without limit.

Princess' current rules are one 750ml bottle of wine/pp over 21 can be carried on without charge for use in your cabin. Additional bottles can be brought on board and are subject to a $15 corkage fee per bottle. These bottles are so marked by Princess and can be used anyplace on the ship including the dining room. Beer and spirits can not be brought on board. For the most part these rules are enforced on all ships, however, sometimes passengers get away with additional bottles without being charged. Depends more on the security person at the gangway than the actual ship.

FYI No limits on sodas, juices, water, other soft drinks.

Returned yesterday from a week on CB and we had no issues bringing wine on board. We had it packed in our luggage as well as carry on and had no issues. We paid the $15 fee for one bottle and that was only because we took it to the dining room on the last night.

ymmv, but I saw people wheeling on cases of wine on the Nov 30 CB cruise :rolleyes:

You can bring as much as you'd like onboard. But you will most likely pay a corkage fee on each extra bottle. No way getting round it with a case. Some will attempt carrying an extra bottle or two onboard. With various degrees of success depending on port. But no more carrying on cases without paying the fees. Tough walking by the " wine registering table. "

Edited by eandj

Returned yesterday from a week on CB and we had no issues bringing wine on board. We had it packed in our luggage as well as carry on and had no issues. We paid the $15 fee for one bottle and that was only because we took it to the dining room on the last night.

You are right there won't be any issue bringing on wine or champagne.

Bring as much as you want just have to pay the fee.

You are right there won't be any issue bringing on wine or champagne.

Bring as much as you want just have to pay the fee.

We were not charged a fee for all the bottles we did not take to the dining room, and we were definitely over the 1 per person limit.

We were on the Jan 25th sailing on CB....no one checked to see how many bottles of wine we had ......had two bottles in checked luggage and no problem.

My sister had a small fan which they confiscated from her.....told her they were no longer allowed on the ship. she checked with passenger services onboard and they told her fans are " ok".....

:rolleyes:

We don't know how they handle it in Houston but we brought wine on board the Emerald Princess in Ft. Lauderdale on Jan. 28th. We brought a case of wine, in a wine shipping box, from LAX to Florida as a checked bag. No problem with the airline (American) but the TSA did look inside. I taped a couple of the paper baggage tags on it and it as delivered directly to our cabin. As we had most of the bottles with dinner we paid corkage on them. Most restaurants in California charge $15 to $25/bottle corkage now so Princess in not out of line.

our luggage tags for Golden Princess April 1, 2014 say that we can bring one 750 ml bottle wine per adult person. additional wine subject to $15 corkage fee. luggage is subject to search. the financial guys continue to do what they can to increase revenue and hurt our wallets. nickel & dime. this is why people go on crystal and reagent.

Has anyone been on the Caribbean Princess recently that has experience with this?

Nice specific question, and not all the replies actually answer you.

The Golden was the first to see strict wine enforcement. This fall the Emerald has begun to have reports of the bottle-counters.

So far Houston has not been enforcing carry-on wine policy. We carried on extra wine in December on the Caribbean Princess, some of it was for the 2nd leg of the B2B but they really didn't care, count, or charge for it at check-in.

January reviews say the same, so far.

Just remember it could change at any time, and the Official Policy could be enforced:

"Check water and soda with luggage, attaching Luggage Tag flat to the case. Free, no limit.

Carry on as much wine or champagne as you want, at $15 corkage per 750ml bottle; one bottle per adult is exempt from the fee unless consumed in a public area."

~sent using Cruise Critic app~

Edited by sminfiddle

Thanks for all the info. I don't ever have a problem with paying a corkage fee when I take a bottle of wine to dinner. Just like I would expect a restaurant on land to charge a corkage fee. I do however have a problem with a corkage fee when we have a bottle of our own sparkling wine on our balcony. Can you imagine checking into a hotel, them checking your bags, and charging you for that bottle of wine that intend to enjoy in your room?

That being said, at least the Princess policy is better than Holland America's. Their new policy states only one bottle per person can be brought onboard, period. You want a bottle in your stateroom. Fine, order it from room service. The bottle that you buy at your local wine store for $15 is only $65 onboard. But don't forget the other 15% gratuity that they tack on top.

OK, I'm ready to hear, "if you can afford to take a cruise, you can afford to pay the corkage fee." Yes, and if the price to cruise on mainstream lines increases enough with these added charges, we can likely take a step up to more luxurious all-inclusive lines for a just a little more.

Nice specific question, and not all the replies actually answer you.

The Golden was the first to see strict wine enforcement. This fall the Emerald has begun to have reports of the bottle-counters.

So far Houston has not been enforcing carry-on wine policy. We carried on extra wine in December on the Caribbean Princess, some of it was for the 2nd leg of the B2B but they really didn't care, count, or charge for it at check-in.

January reviews say the same, so far.

Just remember it could change at any time, and the Official Policy could be enforced:

"Check water and soda with luggage, attaching Luggage Tag flat to the case. Free, no limit.

Carry on as much wine or champagne as you want, at $15 corkage per 750ml bottle; one bottle per adult is exempt from the fee unless consumed in a public area."

~sent using Cruise Critic app~

Thanks! That is good to know. We may just take the chance. We realize they may start enforcing. Wonder

I'm not being snarky here but what makes wine so special that it is exempt????? I mean what's the difference between dragging a bottle of wine on board versus a bottle of scotch or tequila or whatever???? I've never understood what makes wine and wine drinkers so special. Booze is booze.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm not being snarky here but what makes wine so special that it is exempt????? I mean what's the difference between dragging a bottle of wine on board versus a bottle of scotch or tequila or whatever???? I've never understood what makes wine and wine drinkers so special. Booze is booze.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

1. Lower in alcohol content

2. Usually paired with a meal, unlike hard liquor.

3. Wider variety of labels and vintages. Therefore choices, that aren't necessarily available onboard the ship.

4. My absolute favorite, drum roll please.... Can't put sparkling wine in a rum runner! :-)

We were on the Jan 25th sailing on CB....no one checked to see how many bottles of wine we had ......had two bottles in checked luggage and no problem.

My sister had a small fan which they confiscated from her.....told her they were no longer allowed on the ship. she checked with passenger services onboard and they told her fans are " ok".....

:rolleyes:

never had problems with a small fan....

Thanks for all the info.

OK, I'm ready to hear, "if you can afford to take a cruise, you can afford to pay the corkage fee." Yes, and if the price to cruise on mainstream lines increases enough with these added charges, we can likely take a step up to more luxurious all-inclusive lines for a just a little more.

All inclusive is a great option and have done this....check into it....you might be surprised!

We have sailed on Princess several times in the past and we were allowed to bring onboard our own wine without limit. We have friends that sailed on the Royal and Ruby recently, and they said there was no problem bringing their own wine onboard. However, we had other friends that sailed on the Golden out of LA and they were limited to 1 bottle each. All others were subject to a corkage fee whether it was drank in their cabin or not. They said it seemed to be specific to that particular port.

I was on the CB in November 2013 and brought our 750mil/person wine onboard in my carry on luggage and no search of luggage by security or Princess staff. So I guess it is the luck of the draw whether they search to see if you have more than 750ml/person. I have never had a problem bringing wine onboard Princess.(I only bring what is allowed though)

• 1 month later...

We are on a cruise soon and will have a bottle of wine each, plus 2 more bottles and have no problem with the $15 fee per bottle over 2. That said, if we buy any wine( 1 bottle each) at a port in Hawaii can we take that wine back to our cabin or will they hold until the end of the cruise?

Also do you need to have your bottle of wine in your carry-on only ?

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to come back on here and report. Just got off the CB in Houston last week. We had no problems bringing additional wine onboard. Only paid a corkage fee if we took it to dining venue.

However, we found the Princess wine prices to be very fair.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by cruisinsince75