Walkie talkies on Princess ships?

Kinkacruiser

We are considering purchasing walkie takies for our next cruise to use onboard as well as ashore (Europe Baltic and Mediterranean ports).

Does Princess allow the use of WT's onboard?

Should I look into a particular brand, frequency/range, channels etc ?

I'd appreciate any suggestions from those who use these devices.

I've been looking into this too. DW is concerned about the kids having sign out privileges from the kids club and then not knowing where they are. I've read a lot of reviews saying that the about of steel in the ship limits the range of the radios significantly. I am trying to convince DW to let the kids have fun and to trust them (they are good kids). I'm still working on her to change her mind before I make the purchase.

Most reviews I have read on Amazon and most say that after a day or two, the reception issue is more trouble than it is worth and the radios are abandoned in the cabin.

I've been looking into this too. DW is concerned about the kids having sign out privileges from the kids club and then not knowing where they are. I've read a lot of reviews saying that the about of steel in the ship limits the range of the radios significantly. I am trying to convince DW to let the kids have fun and to trust them (they are good kids). I'm still working on her to change her mind before I make the purchase.

Most reviews I have read on Amazon and most say that after a day or two, the reception issue is more trouble than it is worth and the radios are abandoned in the cabin.

I saw a few people using these on the ship. The 2-ways work ok but you may get interference when transmitting on a channel used by others or get limited signal depending on where your spouse/partner/friend is at. I thought it would come in handy in the Atrium of some of these ships when your spouse/friend is shopping.

We used to do this all the time when we traveled with our kids when they were younger. Gave us piece of mind, but kids hated it...lol. Haven't seen many people use them anymore, but it is convenient when tracking down the wife on a huge ship!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We brought them on a long cruise on the Diamond a few years ago. We did not use them on the ship for a couple of reasons. They were essentially useless unless both of us were on open decks. Also we realized that talking on them would be as annoying as someone using a cell phone in public. A relaxing cruise is not the place for others to have to hear us chat. We did use them occasionally onshore. They were handy in finding out "where are you". I have heard that there may be some local regulations in some countries concerning their use.

We tried them on a couple of cruises & found them to be unreliable on the ship so we no longer bring them. In previous discussions those knowledgeable about the rules and regulations say they are not allowed outside of the USA. The reason given was because it interfered with Public Safety frequencies used outside of the USA. I haven't researched this possibility but decided to not take a chance of creating a problem.

Also be aware that using the WT made in the US are illegal to use in many foreign countries. You could be subject to arrest, fines and even jail time. Will it happen probable not. Could it happen? YES.

Edited by Potstech

+1 on the legal issue. Many countries do not allow private citizens to use unlicensed communications devices. Use off the ship at your own risk.

I seem to recall one of the lines used to rent them to passengers but dropprd the service because reception was so spotty.

We took & tried our on two cruises, now they sit in a drawer.

To drift slightly....I seem to remember a post saying that Princess and a wireless partner are developing apps to allow intraship cellphone use over the ships wifi system.

A couple of years ago there was an experimental app for android that actually worked onboard. It's range was very limited, but it demonstrated the viability of the concept.

For some reason it crosses my mind that the cellphone app is being used on the Royal.

Anyone can download the app "Connect@sea" is the name of the iphone app. Tho it is useless if not supported onboard.

Dunno if it available for android.

If it becomes available fleetwide it probly will not be free. LOL

NCL has already started a service that lets you have intraship communication via your smartphone. It is on their newest ships, but will expand fleetwise..

Some other lines will rent you their intraship cell phones.

I agree with the above posts....the walkie talkies work real fine if you're within shouting distance.:p

We also tried them years ago, but now their novelty has worn off, and they sit in the 'old cell phone' drawer....

Really, the ship is not that big....you can find each other, especially if you go to your usual haunts. And you can always use the answering machine in your cabin to leave each other messages...

If you do decide to use a walkie talkie....please use an earphone so other's are not disturbed by the squawking.

And check for licensing/usage regulations for the channels and places you intend to use them.

Edited by bob brown

+1 on the legal issue. Many countries do not allow private citizens to use unlicensed communications devices. Use off the ship at your own risk.

I seem to recall one of the lines used to rent them to passengers but dropprd the service because reception was so spotty.

We took & tried our on two cruises, now they sit in a drawer.

You took the words out of my mouth, you may want to leave them on the ship. Most EU countries do not allow FRS walkie talkies in their country without a licenses or permit.

As for use on ship, I have seen a lot of people with them, but I don't know between lower decks and upper decks what the reception would be. Have fun and good luck. If you do use them please post any findings. I'd love to know if the work well between decks.

As for other cruise lines' offerings, Disney has an onboard wireless "telephone" system - which is wonderful. Each stateroom has two hand units, and families can rent more. You can call your travel partner, or send a text. Kids enjoy being able to communicate with their new onboard friends, and parents can easily contact their children.

The system works only on the ship, and on their private island, Castaway Cay.

Maddle

Princess allows the use of ham radios on board, but with restrictions. The radio can only be used in your cabin. It can only transmit at 20w PEP or below. Antennas can not be attached to any part of the ship. They do not allow wire antennas. Antennas can not protrude from the ship or be higher than 5ft.

To get permission to use the radio you first must get a Class Three Permit from Bermuda since the ships are registered in Bermuda. You must fax a copy of the Bermudian Permit, your US license, signed document from Princess stating you understand the restrictions, and the technical data sheet of your radio and frequencies you plan to use. Princess will then ask the ship captain if he will allow the radio's use. If he approves, Princess will send you an email telling you the captain has granted your request.

When you board your ship, you should take a copy of the documents you faxed plus the email from the captain giving you permission to the pursers desk and ask for the electronics officer. You can not use the radio until he gives his OK. He will probably want to come to your cabin and expect your radio equipment.

You may use your ham radio equipment on shore, but be sure to check the requirements for foreigner amateur radio operations. Many European countries have reciprocal licensing with the US.

Roger, N7BU

Anna, I used Motorola talkabout's when my kids were young on cruise ships. I didn't have any issues with communication. But I would consider what others are saying as far as the rules for using them in port.

Once the search feature is fixed, look on all the cruise line boards for information and tips on how families communicate on board Some have 2 hour check ins for example. I'm sure there is other great information to be found.

Also check the special interest cruising section of Cruise Critic. There is a topic for family cruising.

We are considering purchasing walkie takies for our next cruise to use onboard as well as ashore (Europe Baltic and Mediterranean ports).

We have been using them on the ships since '99. In the cabin they don't work very well, but we usually have no trouble anywhere else on the ship. We just play with the channels until we find an amost empty one. Sometimes when channel surfing we can tune into the bridge and the line engineer officer during docking and hear what they are doing. We would never leave them home or in the cabin. The new ones have mute and vibrate and all sorts of other features. They work fine!:D If you can't hear someone, just move to the side of the ship. We always have a balcony cabin so we have found that if the signal is weak just walk out on the balcony and the other person could be by the theater and everything will be good, or I'll be at the IC and my DW will be up in the Spa and we can talk, no problem. The little Motorola talkabouts are not "ham" radios and the officers on princess that I have talked with are all ok with it. No one in any port has ever said anything about not using them. The radios are always put on the outside of my backpack when I come back to the ship and the only comments from the Sec. Personnel and Ships Officers have, "do they work very well?";)

Edited by Holomoku

We use Motorola and they work very well for those times when you need to connect after independent wanderings. Make sure they are 35 mile range or above as this rating is line of sight so the ship walls diminish this range considerably. Less than this will not work well unless very close proximity.

Princess allows the use of ham radios on board, but with restrictions. The radio can only be used in your cabin. It can only transmit at 20w PEP or below. Antennas can not be attached to any part of the ship. They do not allow wire antennas. Antennas can not protrude from the ship or be higher than 5ft.

To get permission to use the radio you first must get a Class Three Permit from Bermuda since the ships are registered in Bermuda. You must fax a copy of the Bermudian Permit, your US license, signed document from Princess stating you understand the restrictions, and the technical data sheet of your radio and frequencies you plan to use. Princess will then ask the ship captain if he will allow the radio's use. If he approves, Princess will send you an email telling you the captain has granted your request.

When you board your ship, you should take a copy of the documents you faxed plus the email from the captain giving you permission to the pursers desk and ask for the electronics officer. You can not use the radio until he gives his OK. He will probably want to come to your cabin and expect your radio equipment.

You may use your ham radio equipment on shore, but be sure to check the requirements for foreigner amateur radio operations. Many European countries have reciprocal licensing with the US.

Roger, N7BU

On my recent January cruise aboard the NCL Breakaway, I brought along a portable radio scanner. While passing thru security, they looked at it and questioned me about it. I explained that it may look like a transceiver, but it only receives and does not transmit. They said they would have to have the ship's security examine it, and would return it to me at guest relations on board.

I went to guest relation's, and they told me to come back after the muster drill, to give them time to 'clear' it. I returned, and they said that they would return it when I disembark. I was getting a little worried at that point, since I was not given any receipt, and worried that it would "get lost". After a few more rounds of conversation, with a supervisor, they finally returned it to me.

Apparently they want to be sure no one can interfere with the ship's nav communications, so they would not allow a marine band transceiver....

On my recent January cruise aboard the NCL Breakaway, I brought along a portable radio scanner. While passing thru security, they looked at it and questioned me about it. I explained that it may look like a transceiver, but it only receives and does not transmit. They said they would have to have the ship's security examine it, and would return it to me at guest relations on board.

I went to guest relation's, and they told me to come back after the muster drill, to give them time to 'clear' it. I returned, and they said that they would return it when I disembark. I was getting a little worried at that point, since I was not given any receipt, and worried that it would "get lost". After a few more rounds of conversation, with a supervisor, they finally returned it to me.

Apparently they want to be sure no one can interfere with the ship's nav communications, so they would not allow a marine band transceiver....

Each cruise line has their own rules on the use of ham radios on board. Princess and Holland America are very accommodating when it comes to allowing ham radios on board. Carnival prohibits even having a radio and will confiscate the radio.

Roger, N7BU

NCL has already started a service that lets you have intraship communication via your smartphone. It is on their newest ships, but will expand fleetwise..

Some other lines will rent you their intraship cell phones.

Yes, NCL's app is really quite useful. Allows you to message back and forth between others connected via the ship's wifi network, lets you look at your current statement, make dinner or show reservations, etc. I tried it out last year, and really liked it! It was free to use, and I really think the other cruise lines should hop on that as well. FYI, there is also a feature that allows you to make calls onboard with other passengers, but I am pretty certain there is a cost to that function.

I don't understand the negative comments on this thread. Like anything, respect those around you. It's not the radios that are bothersome, but the way that a few may use them.

We take ours on every cruise. Used them in ports and on the ship. True that at times it's tough to get reception from everywhere on the ship, but there are more than enough places that they do work. And it's not like one carries on a ten minute conversation. Typically it's "where are you? OK"

I guess if one hasn't used them, they may not understand the utility of them. But we find them useful and yes, not intrusive to others when used properly.