FCC: Erosion of OBC

Anniesails

I just returned from a cruise on the Golden. PUrchased FCC and was surprised to find that the OBC has been eroded. Now you must sail for 17 days (not the usual 14) in a minisuite or better to ge the $150 OBC, for less than 17 days you will receive $100 even in a full suite. Not sure if you all knew this.:(

I say any little bit helps. For our December cruises, we had not planned on doing back-to-back cruises when we bought them on our previous cruise. I had one credit for me on the first cruise and one for DH on the second. And since they were short cruises, it was only $15 each for our obstructed view cabin. That's the biggest change that affects us. It used to be more credit for ocean view cabins than for insides. Sometimes that difference was what talked us into booking the higher category. Now we have to go to a balcony cabin to get to the next level of benefit. We're doing that next month only because the price was so low.

I just returned from a cruise on the Golden. PUrchased FCC and was surprised to find that the OBC has been eroded. Now you must sail for 17 days (not the usual 14) in a minisuite or better to ge the $150 OBC, for less than 17 days you will receive $100 even in a full suite. Not sure if you all knew this.:(

I purchased a FCC on Feb 7, 2014 and mine states

17+ days $125 Inside & Outside, $150 Balcony & Suite

11 to 16 days $75 Inside & Outside, $100 Balcony & Suite

7 to 10 days $25 Inside & Outside, $50 Balcony & Suite

3 to 6 days $15 Inside & Outside, $25 balcony & suite.

This change was made in March of 2012. Prior to March 2012 the break points were 16+ days, 10 to 15 days, and 7 to 9 days and not as you mention.

However since your $ amounts and categories don't match up to mine of just 10 days ago has there been a change since Feb 7th? Would like to know.

Yeah, was aware of this...

Yes it has been a smaller OBC for a while now. However my thought process is this:

• We pay $100 for the Future Cruise deposit

• That same $100 is actually used as the deposit on a cruise

• Princess then gives us FREE Money to spend onboard. :D

I like free money :D, regardless of amount, and am really glad Princess provides this enticement. :D

Yes it has been a smaller OBC for a while now. However my thought process is this:

• We pay $100 for the Future Cruise deposit

• That same $100 is actually used as the deposit on a cruise

• Princess then gives us FREE Money to spend onboard. :D

I like free money :D, regardless of amount, and am really glad Princess provides this enticement. :D

We agree, free money is always good since we are cruising anyway :)!

Any "old" FCC's retain their old value and old 4 year expiry duration where as the new FCC's have a 2 year expiry. We always keep lots of FCC's on hand so we still have a couple of old ones to use for just the right cruise. We also just used an old one each for a 10 day OV room since it got us a combined $200 OBC whereas the new FCC would only be worth $50 combined on this cruise. Old FCC's and 10 day cruises yielded a higher credit AND OV was a higher credit as well when compared to the new FCC's.

Terry

This plus, the limited 2 year time frame on FCC is detracting for us. We will still puchase but not as happy with new program. We cruise Princess, HAL, Celebrity and Cunard, so it was better to have the FCC good for 4 years.

This plus, the limited 2 year time frame on FCC is detracting for us. We will still puchase but not as happy with new program. We cruise Princess, HAL, Celebrity and Cunard, so it was better to have the FCC good for 4 years.

That's the point! It seems it still is the most generous of most, if not all, cruise lines.

This plus, the limited 2 year time frame on FCC is detracting for us.

Call Princess to extend it for another 2 years...they said there are problems managing the program when it's automatically issued for 4 years because many passengers forget about them.

I, too, am bummed about the new OBC amounts. They particularly impact me since I only book oceanview cabins -- and in some cases, that OBC dropped from $100 to $25, which is a pretty big bite. I felt unloved and unwanted by Princess.

A feeling that was only exacerbated when Princess's next move was building a ship with absolutely no oceanview cabins at all. I'm considering dressing in rags and going up to Jan Swartz, Princess's CEO, with my hands held out, asking, "Please, ma'am, may I have a window?"

I, too, am bummed about the new OBC amounts. They particularly impact me since I only book oceanview cabins -- and in some cases, that OBC dropped from $100 to $25, which is a pretty big bite. I felt unloved and unwanted by Princess.

A feeling that was only exacerbated when Princess's next move was building a ship with absolutely no oceanview cabins at all. I'm considering dressing in rags and going up to Jan Swartz, Princess's CEO, with my hands held out, asking, "Please, ma'am, may I have a window?"

There are times I really wish there was a "Like" button on Cruisecritic. We too book OV. Not too happy with reduction in FCC $$ but :)grateful for military and shareholder benefits!

As others have posted, this change was made almost two years ago and the change was from 16, not 14, to 17 days to get the maximun FCC OBC. It is the CCL stock OBC and military OBC that were and still are the maximum amount of $250 at 14 days.

It would be a significant change if balcony cabins were now grouped with inside and oceanview cabins rather than with mini-suites and full suites. Our FCCs from 01/25 still had balcony cabins grouped with mini-suites and full suites. Would you please confirm your information?

Edited by IECalCruiser

If you don't use the FCC within the 2 years, you can call Princess and they will extend the time frame. Not sure but it may be for another 2 years.

Edited by Happy2cruise
Did not see earlier post sayin the same thing...sorry!