More RCI Cost Cutting?

What have you seen?

Well, I won't name names, but what I've seen is certain someones around here looking for ways to smuggle alcohol, avoid tipping, avoid any sort of upcharge, look for free this, free that, drink themselves into oblivions during free events, gorge themselves at the buffets, etc, etc, and then turn around and complain about cost cutting....never seeming to see the connection.

But aside from those people, cost cutting is a way of life. If you think RCI has cut costs, you should see what's happened to my organization in the last few years. :rolleyes:

Looks like a cut leek to me. Might be a different allium cultivar, but I'd wager on a leek. That's definitely a fun table setting!

Now that you mention it, I do think our waiter once told us it was a leek. As for an "allium cultivar" I have no idea! :eek::cool:

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Well, I won't name names, but what I've seen is certain someones around here looking for ways to smuggle alcohol, avoid tipping, avoid any sort of upcharge, look for free this, free that, drink themselves into oblivions during free events, gorge themselves at the buffets, etc, etc, and then turn around and complain about cost cutting....never seeming to see the connection.

love it!!! spot on!!!

Alliums are the group of plants include things like onions, garlic, leeks, chives, etc.

So... I definitely like alliums in my food! :thumbup: :) Now I have to go look up cultivar - was he one of those early Explorer guys? Nah, I'm thinking that was bolivar. :D

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Edited by LetsGetWet!

We noticed the lack of logo products fleet wide a year or so ago. Napkins, paper cups, plastic cups, drink stirrers etc. It even crossed our minds that perhaps the logo was changing. We wondered if the lack of logo was company wide, but we sailed Celebrity last month and the Celebrity logo was on everything.

Ice is a non issue as it is available to everyone, just upon simple request. (Some feel the need to tip to get ice - no tip needed, just ask the cabin attendant). Not sure how the lack of ice in the room is classified as cost cutting. Most land-based hotels don’t have ice waiting or ice changed every day. And, many land based restaurants provide ice water only upon request. It is considered a conservation attempt.

Not sure how a staff not wanting to empty the fridge is a measure of cost cutting. Just take the products out and place them on a shelf. It takes 30 seconds, max. Again a non issue

It never crossed my mind that the timing of a loyalty event was designed to save on drinks. We had brunches or mid-morning cocktail parties for years. Nice that they have the party. If the timing or dress code is not convenient, don’t go. A non issue

While I don’t consider the above to be a sign of cost cutting, I have seen some of the higher standards decline on RCCL. The most noticeable is the food quality and the additional charges (fresh juice, better cuts of beef, etc).

Lastly, RCCL has an obligation to its stockholders to run an efficient company. Decisions, financial or otherwise, must consider the bottom line. If any of you are stockholders ( as we are) you should be happy with RCCL’s decisions as the stock has climbed nicely.

M

M

As you point out, many of the issues of the OP are 'non issues' personally. I fully agree with you, that the most noticeable changes have come in the area of food services, as you so aptly include charging for fresh juice and better cuts of beef. These disturb me/annoy me and the company would still have a very profitable year, if they did not so significantly make changes in this area.

All the other things are fluff or irrelevant to me. Napkins, time of C&A events, and all the other items matter little.

DH and I always have a great time on vacation cruising with Royal, that has remained from the first cruise 11 years ago to the last one we took in Nov 2013, and as we look forward to our next one in June 2014.

We also are considering a stock purchase....but that is a different story.

On the Legend 1/24 and 2/3 cruises...top tier event was casual... held in the Solarium. Was a very nice, well attended party. Had a chocolate fountain w/server dipping strawberries... yum! Lots of finger food and live music. We had 2 different cabins and had towel animals about half the nights. No problem if we had them or not. The stewards work so hard...It certainly does not impact my cruise if I get a towel animal or not. No chocolates on pillows...again no problem...I never ate them...dh always did. We has superb service for all 21 nights so maybe that was why we never noticed some of those little things that didn't matter anyway.

I guess I'm in the minority, because I don't care at all about any of the cuts mentioned by the OP. Sure, there have been cuts and price increases in the cruise industry, just as there have been everywhere else. Have you been to the grocery store recently?:rolleyes: I actually think the cruise lines have done a pretty good job of keeping cruises affordable while still providing a good product.

I'm concerned about being on a beautiful ship, pleasant surroundings and decor, smiling service, and the view from my balcony. I really don't care if my loyalty coupons are in a booklet or loaded onto my card.:p

I don't believe RCI is responsible for "lowering standards". It's the consumer public. Remember when air travel was enjoyable, but the traveling public wanted lower fares. In order to meet the public clamor, in 1978 the government deregulated the airline industry. Now you get nickled and dimed on everything, luggage, food, early boarding,wider seats, even aisle seats. Get used to paying for juice, upgraded steak etc, the public wants lower prices. Be careful what you wish for, you'll probably get more (or less) than you bargained for.

I guess I'm in the minority, because I don't care at all about any of the cuts mentioned by the OP. Sure, there have been cuts and price increases in the cruise industry, just as there have been everywhere else. Have you been to the grocery store recently?:rolleyes: I actually think the cruise lines have done a pretty good job of keeping cruises affordable while still providing a good product.

I'm concerned about being on a beautiful ship, pleasant surroundings and decor, smiling service, and the view from my balcony. I really don't care if my loyalty coupons are in a booklet or loaded onto my card.:p

Actually prices in the cruise industry have gone done, from what I have heard over the years. Even in my own 10 year cruise history, we have actually spent less on a week long cruise recently than our first cruise on Navigator back in 2004. We had a balcony cabin then and we take a balcony cabin on all of our 7 day cruises. So we are comparing apples to apples.

Most of what people have complained about, as ways for the cruise line to save $, simply don't bother me. Imprinted napkins, or pens and paper in the cabin (this is annoying, but I always carry a pen and pad in my travel pouch), or even the chocolates on the pillows nightly carry little impression on me. Service does, and service remains important; quality does, and quality food remains important. It is my vacation and feeling pampered for my 'week off' is important. I am totally fine, with my perks being electronic rather than in a coupon book -- I will know what I am entitled to, and sparing a tree from being destroyed, is fine with me.

At the risk of getting skewered by some of the rude posters on this thread here are my anecdotal observations about RCCL cost cutting.

I have a full time job so am not as frequent a cruiser as many on this forum but in the last 12 years will have accumulated 36 cruising days on RCCL once I get back from my May cruise. In additon to that I have cruised on Celebrity and NCL one time each. Here are my general observations;

First RCCL cruise was on Brilliance of the Seas in 2002 for her first T/A crossing when she was only about six weeks old. Beautiful ship, great crew, great buffet and MDR food. Enjoyed immensely the midnight buffet with all of the ice carvings, fruit carvings etc that have been phased out.

2nd cruise was four years later in 2006 which was a T/A crossing on Celebrity's Constellation. We did not think anything could top our first modern cruise on Brilliance but Celebrity stepped it up a notch with everything mentioned above about Brilliance even better on Celebrity.

3rd cruise was NCL in 2008. I was not impressed. Nothing horrible but just did not click with us and we thought the food was inferior to our 2002 RCCL cruise and the 2006 Celebrity one.

4th cruise was RCCL T/A crossing on Mariner 2012 and was disappointed to see the Windjammer selection seemed much more limited and repetitive and the MDR food also seemed to be less in both quality and variety. Pretty much on par with the 2008 NCL cruise. Also no midnight buffet with the ice / fruit carvings etc which I found out has pretty much happened industrywide. Also did not have the cool towel animals every day but most days. It may be silly but it was always a treat to come to the stateroom and see what that day's animal was.

I work for a large corporation and know exactly what is going on. CEO's and CFO's are always desperately searching for ways to hit their profit numbers for the fiscal quarter or to hit the analysts consensus prediction because anything less will negatively affect the stock. This cycle of pressure causes these large compnay executives to make poor long term decisions sometimes for the sake of short term gain. I just read an analyst today saying that RCCL is projecting increased net profit from the European market this summer which makes me wonder what they are doing to acheive that. More cutbacks? Even less budget for food?

I understand the need to increase revenue creatlively through things like the speciality restaurants and novel activities beyond cruising (like Quantum's crane, etc) but it is discouraging to see cruise companies diminish the basic cruise experience through some cost cutting measures.

Just my two cents. Let the bashing begin. Oh, by the way I am a RCCL stock holder as I wanted to get the on board credit. LOL Bottom line is that I am now more open to checking out Holland America, Princess, and Cunard than I would have been.

Edited by notladjr

We have a winner.

But aside from those people, cost cutting is a way of life. If you think RCI has cut costs, you should see what's happened to my organization in the last few years. :rolleyes:

Because we use the fridge for my Insulin and Hubby's Embril which must stay cold plus fruit and juice we bring from the Jammer in case my diabetes is wonky with extra walking that day.

For the week it's our fridge and there isn't enough room with all the Woo Haa in it as well.

Special case, I know.

The first thing I did when I entered my room (I was also on this sailing), I emptied the fridge by opening up the bottom left hand drawer and placed everything from the fridge & their water into the drawer until Saturday evening when I sat it all back on the counter

Hopefully it was a one time thing regarding the donuts as i liked the donuts and my son really liked them as well.

I am filipino and liked the pandesal "salt bread" in the am buffet and that was gone as well. Hopefully that is just ship dependent but it has been on my last several cruises. Not likely cost cutting maybe just head chef preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From what we were told they threw every last thing away from the noro cruise. There were a lot of little stuff missing yet and it will be another week, at least, before all the supplies are back to normal.

They also throw out every last crumb of food. They had a different food supplier for the last two or three cruises.

I don't believe RCI is responsible for "lowering standards". It's the consumer public. Remember when air travel was enjoyable, but the traveling public wanted lower fares. In order to meet the public clamor, in 1978 the government deregulated the airline industry. Now you get nickled and dimed on everything, luggage, food, early boarding,wider seats, even aisle seats. Get used to paying for juice, upgraded steak etc, the public wants lower prices. Be careful what you wish for, you'll probably get more (or less) than you bargained for.

Two posts that are spot on.

OP, sorry to hear you were disappointed but as stated, some of these things are not new. Ice has been "upon request" for some time now and even then, it's only a one-time request for the whole cruise, right? No biggie. Also, the cabin steward is NOT responsible for the fridge (cooler) items - that is now and has been for some time the responsibility of Bar Services. Your cabin steward had every right to decline your requests but perhaps s/he was rude about it, I don't know.

Can you explain the "Formal Wear required" comment concerning the top tier event?

Part of the reason for no automatic ice is to prevent Noro virus.

Cruises in the late 80s and early 90s cost more than what it is now in 2014 dollars. Cruising used to be significantly more expensive, and only affordable by the upper class.

Now cruising is easily affordable on a middle class income.

As someone that started cruising in 1990, i would gladly save thousands of dollars and not have the midnight buffets, pens, postcards, bags, pillow chocolates, daily ice in every room, actual bathroom amenities, luggage tags, table flowers, and the truly white glove service.

Although, I do miss them knowing your name before you got on the ship and the free in cabin movies and the free soft drinks in the dining room.

I do feel that the service is definitely degrading more quickly in the last year than previous though. Hopefully it is just isolated incidents, but I had a cabin steward never make my sons pack and play sheets for a whole 14 night trip and one who when I asked to turn down the room state "I was just getting done, and was gonna go off shift" than turn down my room cuz we left a little later cuz we were feeling ill.

So if the coupon books aren't physical anymore, how do you know what the discounts are? Is there some physical documentation that lists what "coupons" are loaded on your SeaPass card?

They are listed for you on your interactive TV in the room. Also when you go somewhere that a coupon applies, it is usually automatically deducted. We went to Johnny Rockets and had BOGO shakes on our list, which I'd forgotten about and never thought of while there and our waiter told us they were one of our coupons..and automatically used it when we ordered shakes.