Booking Flight to and from Miami

cruisin4Becky

We are taking our 3rd cruise ever in December .for the first time we will be flying from Richmond to Miami.my question is, how far in advance should I plan on booking airline tickets? Our cruise starts December7. Is that a particularly busy week for flying.If so I want to book as soon as possible. I know to make sure I book one that gets to Miami with plenty of time to spare,and will be making use of Carnival's pre and post cruise transfer service.thanks for any help you can give me.

I've found that the lowest prices are about 45-60 days out.....generally speaking! Too far in advance and the price is pretty high....but if you get too close to your travel date, the prices skyrocket.

I would just check prices frequently, and when you see something you can deal with, book it!

Are you sailing from Port of Miami? If so, a cab is faster and usually cheaper ($24 for up to 4-5 people).

If you are flying in the day of, be aware that you are flying in winter & there could be flight cancellations from bad weather in other locations that could affect your ability to get there. We tend to be contingency planners & fly or drive in a day ahead of time.

In Miami, we recently stayed at the Hampton Downtown based on a recommendation from a CC member, and it was wonderful. It was within walking distance from a grocery store & a pedestrian restaurant/shopping area. It was in the financial district so it didn't have the higher prices of the port area, but even with cab fare to the port was a great deal, nice room, and a clean place.

If you are flying in the day of, be aware that you are flying in winter & there could be flight cancellations from bad weather in other locations that could affect your ability to get there. We tend to be contingency planners & fly or drive in a day ahead of time.

In Miami, we recently stayed at the Hampton Downtown based on a recommendation from a CC member, and it was wonderful. It was within walking distance from a grocery store & a pedestrian restaurant/shopping area. It was in the financial district so it didn't have the higher prices of the port area, but even with cab fare to the port was a great deal, nice room, and a clean place.

even if I take a nonstop from Virginia to Miami?

even if I take a nonstop from Virginia to Miami?

It might never snow in Richmond in December, but the plane may be coming in from some place like Chicago or Minneapolis. I would always fly in at least one day before.

Whatever you decide, you should check air fares every week from now on - they do fluctuate, if you see something good, jump on it - but certainly book something by early October at latest - they rarely go down that close in, and can often sky-rocket.

I second the cab. We just went on a Disney cruise last month. It is $24.00 per cab (not per person) from the airport to the cruise terminal. Yes it is each way so it would be $48.00 not including tips to and from.

http://www.miami-airport.com/hotel_shuttles.asp

Ship Transfer = Luggage & cruisers loaded on a bus or van, wait for bus to fill up, stop at EVERY airlines at MIA, stop and unload luggage and passengers at each airline......."privateer vans" do the same thing, don't be tempted.

As awreaper said, take a cab, there will be plenty waiting for you $24.00 flat rate to and from MIA

Edited by SMerritt

You might want to check fares into Ft. Lauderdale. Its only a 30-40 minute ride to Miami. If you use a shuttle service like SAS, you can pay about $18 pp for a shared ride to Miami. People do it all the time, sometimes the cheaper fares (Southwest w/free luggage :)) more than make up for the slight inconvenience of having to travel to Miami. (Although Southwest is only showing flights thru August now.)

If you did want to fly into Miami, the key to booking air is that if its a price you are happy with, book it. :)

And I would definitely fly in the night before. Flying in December can get dicey, like someone else said - just because there is good weather in Richmond and Miami - no guarantee your flight couldn't be delayed.

You are at the mercy of where the flight originates and the weather there.

Sounds like this is probably an AA flight. If so, the 1x daily RIC-MIA flight on AA is a regional jet that comes in the evening before from MIA. That's how it's set up now...but it could change by the time OP flies. However, in all likelihood, it will remain that way - the plane will come in the night before from MIA. BUT, if American decides to change schedules, it could always come in the night before from New York, increasing the chances of winter delays.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have been diligently checking flights and finally booked one.

I gave thought to your sugestions and we have indeed decided to fly down the day before and spend the night at a hotel. Already booked!! free shuttle from airport to hotel,and also ,big bonus.. free shuttle to the port.

thing is , I have already booked the pre and post shuttle from carnival. is it possible to call Carnival and cancel the pre-cruise pickup,since the hotel offers one? its not a ton of money,only 32 dollars for 2 people. but hey,more money for DOD's LOL.

Another question,we have booked an 11:30 flight home from the cruise. Do you think that is enough time to get to MIA if we plan to do self-assist disembarking? Really don't want to miss that plane!!

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have been diligently checking flights and finally booked one.

I gave thought to your sugestions and we have indeed decided to fly down the day before and spend the night at a hotel. Already booked!! free shuttle from airport to hotel,and also ,big bonus.. free shuttle to the port.

thing is , I have already booked the pre and post shuttle from carnival. is it possible to call Carnival and cancel the pre-cruise pickup,since the hotel offers one? its not a ton of money,only 32 dollars for 2 people. but hey,more money for DOD's LOL.

Another question,we have booked an 11:30 flight home from the cruise. Do you think that is enough time to get to MIA if we plan to do self-assist disembarking? Really don't want to miss that plane!!

I think you'll be glad you're coming in the day before. I live in LA and even though our weather has been okay the last month, there's been plenty of local news stories about how the bad weather in the mid-west and east coast has affected flights in and out of LAX. There's generally a ripple effect that will surprisingly affect the transportation patterns as a whole.

Plus, you can relax the night before, have a casual meal in Miami, go to a store if you had forgotten something (or want to get some beverages for your cruise). You'll wake up near the port and not have a major trip to get there.